Singapore tender : F-15T favourite to beat the Rafale

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 9 months

Boeing’s F-15T is favourite to beat Dassault Rafale, but decision could slip into 2006

Singapore is expected to select its next-generation fighter by the end of September, with Boeing’s F-15T considered the frontrunner for the eight- to 12-aircraft requirement. Negotiations with the US manufacturer and French rival Dassault concluded about two months ago, resulting in preliminary contracts for the F-15T and Rafale.

Industry sources say a selection must be made by the end of September to preserve Singapore’s requirement for 2008 deliveries, but it could delay the acquisition until 2006 and settle for 2009 deliveries.

Singapore’s Defence Science & Technology Agency has completed its evaluation of the F-15T and Rafale and is believed to be recommending the Boeing fighter, although the selection must still be approved by top levels of Singapore’s government.

The US Defence Security Cooperation Agency last week notified Congress of the potential F-15T sale, allowing it 30 days to respond to the proposal. While the sale is not expected to be challenged, Singapore wants to make sure it receives the weapons package it seeks through foreign military sales channels before a commercial contract is awarded for the aircraft and engines.

The 22 August notification reveals that Singapore is seeking an extensive armaments package, including 200 AIM-120 Amraam and 200 AIM-9X Sidewinder air-to air missiles, 50 GBU-38 Joint Direct Attack Munitions and 30 AGM-154A Joint Stand-off Weapons, both armed with BLU-111 warheads, and 30 unitary warhead-equipped AGM-154Cs. Singapore has also requested 24 Link 16 multifunctional information distribution system low-volume terminals and 44 AVS-9(V) night vision goggles.

The F-15 variant offered to Singapore is similar to the 40 F-15Ks due for delivery to South Korea from October, but will feature Raytheon’s APG-63(V)3 active electronically scanned array radar. Singapore plans to order eight to 12 aircraft, plus eight to 12 options, but could acquire more if Lockheed Martin’s F-35 Joint Strike Fighter is further delayed.

Dassault’s Rafale is seen as the outsider, as Singapore would be the launch customer for the type’s export version, which requires the addition of new equipment. The competition has already been delayed by more than one year and another delay beyond September would require new bids from the manufacturers.

http://www.flightinternational.com/Articles/2005/08/30/Navigation/181/201234/Singapore+closes+in+on+next-generation+fighter+.html

Original post

Member for

18 years 10 months

I hate Flight International. :mad:

Member for

19 years 10 months

Does anyone have the unit price of the APG-63(V)3 for a decent sized order (20SAF+say 100USAF)...Also looking at the proposal i dont see any point for the SAF to go with this radar when the USAF itself is planning on upgrading to the APG-63(V)4 for its f-15E's.

Member for

20 years 7 months

what BS are they spouting? the feeling on the ground here in Singapore is that the RAFALE is ahead!!

our chief of defense force is heading to France in september. officially it's an introductory visit, with a jaunt down to Cazaux AB to visit our LIFT detachment, but chances are it has something to do with the NGF programme and the Rafale, seeing as the decision will be made this month.

but really, only time will tell.

bring_it_on, or anyone - please post specs on APG-63(v)4 if possible. much appreciated!

Member for

19 years 4 months

will be a shame if the F-15 wins this competition..and to think that FI claims that the evaluating agency is pushing for the F-15 ! rubbish !

Member for

19 years 10 months

bring_it_on, or anyone - please post specs on APG-63(v)4 if possible. much appreciated!

As u know they are all based on the apg63(v)2 AESA radar..the (v)3 varient replaces ""bricks"" with ""tiles"" ie. do away with the brick modules (TR) and move onto the Tile modules..The APG-63(v)4 reuses transmit/receive modules from the (V)3 and introduce updated processors from Raytheon’s APG-79 AESA radar installed on Boeing’s F/A-18E/F Block 2 Super Hornet. The radar upgrade would enable the aircraft to track an expanded group of threats, including cruise missiles.

Member for

20 years 7 months

so i guess it's a (v)3 with a better backend. sounds good... thanks!

Member for

19 years 10 months

so i guess it's a (v)3 with a better backend. sounds good... thanks!

the V3 is around 250 pounds lighter then the v2 on the USAF f-15C (18 at elmendorf)...whereas the V4 varient increases effeciency,speed of processing and reduced maintance requirment...

Member for

18 years 9 months

F-15E Strike Eagle Taking Off With Singapore Contract?

