Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The PAK-FA Saga Episode X

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Trident
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • May 2004
    • 3965

    Originally posted by Roylarson View Post
    You've seen the pak-fa shape now.

    Time to guess the RCS range (between x and y) now.
    Guessing hard numbers is a waste of time, but broadly speaking the T-50 looks as though it has a shot at matching the F-35, while (predictably) falling somewhat short of the F-22 on all-aspect stealth due to its nozzles. Clearly, we are looking here at the first genuine (manned) VLO aircraft flown outside the US however, and the first non-US 5th generation fighter design. RCS should be substantially lower than even a clean Eurocanard or Super Hornet and if it can match or exceed the latter group of aircraft in terms of flight performance, Sukhoi have a winner on their hands!
    sigpic

    Comment

    • over G
      Muttley!Dooo sooomething!
      • Jul 2004
      • 1975

      The wing seems to have a high swept, and what are these canards or big slats?

      Any top view?
      "It won't let me put a weapons system on it, even when I can see it visually through the canopy. annoys the hell out of me."

      -Best joke ever

      Comment

      • Flyboy77
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Oct 2007
        • 313

        Looks like the T-50 has a new generation HUD. Makes me wonder if the cockpit layout is just like the Su-35, like it has been stated.

        Last edited by Flyboy77; 29th January 2010, 10:52.

        Comment

        • Flyboy77
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Oct 2007
          • 313

          Originally posted by over G View Post
          The wing seems to have a high swept, and what are these canards or big slats?

          Any top view?

          Comment

          • mrmalaya
            Generation 4.75+++
            • Jan 2010
            • 4664

            the future of this website is now assured!

            as a long standing fan of the YF23, I can now rest easy that it is in the air in some form at least!

            (thats if you discount the BLACK project rumours).

            I think this aircraft is going to be very good for the Western Defence Industry, because its going to secure the future of the F35 and Typhoon Tranche 3 at the very least.

            A beautiful and very Russian take on the 5th Generation theme, and heartwarming that all new aircraft don't have to look like a very soul less F22...

            Good Job all round!

            Comment

            • over G
              Muttley!Dooo sooomething!
              • Jul 2004
              • 1975

              Originally posted by Flyboy77 View Post
              Thank you
              "It won't let me put a weapons system on it, even when I can see it visually through the canopy. annoys the hell out of me."

              -Best joke ever

              Comment

              • Deino
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Jan 2000
                • 4224

                I just tried - after a bit in several other forums + my own thoughts - a first summary of details (some are already mentioned here):

                1. The cockpit-canopy reminds my very much (like the T-50 at all) of the YF-23 -but there seems to be a strange middle frame..

                2. IMO for a Russian bird a very large wide-hangle (holo) HUD.

                3. What are these strange strakes or fairings on the wing's roots ?

                4. The front part of the LERX seems moovable ??!!

                5. The overall fuselage - esp. the inner section between the engines - is very wide and IMO we can see to weapons bays.

                6. Again in typical Sukhoi or Flanker fashion there's one gun on the right side of the T-50 (some say it is now officially the Su-50) ??

                7. ... and it has an all-moving vertical tail

                What do You think ???

                Andi
                Last edited by Deino; 26th April 2012, 16:22.
                ...

                He was my North, my South, my East and West,
                My working week and my Sunday rest,
                My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
                I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.

                The stars are not wanted now; put out every one:
                Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
                Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods:
                For nothing now can ever come to any good.
                -------------------------------------------------
                W.H.Auden (1945)

                Comment

                • Trident
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • May 2004
                  • 3965

                  flightglobal.com say the landing gear was retracted during the flight and if you look at this HQ version of the Vesti clip, you can see it happening at around 18 seconds into the video, just before the aircraft is lost in the sun's glare:

                  http://video.yandex.ru/users/russian...PPfzskcd8ZQ#hq

                  Can't wait to see a photo of it in clean configuration!

                  Also, when the T-50 is shown taxiing in after landing in another video, a small ball-shaped appendage is seen aft of the canopy - MAWS? A second IRST?
                  Last edited by Trident; 29th January 2010, 11:04.
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • totoro
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Apr 2006
                    • 1026

                    Those fairings near the wing root do seem peculiar. The left picture seems to show a bit of a gap between them and the wing though. Could it be they are some sort of pod for various EW equipment? (here, of course, thered be only stand-in structures, but later on they'd tack on real equipment)

                    Comment

                    • haavarla
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 6694

                      Originally posted by Trident View Post
                      flightglobal.com say the landing gear was retracted during the flight and if you look at this HQ version of the Vesti clip, you can see it happening at around 18 seconds into the video, just before the aircraft is lost in the sun's glare:

                      http://video.yandex.ru/users/russian...PPfzskcd8ZQ#hq

                      Can't wait to see a photo of it in clean configuration!

