The RAF doesn't suck, but...

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

The RAF doesn't suck, but the British MoD sure does...
Please recall...

"We can replace all our manned aircraft with missiles"

Cancelling of the TSR.2

Going from angled-deck carriers to smaller Harrier taxis

And now...

"We can save money by deleting the Eurofighter's gun"

Comments?

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: The RAF doesn't suck, but...

Totally agree!

Member for

24 years 3 months

yes it is true. damn they really needed the guns! Now what are they going to do when they are too close for missiles? later.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I agree too!
They done that to the F4 Phantom in Nam. Thats why they lost more aircraft, and thats why they invented Topgun ,to retrain the lost art of dogfighting (using guns!!!).

P.S. For any new readers, Topgun doesn't have F14's they have F15's; they used F14's because it was cheaper at the time (lousey cheap skate movie makers!!!!!!!!!)

SEE YA!!:7

MAV

Member for

24 years 3 months

The US Navy has never had any F-15's. Topgun was originally a US Navy program, the Air Force caught on and created the Fighter Weapons School at Nellis AFB in Las Vegas. Topgun was at NAS Miramar in San Diego.

I think Mav is confusing the F-15 and F-16. The USN used 26 F-16Ns until cracks were detected in their wings in the early 1990's. In the movie TOPGUN F-14s were never used as adversary aircraft, only F-15E/Fs (as Mig-28s?)and A-4s. The F-14s were from fleet quadrons based at NAS Miramar. Today the Top Gun programme at NAS Fallon uses F-14As and F/A-18A/Bs and also F-5E/Fs of (I think) VFC-13 and VMFAT-401 USMC.

Oops typo altert! "...only F-15E/Fs..." should read "...only F-5E/Fs..."

Member for

24 years 3 months

british Mod is manned by people who don't know how to do their jobs ,They have came out with plans that are absurb like this gun thing ,off course keep the gun it is already designed with it and it doesn't cost a lot more .Well other than the RAF and RN the British Army is also one of their victims with the axeing of 4th parachute battalion to save money there is not enough reserve troops for the air assualt brigade this affects their operational capability .

Member for

24 years 3 months

how many missiles will the EuroFighter carry? If you think about it that is how many shots they will have without guns. So if you miss with that missile you will be in a world of pain. How can they do that to the Airforce? England with there next plane will need to have a Top Gun place made so there pilots can figure out simple gun firing skills. Thanks later.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I believe EF2000 has 13 hardpoints, so...

Member for

24 years 3 months

...operationally it will probably carry about 10 missles, which means about four ASRAAMs, thats 4 shots at the enemy in a dog fight! Shocking.

But I thought that it was only the first batch of Typhoons that would lack the all important gun. Am I mistaken?

Member for

24 years 3 months

The first batch will have the gun, all others will have it deleted.