The U.S. Defense Security Cooperation Agency recently notified the public of a possible Foreign Military Sale to Singapore of advanced ordnance, plus logistics, training support, and associated equipment and services for F-15 aircraft. The total value, if all options are exercised, could be as high as $741 million. Given that:

>Singapore does not currently fly F-15 aircraft (it flies F-16s, F/RF-5s, and A-4SUs)

>The F-15E Strike Eagle was named to an April/05 shortlist with Dassault's Rafale for Singapore's $1 billion A-4SU fighter replacement contract
Closer U.S. military ties in recent years are expected to give the F-15E a slight edge; and

The recently-retired head of U.S. Pacific Command was honored at almost the same time with Singapore's Meritorious Service Medal - Military
...the natural question is whether the Government of Singapore has made or is very close to making a decision regarding its future fighter purchase.

The proposed deal also highlights other trends.

The equipment requested by Singapore was diverse, but many are among the most advanced in the U.S. arsenal. These weapons themselves are not definitive with respect to the fighter contract, however, as all of them could also be carried by F-16s.

>24 Link 16 Multifunctional Information Distribution System/Low Volume Terminals (Fighter Data Link Terminals);

>200 AIM-120C Advanced Medium Range Air-to-Air Missiles (AMRAAM) and 6 CATM-120C AMRAAM Captive Air Training (CAT) Missiles. The AIM-120C is America's most advanced medium range air-air missile.

> 200 AIM-9X Sidewinder Missiles; and 24 AIM-9X Sidewinder Captive Air Training and Dummy Missiles. The AIM-9X is the most recent version of the short range Sidewinder air-air missile, and it has just started to enter service with U.S. fighters. It was designed to be competitive with missiles like the British ASRAAM, French Mica, Russian AA-11, German/European IRIS-T, and Israeli Python 4.

>50 MK-82 GBU-38 Joint Direct Attack Munitions (JDAM) w/BLU-111 warhead; plus 100 KMU-556 GBU-31 JDAM Tail Kit Assemblies, that can turn regular bombs into Global Positioning System guided JDAMs.
30 AGM-154A-1 Joint Standoff Weapons w/BLU-111; and 30 AGM-154C Joint Standoff Weapons. These are GPS-guided glide bombs with a range of 75km.

> 44 AN/AVS-9(V) Night Vision Goggles.

>300,000 20mm Practice Round Cartridges. Note that the Rafale uses a 30mm cannon, but F-16s and F-5s both use 20mm Vulcan cannon.

> 4 MK-82 and MK-84 "dumb" bomb practice trainers
The principal contractors will be Raytheon Missile System Corporation of Tucson, AZ and Boeing Integrated Defense Solutions of St. Louis, MO. There will be up to 10 U.S. Government personnel and 10 contractor representatives for two-week intervals annually to participate in program management and technical reviews, and there are no known offset agreements proposed in connection with this potential sale.

With these weapons, Singapore continues its military modernization by adding transformational communications and precision strike capabilities. It also enhances its interoperability with both the USA and Australia, whose military cooperation have become more important as pan-Islamic movements target the regions and pirate activities continue to rise around the Straits of Malacca. The DSCA also noted that:

"Singapore has requested a competition between U.S. contractors and foreign competitors for an aircraft program. If Singapore selects the F-15 aircraft, the aircraft and engines will be purchased commercially, for which there would be an eventual 36© notification of the commercial sale. This proposed sale includes the weapons and logistics support for the F-15 aircraft."

In response to queries on Aug 24/05, Singapore's Defense Ministry said that is still evaluating U.S. and French fighter jets and has yet to choose either of them for upgrading the country's warplanes.

In a subsequent communication, Singapore's MINDEF Public Affairs has noted that similar requests were made of both bidders re: compatible equipment. No date has been offered by the government re: a final decision.

Article...

also check out >> http://www.defense-aerospace.com/cgi-bin/client/modele.pl?prod=62055&session=dae.15612480.1124946214.Qw1RJsOa9dUAAFIf5FI&modele=release

Member for

20 years 10 months

F-15T favourite to beat the Rafale

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/sgt_schlappy/avatar-rockon.gif

Member for

20 years 8 months

F-15T favourite to beat the Rafale

.. and this absolutely objective opinion has nothing to do with the US flag posted as your avatar and is purely based on technical aspects of both aircraft involved..

thanks for enlightening

Member for

19 years 10 months

Cumon flex..people on this forum are still allowed to express opinions and emotions..!!!....I for one would want that privelage to exist as a member ie. being able to be biassed enough with enough honesty that i admit it like US AGENT has....I see no harm in him chearing that the F-15T is infront at the moment!!! HE IS QUITE SIMPLY CHERING IN JOY! :)

Member for

20 years 8 months

Cumon flex..people on this forum are still allowed to express opinions and emotions..!!!....I for one would want that privelage to exist as a member ie. being able to be biassed enough with enough honesty that i admit it like US AGENT has....I see no harm in him chearing that the F-15T is infront at the moment!!! HE IS QUITE SIMPLY CHERING IN JOY! :)

ehh, whatever.... But you are right, that is how it really ought to be...

