F-5 engine upgrade?

Read the forum code of contact

With so many F-5's still in service. Wouldn't a engine upgrade or replacements be in order? The Tiger II is a fine little fighter but, it needs more power and range. Many are still around and have been recently upgraded with new radars and avionics. With two engines and hundreds still in service. There must be a large market? Russia would be a good candidate. Along with France, Germany, U.K., etc. etc.)

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

RE: F-5 engine upgrade?

Unless there's a comparable sized engine with the thrust rating of the J85, then i don't think it's likely to be a twin engine replacement. Single engine repalcement have lot's more candidate engines, but that would require a serious modification to the aft fuselage and the intake. I think many would rather buy the up and coming advanced trainers/LIFTs for doing the same tasks.

Member for

24 years 2 months

As I recall the F-20 Tigershark(?) was the ultimate F-5 evolution but no one would buy it because they wanted the F-16 or that other one build by MDC. It was of course a single engine design.

Regards.

Member for

24 years 2 months

yeh but the single engine turbofan would have been much better than the j85. of course th eus didn't want it to succede they had thier f-16 with j-?? (turbojet) - they tried flogging it but no one was that gulable. the people who wanted an f-5 replacment are starting now and you have -the at-50 (south korea -most promising), the iranin project (very little known), gripen (possible in this class), etc

the us have got out of what looked IMHO to be a porfitable game but the countries that brought f-5s have either moved on to bigger aircraft and brought trainer or have just got combat caperable trainers.

rabie :9

I still think it would be a good idea. With so many F-5's (A,B,E,and F's) and T-38's still in service. The market has to be big? That said, a replacement would have to be a direct replacement. (not a single engine) A new engine could offer more thrust and be more fuel efficient. Also, aren't they many other aircraft the use the J-85? Doesn't that Taiwanese jet trainer use J-85's (two)? Help me out. What aircraft use J-85's other than the F-5 and T-38?????

Member for

24 years 2 months

"Upgrading" to a turbofan just wont work on the F-5 just as it didnt work on the F-4.The j-85 is incredably efficient,infact the F-5 has one of the best power to performance ratios of any fighter ever made.Going to a turbofan would actually reduce range.When you compare the performance specs from the F-20 to the F-5,the improvement is surprizingly small compared to the gigantic difference in power.

sauron-the taiwan fighter uses garret turbofans(bizjet engines).The other major user of the j-85 is the A/T-37 draggonfly.

Member for

24 years 2 months

What ever happend to the F-5 C/D?

I know they did excist at one point, but I don't know much abouw it.

JW

follandGnat- Your saying that there is no way to improve on a jet engine that is going on 40 years old? Jet technolgy has come a very long ways in that time. Don't get me wrong. I personally know very little (some)about jet engines. Thought, that sounds like a pretty bold statement to me! Thats like saying that there is no room for improvement in the engine from a Mini Cooper.......That said, I yield to your expertise?

Scooter

It would have to be of comparable size with little or no modification to the aircrafts structure. As for the cost many countries can't afford the cost of a new aircraft. Take for example: Philippines, Mexico, Tunisia, Morocco, to name a few! All countries that fly the F-5's now. There are some countries that maybe able to afford a small numbers of current generation fighters but, would augment those fleets with F-5's anyways. Brazil is one. They are looking to get 10-12 new block 50 F-16's in the near future. Unfortunately, thats all they can afford. In that case ungraded F-5's maybe a perfect choice to supplement there F-16's. Otherwords a poor mans hi-low mix! What do you think?

Member for

24 years 2 months

The F-5 is one of the aircraft that I see right now as being a big product when it comes to upgrades. You can get quite a lot out of this little fighter if you upgrade it correctly. New engines would be a good idea. The engines on the Ching-Kuo would be a perfect choice. Each produces nearly 10,000 pounds of thrust. That would give the F-5 twice the thrust overall. Likewise I've always believe the T-37/A-37 series should have had an engine upgrade.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Oh yeah, forgot to add this. The reason the F-4/Spey combination (which I know you are referring too) never worked is because the Spey was larger than the J-79 by a good deal. At least in width. It required greater airflow and thus the intakes had to be redesigned on the F-4K's and F-4M's. This resulted in a low of top speed at high altitude (although ironically the Spey Phantom was slightly faster down low than the J-79 Phantom) A turbofan engine will/has worked in the F-4. The Israli's proved that when they worked with Boeing on the Super Phantom. This was to have two PW1120 engines in it. They were more powerful and more fuel efficient than the J-79's. The aircraft demonstrated greatly improved performance. The only reason they never went through with the upgrade was that funding fell through. This same reason (at the same time period) was what killed the Lavi program. Too great, "what could have beens" aircraft killed by lacking of funding...such a shame.

