Unbuilt Projects - LAMPS III contenders

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 9 months

I'm an amateur researcher on unbuilt aerospace projects. It is a hard work to preserve the aerospace design memory but that's my passion. (I thank Keypublishing for its next Air Enthusiast November/December 2005 issue!!)

I'd like to ask for some help about a Kaman helicopter design I saw in a magazine but from which I have no pics

Kaman proposed a LAMPS III design which looked like an enlarged Seasprite.
Can anybody show me a pic or drawing of this design?

Original post

Member for

19 years 1 month

There was a model of the Boeing YUH-61A that was proposed to the US Navy before the SH-60 was selected.Not sure if it was ever tested with the LAMPS III avonics,but still,interesting unbuilt chopper.

Member for

18 years 9 months

Thanks a lot for the pic SteveO!! and thanks for the info Iranian (do you have a pic of this LAMPS III configured YUH-61A model?)

I have a very sketchy drawing by myself about the Kaman LAMPS III proposal but I would like to see the real thing... :p

Attachments

Member for

19 years 1 month

Nope,no pic of the YUH-61A LAMPS,although,I seem to remember a b&w pic in a book,maybe not.Its been a few years since I read about it.And is it me,or does that drawing look like a Sea King? The engines,the landing gear sponsons,even the body look right on like a SH-3 Sea King,although cude.

Member for

19 years 2 months

Kaman LAMPS-III

Copy of LAMPS-III image from Interavia

Attachments

Member for

24 years 2 months

There's a colour picture in Bill Gunstons Modern Military Aircraft.... but this book was published waaaaay back in 1977... This is a time when the Boeing YC-14 and McDD YC-15 were flying... when the F/A-18 was still known as the YF-17... when the MiG-29 and Sukhoi Su-27 were for all intents and purposes twinkles in the designers eyes!

Member for

18 years 9 months

Wow,

The sketch I made was not very accurate...

Thanks a lot for the pic JAZZ!!!

Member for

18 years 9 months

I can't find the book Gzyl...so if anybody can show more pics from YUH-61 LAMPS III or Kaman LAMPS III it would be of great insterest for me.

Thanks!

Member for

20 years

Boeing YUH-61A

Attachments

Member for

18 years 6 months

Not only did Boeing's YUH-61 lose the LAMPS III competition to Sikorsky, Boeing also lost to the Hughes (later McDonnell Douglas) AH-64 in the AAH competition.

Boeing got as far as a mock-up with strange staggered side-by-side seating combined with a rotor system borrowed from the YUH-61.

I've attached a low quality scan of a Boeing publicity photo.

Member for

20 years

TinWing, thanks for sharing that Boeing AAH pic, it's the strangest looking attack helicopter I've seen for a while :)

Member for

24 years 2 months

TinWing, thanks for sharing that Boeing AAH pic, it's the strangest looking attack helicopter I've seen for a while

What about this one mate?

http://www.airwar.ru/image/i/ah/ah54-i.jpg

Or thins one?

http://avia-dejavu.net/CCCP-21142.JPG

Or even this one?

http://www.iiaf.net/aircraft/helicopters/images/hh43_jpg.jpg

Member for

18 years 3 months

Not only did Boeing's YUH-61 lose the LAMPS III competition to Sikorsky, Boeing also lost to the Hughes (later McDonnell Douglas) AH-64 in the AAH competition.
Boeing got as far as a mock-up with strange staggered side-by-side seating combined with a rotor system borrowed from the YUH-61.
I've attached a low quality scan of a Boeing publicity photo.

Very interesting of your Boeing AAH mockup. It seem to be a paratactic seat helicoptoer, but the photo is too small to be clear, could you post a clear one?

Member for

18 years 11 months

What about this one mate?

While I'll admit the Cheyenne is pretty dorky looking sitting on the ground I've always thought that once it's gear's up it's THE best looking attack helicopter of all time. That or the Sikorsky S-67. IMO Boeing's wins the prize for butt-ugly (maybe they were trying to go for the record with the X-32 :diablo: )

While I'll admit the Cheyenne is pretty dorky looking sitting on the ground I've always thought that once it's gear's up it's THE best looking attack helicopter of all time. That or the Sikorsky S-67.

The S-67 for sure! Most elegant helo ever :)

Member for

18 years 7 months

I found the YSH-61 pic at last!It is here:

Precious "whatiff" computer art and a scan of the real design from Boeing

Hi Pometablava

Under what sub heading do I find this picture of the Boeing-Vertol YSH-61?

Regards
Pioneer

Member for

14 years 7 months

interesting, thanks!