Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Number of Superhornets in USN?

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • totoro
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Apr 2006

Number of Superhornets in USN?

I've been trying to make up a list of SHs in US navy but it's not as easy task as it seems.
    This SAR document is a good starting point. https://www.globalsecurity.org/milit...r_2012_sar.pdf

It lists 552 Superhornets (E and F) contracted by 2013. But I haven't managed to find newer SAR documents. So all I have to go by is various news about various smaller contracts from 2014 onwards. How many have there been? Can someone list them?
    I know of the recent big MYP contract, but that's gonna yield planes in the future. I am interested in contracts that are finished with planes delivered.

As for G variant, there is a 2018 SAR document that envisions 160 airframes, so that should be about the right number even today. Unless those 160 include airframes for Australia. Do they?

Can anyone help with the whole deal?
  • bring_it_on
    2005-year of the RAPTOR!!
    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by totoro View Post
    As for G variant, there is a 2018 SAR document that envisions 160 airframes, so that should be about the right number even today. Unless those 160 include airframes for Australia. Do they?
    The 160 number is for the USN (not including RAAF). The requirement went from 114 up to 160 and the last time the Navy performed an AEA AOA the requirements ticked up to 180 (another 20). The Navy is currently awaiting a Joint AF/Navy AEA AOA completion to determine whether to proceed to that 180, stay put or pursue a different number. Navy took the 160th growler delivery last year.

On the F-18E/F fleet, with the current Multi Year Procurement contract (72 aircraft + 6 prior year congressional adds) the Navy's SH fleet will grow to 619 aircraft (this accounts for losses etc) so if you want to get the current count you can subtract all future year (FY20-23) deliveries and average out annual deliveries to account for aircraft delivered in 2019 so far..

Since no new F/18E/F SAR is required (because of quantities being below the threshold that triggers a new SAR) your best bet to dig up current and planned inventories and future plans is to look at the 30 year aviation inventory and funding plan which is usually updated (combined AF and USN/MC) with every budget.
    Last edited by bring_it_on; 22nd March 2019, 16:11.
    Old radar types never die; they just phased array

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
    X