LCA Tejas and derivatives news and discussion (reincarnated)

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 8 months

I note that the original Tejas thread disappeared. In the hope of avoiding a repetition, a reminder of a rule of conduct on the forum:

5) Posts containing swearwords or insults whether aimed at individuals or aimed indiscriminately at nations, ethnic groups, gender, religions and/or cultures will be edited or deleted. Persistent or serious offenders will be banned.

This is intended to offer a platform for information and discussion about a military aviation project, NOT a platform for infantile chauvinism. Those with a desire to post pejorative or insulting material, kindly do get an adult grip on yourselves and desist from so doing.

As a project of consequence that attracts the interest of aviation journalists around the world, I submit that it warrants a place of its own on this forum.

Original post

Member for

15 years 8 months

Plane maker Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) said it plans to deliver three more light combat aircraft to the Indian Air Force (IAF) by the end of March, taking the count of planes in the IAF’s first Tejas squadron from six to nine.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...lr5hXaBGN.html

Can't check the previous thread but I have a feeling HAL promised to deliver more by end of March ...

Member for

13 years 3 months

I note that the original Tejas thread disappeared. In the hope of avoiding a repetition, a reminder of a rule of conduct on the forum:

This is intended to offer a platform for information and discussion about a military aviation project, NOT a platform for infantile chauvinism. Those with a desire to post pejorative or insulting material, kindly do get an adult grip on yourselves and desist from so doing.

As a project of consequence that attracts the interest of aviation journalists around the world, I submit that it warrants a place of its own on this forum.

The problem is that the mods decided to can the thread, instead of handing out bans to the trolls who were busy trying to derail the thread. Too much material that was posted has been lost as a result.

Member for

13 years 3 months

Plane maker Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) said it plans to deliver three more light combat aircraft to the Indian Air Force (IAF) by the end of March, taking the count of planes in the IAF’s first Tejas squadron from six to nine.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...lr5hXaBGN.html

Can't check the previous thread but I have a feeling HAL promised to deliver more by end of March ...

Nope. They have 1 more SP to be delivered (SP-15). And they would've delivered 8 for the financial year ending March 2019.

SP-16 had its first flight a few days ago. Was posted on the IAF thread. SP-15 is the last single seat IOC fighter left to fly and it should fly before March 2019. When delivered, the No.45 Squadron will be at full strength, minus the conversion trainers.

Member for

8 years 5 months

can some one clarify this for me..

What is the Tejas with Canards? I also saw a Tejas with a tri-plane configuration

is this supposed to be MK2? is MK2 the same for both navy and land versions?

Member for

17 years 7 months

Apparently the Mk2 gained canards.

Member for

5 years 10 months

So it's official that the Tejas thread is gone permanently? I believe both of the other threads were restored so I thought the Tejas one would soon be also.

Member for

15 years 8 months

So it's official that the Tejas thread is gone permanently? I believe both of the other threads were restored so I thought the Tejas one would soon be also.

Hope you are right. The Tejas thread held a lot of info dating back for many years.

Being an optimist, I look forward to this thread disappearing ASAP :)

Member for

13 years 3 months

Cross posting from the IAF thread, since there is this dedicated LCA Tejas thread again.

From Shiv Aroor's Livefist- he actually got to fly onboard a Tejas Mk1 twin seater (PV-5) at Aero India 2019.

As has been mentioned earlier, No.45 Squadron pilots love the Tejas and want more to be inducted quickly.

In other news, the Derby BVRAAM has been operationalised on the Tejas Mk1 fleet of No.45 Squadron.

Never a more urgent time to replace the IAF's MiG-21s with India's Tejas

Note: The seat incline is clearly visible in this last pic of Shiv Aroor in the back seat of the Tejas trainer.

At the recent Aero India 2019 show in Bengaluru, Livefist editor Shiv Aroor was invited to fly in a Tejas jet with chief of the National Flight Test Centre (NFTC) Air Vice Marshal Narmdeshwar Tiwari, a veteran Mirage 2000 pilot, who, in an earlier avatar, was mission leader during precision bombings of Pakistan Army positions on the famed Tiger Hill during the 1999 Kargil conflict. Passionate and committed to the Tejas, he balks when offered that the Tejas will be a solid replacement for the MiG-21.

“It is not just a replacement, it is a much more advanced aircraft with many more roles,” he told Aroor during their 30 minute flight in Prototype Vehicle 5 (PV5) over Karnataka in which Aroor was given control of the aircraft for several minutes.

