Bomb Bay sizes

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 3 months

Hi gents..don't know if this has been done..but I was wondering, with stealth and internal bays making a comeback, what the sizes were for different bomb bays over the years.Length,breadth,depth.Also pics would be great.Not just of the F-35 and Raptor, but large bombers, Buccaneer,F-105, F106, Canberra, ..hell even the CASA 101 and AT-3!!! Anything with a bay!

Original post

Member for

20 years 5 months

F-105: 190in x 32in x 32in

Member for

20 years 9 months

Distiller, is this considered roomy? it would be interesting to know how big the TSR-2's weapons bay was....

Member for

18 years 3 months

If you have a search on the web, The makers sent out a press release with photos last year showing various UK Munitions being test loaded into a F-35 weapons bay by UK loaders from the RN and RAF who were asked along to try it out.

Member for

19 years 3 months

So the F-105 bay in metric is 4,82m x 0,81m x 0,81m...Does anyone know the buccaneers?I know it was bulged later with an extra fuel tank in the bomb doors...

Member for

20 years 5 months

Distiller, is this considered roomy? it would be interesting to know how big the TSR-2's weapons bay was....

For a single engine aircraft it sure was rather huge.

The TSR.2's bay was about 250in long (a little less I think). It is said it could fit six Mk.83 bombs, and those are a little under 120in long and 14in in diameter, whereby the fins are 18in across. And since the TSR.2 was designed to carry the WE177 nuclear warhead, which was a little fatter than a Mk.83, the bomb bay should be 25in or so deep minimum. But that is just a guess.

The Bucaneer was able to carry four Mk.83 internally, so the length of the bomb bay should again be about 250in long, 30in wide, 25in deep. Again an estimation.

Member for

18 years 5 months

F-105: 190in x 32in x 32in

F-105!?!? The Thud has a weapons bay? Or do you mean F-106 DeltaDart? :confused:

/Zippo

Member for

19 years 8 months

Yup, the Thud had a bomb bay. It was supposed to be for carrying a nuclear bomb, but in SEA and thereafter it carried a fuel tank in there instead.

Member for

18 years 5 months

Yup, the Thud had a bomb bay. It was supposed to be for carrying a nuclear bomb, but in SEA and thereafter it carried a fuel tank in there instead.

Wow. You learn something new every day :)

Member for

24 years 2 months

The original Q-5 Fantan variants had a bomb bay I believe. I'm not sure they still do because I think it's fitted with a fuel tanks in later models, but perhaps they can use it if they feel the need. Hopefully crobato will come along with the sizes and the weapons carried inside the Fantan's bay. I believe it was intended for a small nuclear weapon.

The F-106 and F-102 both had bays with the F-106 having one large bay, and the F-102 actually having three separate bays. I guess they weren't bomb bays per say, but weapons bays seeing as they carried Super Falcons and Genies in the case of the Dart and Falcons and 2.75-inch FFAR's or Nuclear Falcons in the case of the Deuce.

Another aircraft with a bay was the F-111. I know the B43 and AGM-69 SRAM were some weapons that were carried as well as the M61A1 20-mm gun and 2000(?) rounds. There was also the fitment of Pave Tack in the F-111F.

Member for

19 years 8 months

The F-111B carried Phoenix in the weapons bay. I'm not sure if it was one missile or two. There was also a launcher for two Sidewinders that could be installed in the bay

Member for

19 years 8 months

F-105 bay tank

Here is an F-105G with the bay open.

Attachments

Member for

19 years 8 months

Here is an F-105 with the bomb bay open.

Attachments

Member for

24 years 2 months

The F-111B carried two AIM-54's in the weapons bay, while four more could be carried under the wings. I've always wondered if other weapons types were planned for the F-111 or not. It would seem that the outboard pair of pylons could be used for AIM-7's and AIM-9's (AIM-9's are seen on regular F-111's nowadays for self-defense anyway).

Was a gun ever planned?

Member for

20 years 5 months

Here's a shot of the M61 Vulcan cannon installed in the F-111 weapons bay:

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/images/f1117jr_1.jpg

Member for

24 years 2 months

Interesting. Looks like a similar installation to that found on the last F-106's in USAF service.

Also interesting that it leaves enough room for another store.

Did the gun carry 2,000 rounds?

How many rounds did the gun in the F-106 carry?

Member for

20 years 5 months

Interesting. Looks like a similar installation to that found on the last F-106's in USAF service.

Also interesting that it leaves enough room for another store.

Did the gun carry 2,000 rounds?

How many rounds did the gun in the F-106 carry?

Pictures of F_106 with gun on the website below:
http://www.f-106deltadart.com/index1.htm

650 rounds.