                      Also, when the T-50 is shown taxiing in after landing in another video, a small ball-shaped appendage is seen aft of the canopy - MAWS? A second IRST?

                      Yes you are right.
                      I find this a bit off since the first flight of any aircraft are with the gear unretracted..
                      Perhaps this is not the very first flight people?


                      Thanks
                      Thanks

                      Comment

                      • haavarla
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 6694

                        Originally posted by totoro View Post
                        Those fairings near the wing root do seem peculiar. The left picture seems to show a bit of a gap between them and the wing though. Could it be they are some sort of pod for various EW equipment? (here, of course, thered be only stand-in structures, but later on they'd tack on real equipment)
                        No, id say its some form of control surface.. like its movable.
                        It looks that way at least

                        Edit: Ah.. i mean some form of wing leading surface controls.


                        Thanks
                        Last edited by haavarla; 29th January 2010, 11:13.
                        Thanks

                        Comment

                        • HAWX ace
                          How do you turn this on?
                          • Jan 2010
                          • 696

                          What about the tail cone, do you think it will incorporate a mini backwards looking radar? Has enough space for that, it seems...
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • Trident
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • May 2004
                            • 3965

                            Originally posted by haavarla View Post
                            Yes you are right.
                            I find this a bit off since the first flight of any aircraft are with the gear unretracted..
                            Perhaps this is not the very first flight people?


                            Thanks
                            Not necessarily, to provide a few recent examples, both the A400M and the Boeing 787 did so on their first flights as well.

                            On a related note, the past 3 months have seen an amazing number of first flights, and a whole slew of very significant ones at that - exciting times!
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • haavarla
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 6694

                              Originally posted by HAWX ace View Post
                              What about the tail cone, do you think it will incorporate a mini backwards looking radar? Has enough space for that, it seems...
                              Yes.
                              This has been stated many times with the Flanker series but i have never seen anything.. perhaps it deemed to costly.
                              Wich i think is not a problem on this baby, since it will have a higher price tag anyway?



                              Thanks
                              Thanks

                              Comment

                              • rsetiawan
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Jun 2006
                                • 271

                                would french n swedish start their 5gen fighter project after this ?....

                                Comment

                                • Flyboy77
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • Oct 2007
                                  • 313



                                  Comment

                                  • TooCool_12f
                                    Rank 5 Registered User
                                    • Dec 2009
                                    • 3321

                                    nice looking aircraft

                                    about the LERX, I don't think it's movable (it's not in down position while landing, for example) but the space between it and the fuselage may provide additional vortex to increase lift and add more manouverability, similarily to "saw cut" on delta wings

                                    Comment

                                    • Sintra
                                      Rank 5 Registered User
                                      • Aug 2007
                                      • 3849

                                      Originally posted by mupp View Post
                                      I have a question (not a an airpower guy so bear with me)...but what does this mean for the Eurocanards?.....to me (little knowlage) they look slightly..."outdated" now.
                                      "Slightly"?!
                                      Outdated a LOT, you mean.
                                      sigpic

                                      Comment

                                      • Sintra
                                        Rank 5 Registered User
                                        • Aug 2007
                                        • 3849

                                        Originally posted by Flyboy77 View Post
                                        Beautiful bird.
                                        Is it me or the Saturn design was indeed the "real thing"?
                                        sigpic

                                        Comment

                                        • Vetinari
                                          Rank 5 Registered User
                                          • Aug 2007
                                          • 102

                                          Originally posted by Deino View Post
                                          I just tried - after a bit in several other forums + my own thoughts - a first summary of details (some are already mentioned here):

                                          1. The cockpit-canopy reminds my very much (like the T-50 at all) of the YF-23 -but there seems to be a strange middle frame..



                                          Andi
                                          The canopy will be f-22 style, no frames. A few months ago there was some leaked documentationon the net about the bid contract. I think it should be ready by this year's end or something.
                                          It's not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewere, would much rather you weren't doing.

                                          Comment

                                          Unconfigured Ad Widget

                                          Collapse

                                           

                                          Working...
                                          X