Maverick for RAF?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Read that the RAF is to operate the AGM-65G Maverick. Is this the first time that AGM-65's have been used by the RAF?

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: Maverick for RAF?

As far as I know the USA is the only NATO country to use the maverick on such aircraft as the A-10 however I would be surprised if the RAF were to start using the aircraft as the Tornado GR4 is apparently being equipped with the Brimstone Anti Armour Weapon. Where did you here about the RAF adopting the maverick?

Regards...Maverick.

Member for

24 years 3 months

The source escapes me, but I could easily be wrong or misread an article. AGM-65 wouldn't really make sense for the RAF, although it's price is probably competitive with Brimstone.

Member for

24 years 3 months

UK Defence Secretary, Geoffrey Hoon, stated in reference to the RAF procurement of Mavericks "In March 2000 I announced trials of the integration of Maverick anti-armour missiles on Harrier GR7.... I have now decided that we will proceed with the procuremnet of Maverick missile as soon as the integration trials are successfully completed" (Source RAF News No. 1004 August 4, 2000)

Member for

24 years 3 months

I remember reading (I think it was in Janes) that the Maverick was being procured for the Harrier force due the dropping of the development of the cannon system. Is it possible that the RAF is going for a no gun airforce.

Member for

24 years 3 months

At 672 pounds the AGM-65G is considerably heavier than Brimstone but has the 300 lb blast/frag warhead. The Harrier could only carry two to four of them versus a lot of Brimstones. In fact , the "G"'s weight precludes it from being carried on the LAU-88 three-round launcher.

The other thing is that Brimstone and Maverick may, depending on which AGM-65 is bought, have different guidance systems. Brimstone, IIRC, is a radar guided missile, wheras Mave could be E/O, IR or laser

I read in Flight International that the Maverick was being bought as a stop gap until the delivery of the Brimstone as the RB755 is no longer considered effective in the anti-armour role (also probably because of the controversy over land-mines and cluster bombs recently).

FI also reported that the RAF has reduced its order for the Brimstone which is not expected to enter service for several years. The only problem with the brimstone is that because it is and autonomous attack weapon/fire and forget - its millimeter wave seeker does not have sufficient discrimination to tell the difference between a tank and a tractor (mil & civ) at the moment, though this may change. In my opinion it is likely that NATO is collecting radar signatures of just about every vehicle possible for integration in to platforms such as JSTARS and ASTOR etc. The brimstones current lack of discrimination somewhat limits its useability depending on the scenario.

Regs,

KZ