PhantomII- Will the engines from the Ching-Kuo (IDF) fit in the F-5? They look a little big to me? Do you have dimensions? J-85's are very small for a jet engine.

Member for

24 years 2 months

like i said, if you can find an existing higher thrust engine with similar dimensions...but, no, you're not going to get a new engine design, it costs quite a lot these days just to come up with a new engine. The problem is that most engines are either much smaller than the J-85 or much larger. Even the F-125s are much much larger than the J-85s. It really is a remarkable tiny turbojet. It actually would cost less for a single engine replacement than a twin because modifying fuselages are relatively cheaper. Even a higher rating twin engine replacement most likely would have to redesign the inlets anyways for the higher air flow(unless that stays the same).

Member for

24 years 2 months

scooter-The F-20 is an F-5 with better engine performance.Is it a better jet overall?I dont think so,effiecencywise.

phantom-The isreali F-4 "turbofan" your refering to is basically just a F-100 core.Yes its better than the J-79,but its not a turbofan(the outer spool is mainly for cooling.

Vortex- I believe I have established that there is a market for a J-85 replacement. That said, it would have to be of similar size and dimension. The thrust would be higher but, would need to be alot higher. Even 1,000 to 2,000 lbs would be of great improvement to the F-5 with little or no change to the intakes. If, indeed there is a large market for a J-85 replacement. Why would it not worth developing a new engine to replace it? Someone is missing out on alot of sales! (and support, parts, etc. etc.)

Member for

24 years 2 months

scooter-Ofcourse theres a market for engines more powerfull than the j-85,but theres no way in hell your going to make a turbofan with the same diameter as the j-85 thats more powerfull than the j-85.The j-85 is pretty much top of the line for turbojet technology,it moves huge volume of air very effecienly.Making large fans like on turbofans dont nessesarily make engines more powerfull,but spread out the useful load in the same kind of way 1st gear or overdrive spread out the usefull power in your car.

I'll just have to disagree and do alittle more research. Maybe a upgrade of the J-85 itself would be a better solutions? Thought, to says that we can't improve on a 40 year old design. Is just to hard to take at face value!

Member for

24 years 2 months

RE: F-5C/D & engine specs

I'm not sure about the F-5D designation, but F-5C was the designation given to the modified F-5A's that were sent to SE Asia during the mid-60's for the Skoshi Tiger program which was a combat eval for the F-5 in Vietnam.

I don't believe it will be practical to upgrade the powerplant of the F-5 series, if it was I'm certain one of the companies offering the F-5 upgrades would have jumped on it. I would imagine it is difficult to find a suitable replacement for the tiny J-85. The dimensions I have for the J-85-GE-21 are as follows: Dry weight 684 pounds, length 112.5 inches including afterburner, width 21 inches. For comparison the ITEC TFE1042-70 of the Ching Kuo weighs 1,360 pounds, is 140.2 inches long and 30.8 inches in width. Specific fuel consumption is similar between the two, with the newer engine having a slight advantage.

Mike

RE: F-5C/D & engine specs

mctodd- What do you define as practical? A replacement is needed the technolgy is available and the demand is high! Whats not practical? I see new jet engines (turbofan, turbojets etc.) develope for aircraft and helicopters all the time that are not produces in large numbers. Yet, one that could be produced in large numbers is not practical or should I say economical?

Member for

24 years 2 months

It sounds like the fog is appearing! Turbofan engines used in military aircraft are of a low bypass ratio type. They can also be known as bypass turbojets.

Personally I'd refer to it as a low bypass turbofan... others will disagree!!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Engines

Oh, I didn't realize the F125 in the Ching-Kuo was that much larger. Guess that won't work then. Sounded good at least. :) Well, what about GE taking the J-85 and updating it to more modern standards. Surely modern technology can help produce an almost identical engine with more power and better fuel efficiency. Now that I think about it, the J-85 is really a wonder of technology. Also, why did the USAF never put the J-85 in their very large fleet of T-37 Tweet jet trainers. The A-37 Dragonfly was fitted with them. Are they too powerful for the airframe of the T-37?