Dr. Girish Deodhare, director of the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) that administers the Tejas program, is a man with a lot on his hands at this critical juncture for the project. But he’s also very pleased with feedback he has received from pilots of 45 Squadron, who, incidentally had brought a pair of LCAs to the Aero India show for display flights, a robust show of confidence in their new jet.

“The flight test team is entirely comprised of IAF pilots from different fighter types — there are Su-30 pilots, Mirage pilots and others,” Dr. Deodhare says. “So they know what they want. The experience of flying all those jets goes into testing the Tejas. It has helped refine the jet enormously. And that is why the feedback we’re getting from squadron pilots is so good. They love the aircraft and are waiting for more.”

The ADA and NFTC are certain that they can develop and test the LCA Mk.1A and Medium Weight Fighter at greater speed and with the benefit of hard experience with the LCA Mk.1. The heavy-lifting done in proving the baseline jet gives them the velocity and confidence to navigate the development of the LCA’s next two iterations, both significantly improved and battle ready jets on paper.

”The pitfalls are visible and known to us, and we now know how to avoid them,” says Air Vice Marshal Tiwari, who is currently involved with a gradual envelope expansion exercise that will allow the LCA to spread its wing into an even more capable jet. “Our testing has a total safety record and we have been careful to ease the LCA into its true performance capabilities. The results are very impressive.”

Member for

13 years 3 months

Cross posted from IAF thread

Dr. Girish Deodhare's interview with AeroMag, Feb 2019 issue. He is the Aeronautical Development Agency Director.

https://i.imgur.com/OWGrxcq.jpg

Major points:

- Major weapons detachment near Jaisalmer, Rajasthan, in November-December 2018, where over 300 bombs were dropped over a 100 sorties.
- Aerial refueling trials done at different altitudes
- Software updates on the basis of those trials are in progress
- Confirmation of Astra BVRAAM and Brahmos NG integration being planned
- Integration of the indigenous LRDE Uttam AESA on Tejas prototypes progressing
- ADA supporting HAL for Mk1A Avionics and FCS upgrades
- Twin seater probe not identical to the single seater probe and design mods are on for the trainer to incorporate it
- Production Standard drawings for the trainer will be released by June 2019. Trainer production can begin after that
- LCA Navy Mk2 design completed and aircraft is being realised. Should be ready in 18 months (~Aug 2020)
- Major part of the AMCA design is done
- AMCA configuration is finalised, based on IAF requirements
- Higher thrust engine required for AMCA which is not available currently
- Going ahead with the F-414 as interim engine for the AMCA
- AMCA design project has been sanctioned and within 7 years the AMCA should be completed, with GE F-414 right up to certification, including the stealth part. It will be subsequently up-scaled with the higher thrust engine
- Air Force Tejas Mk2 MWF design completed

Member for

15 years 8 months

India’s Ministry of Defense (MoD) announced on February 11 that state-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) will deliver four more Tejas light combat aircraft (LCA) to the Indian Air Force in March 2019 bringing the total number of Tejas fighters operated by the service to 16.

Source: https://thediplomat.com/2019/02/indi...in-march-2019/

At last dekvery of a squadron's worth of Tejas is soon to be completed. Better many years late than never!

Referring to bkacarcher's post above, I note that the ADA Combat Aircraft Progtamme Director says "... we are confident the first FOC aircraft can be delivered by HAL before October 2019." Why a half year delay between delivery of the last IOC Tejas and the first FOC?

Interview with HAL CMD R. Madhvan published 22nd March 2019:

t is being said that HAL will face massive order issues after 2020. Besides, the proposal for 83 Tejas is yet to be converted into an actual order. What is the real picture?
We have enough orders for the next four years. The proposal for 83 LCA is likely to be converted into a firm order very soon. To augment our production, a parallel production line may be developed at AMD Nashik and work shall commence there after completion of Su-30 MKI aircraft if sufficient order for LCA is placed with HAL. Proposals for design and development of 15 LCA, supply of six Cheetal helicopters and 150 Al-31 FP engines are with the Ministry of Defence and likely to be approved soon.

Source: http://www.businessworld.in/article/...2-2018-165552/

It sounds to me that a delay in Mk1A production is on the cards - things don't get made if a decision to make them is not taken.

There are reports of positive reaction to Tejas Mk1 by IAF pilots. If these are of value (ie not simply because Tejas is an Indian design), I suggest inow would be a good time to order another 16-20 Mk1 FOC aircraft.

