Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pics Request

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ha27
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Dec 2005

Pics Request

hi,pics request for Su-15 aerobatic team 'Red Falcons',please
    thx
  • Flanker_man
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Jan 2000

Originally posted by ha27 View Post
    hi,pics request for Su-15 aerobatic team 'Red Falcons',please
    thx
    AFAIK, there was no such team.

There were rumours of a Su-15 team called 'Golden Hawks' - see the attached photo - but this has been discredited.

The photo appears to be from a Czech source - and is probably fake.

In his book, 'Autographs in the Sky' - about Soviet & Russian aerobatic teams - the author, Nikolai Valuyev, covers the development of Russian aerobatics from Czarist days to the present.

It is a pretty definitive work - and nowhere does he mention a Su-15 team.

I also corresponded with him about the possibility of such a team - and he replied, to the effect that :- "why would you use a Su-15 - not exactly noted for its manoeuvreability - for aerobatics"??

I would love to be proved wrong - but AFAIK - there were no Soviet/Russian aerobatic teams using the Su-15.

Ken
    Last edited by Flanker_man; 21st December 2007, 20:07.
    Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast.
    Flankers (& others) website at :-
    http://flankers.co.uk/

Comment

• press
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Jul 2005

I know I saw a short film with a red MiG-19 flying some acrobatic maneuvres...that might be the Red Falcon.

Comment

• Flanker_man
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Jan 2000

Originally posted by press View Post
        I know I saw a short film with a red MiG-19 flying some acrobatic maneuvres...that might be the Red Falcon.
        There were various 5/7/9-ship MiG-15/17/19 aerobatic 'teams' - some of which had red topsides - but they were not named as such - that is a relatively modern practice - as with the Strizhi & Russki Vityazi.

The post-war displays in the 1950/60/70's at Tushino & Domodedovo were usually given by 'regimental' aerobatic teams - it wasn't until later that they 'coalesced' into national teams - based at Kubinka - representing the best that the USSR had to offer.

The same is true of most western teams - certainly in the RAF, it was the front-line squadrons who formed the first jet aerobatic teams - on Hunters and Lightnings.

Although in this case, they did give themselves names - Blue Diamonds, Black Arrows etc.

The UK's 'national' team - the Red Arrows' did not form until much later.

Ken

Comment

• ha27
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Dec 2005

thanks Flanker_man,I'm found this art for Su-15'Red Falcons'
          Attached Files

Comment

• Flanker_man
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Jan 2000

Originally posted by ha27 View Post
            thanks Flanker_man,I'm found this art for Su-15'Red Falcons'
            But I think that's all it is - art

Ken

Comment

• Levsha
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Flanker_man;
              There were various 5/7/9-ship MiG-15/17/19 aerobatic 'teams' - some of which had red topsides - but they were not named as such - that is a relatively modern practice - as with the Strizhi & Russki Vityazi.
              I think the most famous Soviet red display team aircraft I know of would have to be the all-red Yak -15s used in formation displays over Tushino and Red Square in the late 1940s and 1950s. I believe the MiG-9 was also similarly painted and displayed.

I also corresponded with him about the possibility of such a team - and he replied, to the effect that :- "why would you use a Su-15 - not exactly noted for its manoeuvreability - for aerobatics"??
              Well, I guess the Su-15 would be a bit large and unwieldy for an airshow display team (and a bit expensive too) - but can you imagine the sound of all those engines as they zoom by in formation...

Mind you, any allegations of poor agility never stopped the USAF Thunderbirds display team from using these 2 types below...

Thunderbirds F-105B and F-4E, plus 'krasniye' Yak-15s...
              Attached Files

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
              X