Could a propeller driven aeroplane still be lethal in aerial combat today ?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 2 months

I mean for the enemy !

Any ideas ?

Attachments
Original post

Member for

6 years 3 months

A helicopter could be lethal against another helicopter.

Member for

12 years 2 months

If we only stay in the narrow confines of the subsonic visual range aerial combat, then yes, absolutely, it would be possible to design a turboprop fighter with performance good enough to hang with modern jets. Several attempts at turboprop fighters were made in the '50s, for example XF-84 and Lockheed XFV. Performance they had was equivalent to 1st generation jet fighters like Sabre etc.
We do know that well-flown subsonic jets like A-4, Gnat, MiG-17, Super Etendard were and are credible challengers for modern fighters in a close-in maneuvering fight. So no reason a turboprop fighter developed with modern technology wouldn't have power loading, acceleration, turning performance etc. required to acquit itself well in WVR regime.

However, operationally, such a fighter would make no sense at all. Dash speed and acceleration provided by afterburner is way too valuable to give up. Even though modern fighters no longer strive for Mach 2.5 or above speeds, nobody is planning to give up supersonic capability in fighter aircraft. Coincidentally this is why nobody bought Harrier as land-based air superiority fighter.

Not to mention obvious challenge of making propellors stealthy.

Member for

8 years 7 months

The thing is that Propeller fighter may no longer able to dictate the engagement compared to the fast jet. The gap becomes bigger with missile armament.

The faster jet aircraft have leisure of forcing the fight to the prop aircraft and can disengage/escape as soon as situation get tricky without the prop aircraft able to properly match.

Member for

15 years 2 months

Paralay suggested this in another thread 2015.

Attachments

Member for

8 years 7 months

Is that even for air-to air combat ?

looks to me more like those Stavatti COIN's

Member for

15 years 2 months

Is that even for air-to air combat ?

looks to me more like those Stavatti COIN's

Prop plane could be also able to fight in aerial combat...albeit better suited for COIN operations.

Member for

8 years 7 months

Prop plane could be also able to fight in aerial combat...albeit better suited for COIN operations.

See my point above regarding who dictate the engagement.

Member for

12 years 2 months

That looks similar to British Aerospace SABA from the eighties:
[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"3.jpg","data-attachmentid":3852451}[/ATTACH]

It was meant as COIN aircraft with special attention given to shooting down helicopters. SABA used unducted fan though. Regular turbofan was also considered.

Some Polish Scorpion proposals were also turboprops.

Attachments

Member for

15 years 2 months

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"3.jpg","data-attachmentid":3852451}[/ATTACH]

It was meant as COIN aircraft with special attention given to shooting down helicopters. SABA used unducted fan though. Regular turbofan was also considered.

Pusher props are still very promissing for that kinda plane.

Member for

15 years 2 months

Here is a another Paralay concept !

Attachments

Member for

18 years 8 months

In my opinion, the best option of the "direct aviation support" apparatus would be a high-speed helicopter or convertiplane. The maximum speed of 500 - 700 km / h and vertical takeoff and landing. Then plane a horizontal takeoff and landing, propeller, will be interesting only as a training aircraft.

My favorite layout of a fighter from the future for the Second World War :)

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"paralay_project.jpg","data-attachmentid":3852488}[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

15 years 2 months

In my opinion, the best option of the "direct aviation support" apparatus would be a high-speed helicopter or convertiplane. The maximum speed of 500 - 700 km / h and vertical takeoff and landing. Then plane a horizontal takeoff and landing, propeller, will be interesting only as a training aircraft.

My favorite layout of a fighter from the future for the Second World War :)

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tparalay_project.jpg Views:\t0 Size:\t144.1 KB ID:\t3852488","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"3852488","data-size":"full","title":"paralay_project.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

If you ducted those props...could it be like a "cold jet"...but still supersonic ?

Member for

6 years 3 months

Surely the jet-engined aircraft would just stay high and come out of the sun.

Member for

15 years 2 months

What if the pilot uses sun glasses ?

Member for

6 years 3 months

What if the pilot uses sun glasses ?

Won't help much when looking directly at the sun.

Member for

15 years 2 months

Won't help much when looking directly at the sun.

Many aeroplanes are fitted with a radio. Radio messages can be used to warn about enemies... from a radar operator etc ? For instance..: "Red Leader, Bogies at 2 o'clock high !"

Member for

18 years 2 months

Much aerial warfare happens at night time surely? Most of Israel's airstrikes against Syria are carried out at night I believe.

Member for

11 years 10 months

She look beautiful

Member for

6 years 3 months

Many aeroplanes are fitted with a radio. Radio messages can be used to warn about enemies... from a radar operator etc ? For instance..: "Red Leader, Bogies at 2 o'clock high !"

Won't help during the intensity of a WVR battle.

Member for

6 years 3 months

Much aerial warfare happens at night time surely? Most of Israel's airstrikes against Syria are carried out at night I believe.

The jet-engined plane will always have the advantage at the merge. And of course the prop-engined plane relies on the jet-engined plane to actually be bothered stopping to fight them WVR. It may just take them out BVR with height and range advantage or simply fly over them and bomb their bases and C4I infrastructure and then fly back over them.