Member for

13 years 3 months

LCA Tejas Mk1 of No.45 Squadron ferried to Langkawi for the LIMA-2019 airshow

#LIMA2019 : IAF's Made in India Light Combat Aircraft (LCA)-Tejas, is all set to participate in Langkawi International Maritime & Aerospace Expo 2019 (LIMA). Participating team members along with 02 Tejas aircraft ferried out today from AFS Kalaikunda for Langkawi, Malaysia

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D2PPm-OU8AA63XT.jpg

Tejas- LIMA 2019 patch

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D2PPm-QUwAEtT1H.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D2PPy8IUYAEQgOG.jpg

Member for

13 years 3 months

IAF Twitter link

#LIMA2019 : 01 IL-76 & C-130J aircraft of IAF are providing the logistics support for induction of LCA aircraft to Langkawi, Malaysia. The Tejas aircraft will be participating in aerial display at LIMA 2019, showcasing its capabilities to a global audience

Member for

13 years 3 months

Tejas LA 5010 is first of its type to land in Langkawi, Malaysia for @LimaExhibition Two aircraft made 3 circuits before landing.

Alert 5 Twitter link

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D2Qeo-KVYAAMn0b.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D2Qep6DVAAA5WiD.jpg

Member for

13 years 3 months

Damn, this thing is already being pitched..Brahmos-NG on LCA Tejas Mk1/Mk1A.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D2PgyIzUcAAu8KS.jpg

Member for

13 years 3 months

Flying Daggers and Tejas landed Langkawi for #LIMA2019 @IAF_MCC

The gent on the right in the orange overalls is the CO of No.45 Flying Daggers, Grp Capt Samarth Dhankar.

Member for

13 years 3 months

CO of No.45, Group Captain Samarth "Danny" Dhankar in the cockpit. From AI-'19

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D13Cr34XgAI4y6e.jpg:large

Member for

8 years 1 month

Curious to know which HMDS is selected for Tejas.
Also want to know the effectiveness of Derby BVRAAM with ELTA 2052 in comparison to RBE2AA and meteor .

Member for

13 years 3 months

Curious to know which HMDS is selected for Tejas.
Also want to know the effectiveness of Derby BVRAAM with ELTA 2052 in comparison to RBE2AA and meteor .

DASH HMDS from Elbit.

Already integrated with the Mk1 and tested out extensively with the R-73E.

What is not yet fully clear is whether the newer i-Derby BVRAAM is the one that is to be used. Meteor's range and no-escape zone is way larger than the i-Derby which is a medium range BVRAAM.

Member for

13 years 3 months

More Tejas Mk1 pics from LIMA-2019

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/54522841_2194506350643801_8152295360321028096_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=5c5753d6f327915edbed998d065ea4c4&oe=5D482827

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/54279145_2194506387310464_2097457866095984640_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=515db1dd181291b520d7f27c9fe8d5af&oe=5D4ED890

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/54462736_2194506440643792_8444306042132627456_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=74c0b11db0a312ddcc9756c21321d81d&oe=5D022424

Member for

13 years 3 months

Referring to bkacarcher's post above, I note that the ADA Combat Aircraft Progtamme Director says "... we are confident the first FOC aircraft can be delivered by HAL before October 2019." Why a half year delay between delivery of the last IOC Tejas and the first FOC?

While that interview with R. Madhavan may have been published recently, it was clearly taken sometime late last year. The FOC was accorded on Dec 31, 2018 and final FOC at Aero India 2019.

But, that interview of his gave the reason as to why there will be no deliveries between April 2019 till October 2019. That is because while there are assembly lines in place that should be able to deliver 16 LCA Mk1 in 2019-2020, the assembly itself was delayed by the 6 month delay in FOC being granted. HAL nevertheless, moved ahead and began putting assemblies and structures into place on jigs, hoping that FOC would be achieved and no changes would be required for those parts that were already fabricated or put onto the structure.

Anyway, HAL still maintains that by end March 2020, another 16 FOC LCA Mk1 fighters will be delivered to the IAF. That would mean the second squadron will be fully equipped with all single seat fighters by this time next year.

After that, twin seaters will begin to be delivered.

There is some delay on LCA as FOC is yet to come. Even though the order was placed with us in 2006, the IOC came in 2013 from Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) and that is why we could not start production. Even after IOC, there were a large number of drawing changes and amendments, and as a result we could hardly produce anything in the first two years. Now, as we try to stabilise it, FOC is going to come in December. If it doesn’t, there might be problems next year, as we have set up assembly lines for 16 aircraft. This was also understood by the Secretary for Defence Production. Assuming that FOC comes in December, we are also making the structure parallely — believing that there will be no more changes in the drawing. So next year, we will be able to meet the targets. In case of a delay in FOC or other complications, we may not be able to meet the target. In respect of all other platforms we are on time.