Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

The J-10 is a 'looker'!

But where are the decoy launchers? :confused:

Member for

20 years 2 months

From SDF (tphuang)

Confirmation that CAC is in charge of 4th generation (Known as 5th gen in some countries) fighter project.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Noticed that the J-10 in the last two images Hyperwarp posted above are carrying PL-11s. Is this because of a shortage of PL-12s, or are they for whatever reason seriously planning on using it operationally long-term? I'd think that the PL-12s would go to the J-10s first, with the J-8IIs (especially older models that can't take the PL-12) relying on the PL-11 for the most part. SARH weapons are a limitation in your air combat effectiveness, especially when all of your potential adversaries are relying primarily on ARH weapons themselves.

Member for

20 years 2 months

Noticed that the J-10 in the last two images Hyperwarp posted above are carrying PL-11s. Is this because of a shortage of PL-12s, or are they for whatever reason seriously planning on using it operationally long-term? I'd think that the PL-12s would go to the J-10s first, with the J-8IIs (especially older models that can't take the PL-12) relying on the PL-11 for the most part. SARH weapons are a limitation in your air combat effectiveness, especially when all of your potential adversaries are relying primarily on ARH weapons themselves.

Those older images.....

I just put them to add more to the post since it was the 1st of this thread...:D

Member for

24 years 2 months

Really? I don't think I'd seen them before either way.

Member for

24 years 2 months

What PL-11s? They're not carrying PL-11s, they're carrying fake PL-8s for wing ballast.

The planes, with their camouflage patterns, belong to the earlier types and I guess had this sand colored painted over their usual blues. I'm trying to ascertain if the color change is done digitally or this is a real paint over. J-10s with camouflage patterns belong to the FTTC unit, which did many of the operational testing and training, and probably works as an Aggressor unit as well given that the FTTC is home to the PLAAF's Aggressor units.

Member for

24 years 2 months

What PL-11s? They're not carrying PL-11s, they're carrying fake PL-8s for wing ballast.

The planes, with their camouflage patterns, belong to the earlier types and I guess had this sand colored painted over their usual blues. I'm trying to ascertain if the color change is done digitally or this is a real paint over. J-10s with camouflage patterns belong to the FTTC unit, which did many of the operational testing and training, and probably works as an Aggressor unit as well given that the FTTC is home to the PLAAF's Aggressor units.

SOC was referring to the last two links in Hyperwarp's post ... not on the shown J-10.

Regarding the sand-camo ... I'm nearly 100% for sure that these are done by PS, esp in the rear area where the PLAAF-symbol is, it looks quite strange.

I will have to look on my harddrive these pictures look very much familiar ...

Deino

Member for

18 years 4 months

The J-10 is a 'looker'!

But where are the decoy launchers? :confused:

I could be wrong about this, but take a look at the pictures in the links.

Member for

15 years 11 months

Isn't the seeker for the PL-12 imported? If so the quantity available depends on that key piece.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Could simply be that there is an abundance of PL11s in the PLA arsenal, that as you say, are disadvantaged compared to the ARHAAMs used by most potential adversaries. Thus it would make more sense to let your pilots practice firing PL11s instead of PL12s since the uses of the two are similar enough to provide the needed practice for BVR combat (only real difference being that with a PL12 you can hand off guidance to the onboard active seeker whereas you would need to keep illuminating the target with a PL11 until impact) without depleting your best missiles.

To Arkali106:

No, the seeker on the PL12 is not imported. China can make as many as they want, and with Chinese expertise in mass production, that can be a lot, and the until price is also almost certain to be lower then any foreign competitor.

Member for

20 years 6 months

http://hk.news.yahoo.com/article/080821/4/7tcy.html

*RUMOUR*

17 August 2008:
Morning, two criminals carrying explosives, attacked and wounded an armed guard, at Cang Kou AB, near Qing Dao City, Shan Dong Province.
The criminals escaped, without explosives.
On 19 August, two suspects arrested.

Member for

20 years 6 months

"If it's on Xin Hua Net, it must be true."

http://news.xinhuanet.com/mil/2008-09/02/content_9753471.htm

31 August 2008:
PLA Mi-171 LH94742, tasked with Olympics security, has mysterious devices on its wings.

(IMO, Chinese engineers have finally invented R2 units for space navigation.
And yes, a local TV channel is re-playing The X-Files, season 1, on Monday to Thursday nights; and I've been re-watching it.)

Member for

20 years 6 months

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2008\09\06\story_6-9-2008_pg1_6

"China, Sweden to provide spy planes to Pakistan: Air chief"

Saturday, September 06, 2008

LAHORE: China and Sweden will provide state-of-the-art surveillance aircraft to Pakistan, Chief of Air Staff Air Chief Marshal Tanvir Mahmood Ahmed said on Friday. According to Geo News, he said four AWACS aircraft from China and four SAAB-2000 aircraft from Sweden would reach Pakistan soon. Talks were also underway for the purchase of 30 to 40 FC-20 aircraft from China, he added.

[IMO, I'll believe it when I see it.]

Member for

19 years 4 months

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2008\09\06\story_6-9-2008_pg1_6

"China, Sweden to provide spy planes to Pakistan: Air chief"

Saturday, September 06, 2008

LAHORE: China and Sweden will provide state-of-the-art surveillance aircraft to Pakistan, Chief of Air Staff Air Chief Marshal Tanvir Mahmood Ahmed said on Friday. According to Geo News, he said four AWACS aircraft from China and four SAAB-2000 aircraft from Sweden would reach Pakistan soon. Talks were also underway for the purchase of 30 to 40 FC-20 aircraft from China, he added.

[IMO, I'll believe it when I see it.]

any confirmation about the type of AWACS PAF willget from china Y-8 AWACS rotating disk-like radar or KJ-200 with radar like that of Saab Erieye 2000 AEW&C ??

Member for

24 years 2 months

The recent AFM says KJ-200