Of course, I would expect the same level of tolerance towards those who express their (maybe even a bit biased) opinions in favor of Russian or French aircraft, too.. which is often not the case on this forum, unfortunately..

Member for

19 years 10 months

ehh, whatever.... But you are right, that is how it really ought to be...

Of course, I would expect the same level of tolerance towards those who express their (maybe even a bit biased) opinions in favor of Russian or French aircraft, too.. which is often not the case on this forum, unfortunately..

If the rafale was to win this competition or any other competition it takes part in i would most probably throw my fist in the air and give a shout out...And i definately wouldnt mind if anyone on this forum was to go ahead and cheer if the fighter he is favouring (be it a su-35,rafale,gripen or whatever) is ahead in a competition...It is only natural and humanly to be happy if things are going as u would wish..However there is a line..Mear cheering and expressing joy is one thing however showing a complete oblivience to fact and factual information is another thing....Now If someone comes out and starts to post comments such as ""my fighter is best regardless of what others say"" and starts to be ignorant of other's opinions and facts then that gets a bit annoying...there are people on the world wide web who do this time on in...And they exist pretty much in equal no.s on both side of the opinion spectrum...there are people that still would quote one thing pretaining to western equipment and others are Venik worshipers...For me it is easy to distinguish between people who are of such type and hope it is as easy for others too....hey flex as long as their are people like u and me it aint so bad ;) ;) ;) ;)

Member for

24 years 3 months

The Rafale is not in the same class as the Strike Eagle. The Su-34 is or the Su-30xy. So if they want a deep striker, theres no competition because the Russians are not invited.

Member for

24 years 3 months

What can we say ?
From a logistical point of view, the F-15 is certainly a better choice than the Rafale, expecially engine wise (If they take the same ones), and in regards to weapons
But it is a bit surprising, to replace a light attack plane with such a heavy fighter...
I personnaly would love to see Rafales flying there, but sadly I'm not sure it would make lot of sense in the practical point ov view.

Member for

20 years 7 months

contrary to what some of you are thinking, what the RSAF wants is NOT a striker.

if we wanted a striker, the competition would be for the Next Generation Striker, not Fighter. RSAF is emphasising A2A over A2G.

don't forget - we already have a significant deep-strike capability, with our CFT-equipped F-16Dblk52s, and KC-135 tanker support. on the other hand A2A is in need of a boost; if not our F-16Cs will have to face off malaysian and indonesian Su-30s.

the Typhoon may be the best A2A fighter of the candidates, but it was removed due to doubts about tranche 3 and lack of AESA.

that's why the Rafale has an even chance as well due to lower RCS and French willingness to share AESA tech.

Member for

19 years 10 months

The USAF is also giving the AESA as a part of the package.

Member for

20 years 7 months

yes, but we not only want the radar sets (RBE2AESA or APG-63(V)4) themselves, we want tech transfer and cooperation. ie. the technical and engineering nitty-gritties behind AESA tech so we can build our own AESAs and cooperate in R&D to produce improved versions.

the French and Thales are willing to give us that. but such tech transfer from US could be complicated by any number of sensitive-tech export rules or whatever. we had a lot of problems cajoling the Americans to sell us the Longbow MMW radar tech for our Apaches. what more cutting-edge AESA?

if the US will share, then they pretty much bag the deal. US AESA tech is far ahead of anyone else's.

Member for

18 years 10 months

Rafale favourite to beat the F-15T

:p

The Rafale is a F-15 killer... No more arguments, they are all already well known... :D

Member for

20 years

US AESA tech is far ahead of anyone else's.

That's why they will not share anything about it or will sell you a heavily downgrade version. :dev2:

On the other side, The French are looking for a rich, reliable and high tech partner to share the development costs and to get the radar faster on their own rafale... :)

This would be a win-win deal for both countries :cool: