Collapse
No announcement yet.

Russian Aviation News - Part Deux

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Twisted
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Apr 2008

^What missiles is '35 carrying? (I'm no expert on RUS weapons )

Comment

• Trident
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • May 2004

Awesome photos! Two observations: First, whoever builds the radomes for KnAAPO Flankers has dramatically improved their quality - on 902 it looks rather decent, on previous Flankers (not limited to KnAAPO either) it always looked crudely made. Interestingly, radomes on MiG-29s were much better, about the only area where their fit and finish was not inferior to the Su-27 family. Second, the third of the Sukhoi high-res pics shows the Su-35 jamming on its brakes, differential rudder movement has replaced the airbrake
      sigpic

Comment

• CommanderJB
        Rank 3 Registered User
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Twisted View Post
        ^What missiles is '35 carrying? (I'm no expert on RUS weapons )
        OKB Vympel R-77 (AA-12 'Adder') MRAAMs on the underwing pylons and R-73/74 (AA-11 'Archer') SRAAMs on the wingtips. They don't have the black banding characteristic of training rounds, but as the R-73s seem to have painted-over sensor windows, I'm assuming that's what they are.
        And I agree with Trident, beautiful images; thanks for posting them up. They really give you an idea of the sheer size of the Flanker. Purely out of interest, where did you find this set?
        Last edited by CommanderJB; 4th April 2009, 12:23.

Comment

• Twisted
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Apr 2008

Thank you, Mr.Commander.
          Originally posted by CommanderJB View Post
          Where did you find this set?
          http://www.sukhoi.org/gallery/?galle...gallery_id=142

http://www.knaapo.ru/rus/gallery/eve...-35_flight.wbp

Comment

• CommanderJB
            Rank 3 Registered User
            • Nov 2008

Ah, my thanks. Interesting that 902 seems to have been repainted with a slightly different scheme specially for the Review since that second set of photos, which were taken late last year, whereas 901 apparently has not (though the nosecone does seem to have a new coat since pictures posted a few months back, in which the paint had begun peeling off, I would guess as a result of the speed and altitude testing they were doing at the time).
            Last edited by CommanderJB; 4th April 2009, 12:40.

Comment

• EELightning
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Jan 2009

Thank you very much for the pictures, Otaku! They are absolutaly wonderful!

And thank you too, Twisted & CommanderJB!

Those SU-27/35's look intimidating for sure, they look brutal and would head butt you just for looking at them...A bit like that guy Joe Pesci plays from the Goodfellas movies...You just don't look at him & keep out of his way if you're in the same bar as him. hehe

The second pictures look beautiful, with the SU, the ground beneath it, the heat haze(s) from the engines. Very nice!
              sigpic

Comment

• CommanderJB
                Rank 3 Registered User
                • Nov 2008

The Airliners.net gallery has been updated again, with these new images of interest:
                This one gives a much better look at the mystery pod on Su-34 'Red 03'. It's obviously much too small to be a military payload and has no camera window, so it certainly looks like you were right on the money Ken.
                Then there are these two of Ka-52 '061 Yellow' and '062 Yellow' respectively. I have a few of queries about these, if people are willing to answer them; firstly, 61 appears to have only a steerable optical sensor turret as opposed to an optical turret and smaller subsidiary turret that I would guess is for targeting equipment, what I believe are DIRCM balls, and, given that the former is less recessed than before, looks like it has enough room for a radar in the nose as well. Given the rather greater feature set on the latter, is this going to become the production version, with the set on 061 merely being a developmental version? Secondly, what is the flat box with two circular panels in it semi-recessed under the tail area - some kind of MAWS or LWR unit, perhaps? And lastly, what is the missile complex in use here? It certainly doesn't look like the Vikhr classically associated with the type, but nor does it look like the Ataka-V which I believed was its primary competitor. It's not a Khrizantema, is it?

Comment

• ink
                  ink
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Jan 2000

I too have some questions about 062 Yellow:

What's the thing in the blue circle? 061 Yellow has it too.

What are the things in the red circles? 061 Yellow doesn't have these.

Thanks in advance.
                  Attached Files
                  Regards, Ivan

Comment

• Trident
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • May 2004

Originally posted by CommanderJB View Post
                    Secondly, what is the flat box with two circular panels in it semi-recessed under the tail area - some kind of MAWS or LWR unit, perhaps?
                    Doppler navigation system, I believe. The same box is found on other Russian helos as well. Nevertheless, the Ka-50/52 is fitted with an LWR (two sensors fore and aft, they're tiny and hard to see though) and has at least provisions for a MAWS (4 circular sensors fore/aft, left and right in each case).

Originally posted by ink View Post
                    What's the thing in the blue circle? 061 Yellow has it too.
                    Good question, I have no idea. Could be any of the following, IMHO: RWR, ECM or missile datalink.

Originally posted by ink View Post
                    What are the things in the red circles? 061 Yellow doesn't have these.
                    DIRCM turrets.
                    sigpic

Comment

• ink
                      ink
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Jan 2000

Thanks Trident, you confirmed my suspicions re: the DIRCM turrets. Still curious about the antenna in the blue circle - I haven't seen that on Ka-52s before (or just haven't noticed it).
                      Regards, Ivan

Comment

• CommanderJB
                        Rank 3 Registered User
                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Trident View Post
                        Doppler navigation system, I believe. The same box is found on other Russian helos as well. Nevertheless, the Ka-50/52 is fitted with an LWR (two sensors fore and aft, they're tiny and hard to see though) and has at least provisions for a MAWS (4 circular sensors fore/aft, left and right in each case).
                        Thanks, much appreciated.

Comment

• ink
                          ink
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Jan 2000

Russia and Brazil:

MOSCOW, April 6 (RIA Novosti) - Russia will start deliveries of Mi-35 Hind attack helicopters to Brazil by the end of 2009, a senior government official said on Monday.

The Russian helicopter beat off fierce competition from the Augusta A-129 Mangusta and the Eurocopter AS-665 Tiger to win a Brazilian tender last fall.

"We have recently signed a contract to deliver 12 Mi-35 helicopters to Brazil. The first deliveries will start by the end of this year or the beginning of 2010," said Alexander Fomin, deputy director of the Federal Service on Military-Technical Cooperation.

The official said the contract was worth about $150 million.

The Mi-35 Hind E is an improved export version of the famed Mi-24 attack helicopter, which combines high fire power with a troop transport capability.

Fomin also said Russia's Su-35 fighter had a good chance of winning an ongoing tender for the delivery of over 100 fighters to the Brazilian Air Force.

Brazil wants a multirole fighter to protect its national airspace as well as to monitor smugglers in the Amazon basin and guard the country's offshore oil rigs. However, Brasilia also wants the multi-billion dollar contract to reenergize the domestic defense industry through home-grown production and as much technology transfer as can be afforded.

"We are actively participating in the Brazilian tender, which has been reopened. It involves over 100 fighter planes. Russia has made a bid in the tender with its Su-35 multirole fighter. The tender has stiff requirements involving not only the sale, but also the transfer of technology. It is a key condition of the deal and Russia is ready to satisfy it," the official said.
                          Regards, Ivan

Comment

• Distiller
                            Talent on Loan from God
                            • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Trident View Post
                            Awesome photos! Two observations: First, whoever builds the radomes for KnAAPO Flankers has dramatically improved their quality - on 902 it looks rather decent, on previous Flankers (not limited to KnAAPO either) it always looked crudely made. Interestingly, radomes on MiG-29s were much better, about the only area where their fit and finish was not inferior to the Su-27 family. Second, the third of the Sukhoi high-res pics shows the Su-35 jamming on its brakes, differential rudder movement has replaced the airbrake
                            All that investment in CNC machines paid off
                            Airbrake is gone, wonder if that's "max brakes" or if they can also do a F-22 like spread.

@ mystery pod: Dummy for buddy-buddy pod?

@ blue circle: data link, I'd say.

@ red circle: No DIRCM - wrong position. And why two? I'd say it's some bistatic optical sensor.
                            "Distiller ... arrogant, ruthless, and by all reports (including his own) utterly charming"

Comment

• Flanker_man
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Jan 2000

Originally posted by Distiller View Post
                              @ mystery pod: Dummy for buddy-buddy pod?
                              I doubt it - they already have a buddy.buddy pod - the UPAZ pod fitted to the Il-78 tanker and used in the buddy-buddy role on the Su-24 and Su-33.

Ken
                              Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast.
                              Flankers (& others) website at :-
                              http://flankers.co.uk/

Comment

• Austin
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Oct 2003

Couple of questions on the Su-35BM

1 ) What is the percentage of composite ( by surface area and by weight ) does Su-35BM use ?
                                2 ) Can Su-35BM supercruise with useful load ?
                                3 ) Does RuAF intend to buy these new aircraft ?

Thanks
                                "A map does you no good if you don't know where you are"

Comment

• echonine
                                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Austin View Post
                                  Couple of questions on the Su-35BM

3 ) Does RuAF intend to buy these new aircraft ?

Thanks
                                  Yes, they have said this a thousand times.

Sukhoi is also expecting the deal to be finalized soon.

Comment

• Distiller
                                    Talent on Loan from God
                                    • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Flanker_man View Post
                                    I doubt it - they already have a buddy.buddy pod - the UPAZ pod fitted to the Il-78 tanker and used in the buddy-buddy role on the Su-24 and Su-33.

Ken
                                    That nose winglet seems to be a AoA sensor. What kind of toy would need that? AoA input could be of some value when unrolling a hose.
                                    "Distiller ... arrogant, ruthless, and by all reports (including his own) utterly charming"

Comment

• Scooter
                                      Rank 5 Registered User
                                      • Jan 2000

Originally posted by echonine View Post
                                      Yes, they have said this a thousand times.

Sukhoi is also expecting the deal to be finalized soon.

Good luck with that one...............Russia is cutting its defense budget by 15% next year! That sad, I believe PAK-FA Development is still on track....
                                      F-35 Lightning II

Comment

• ink
                                        ink
                                        Rank 5 Registered User
                                        • Jan 2000

@ blue circle: data link, I'd say.
                                        My guess also.

@ red circle: No DIRCM - wrong position. And why two? I'd say it's some bistatic optical sensor.
                                        Hmm... A bistatic optical sensor for what exactly?

EDIT: If it is a DIRCM system it might have two emitters in order to cover both sides of the aircraft properly. Just a guess.
                                        Regards, Ivan

Comment

• echonine
                                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Scooter View Post
                                          Good luck with that one...............Russia is cutting its defense budget by 15% next year! That sad, I believe PAK-FA Development is still on track....
                                          You did conveniently leave out the part about the new equipment procurement budget not being cut right? Scootfail at its best.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X