Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 F-35 News and Discussion

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FBW
    FBW
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Dec 2011

I don't know why defensenews is claiming this as a major scoop of "unreported issues" most everything listed with the exception of the tires, battery issues at-30, and sea search radar mode have been listed in previous DOT&E.

The heating issue was reported way back in 2011, and unlikely to be solved without new thermal resistant coatings (F-22 had similar issues), LO ain't easy. The reporting is vague on this issue as well. It appears that the problem was noted in one incident each in 2011, not since, yet afterburner time restrictions still apply. Is this due to overcaution? Or due to fears that damage is "possible"?

The dutch roll and wing drop issues were reported early on too. The Rhino had the same issues. but the F-35B/C control issues can't be solved with an aerodynamic band aid as in the F-18 wing fence.

I'll be curious to read JPO or services respond to this reporting (if they do),
    Last edited by FBW; 12th June 2019, 14:43.

Comment

• halloweene
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Jan 2012

Did you see my comment about melodramatic title? If you check, it is a different heating issue.

Comment

• FBW
        FBW
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by halloweene View Post
        Did you see my comment about melodramatic title? If you check, it is a different heating issue.
        No, it's the same issue that was reported then (around the time they were testing envelope expansion), and listed in reports. Your thinking of the weapon bay heating that was reported later on (and I believe still unresolved), at least until block 4 improvements to bay cooling.

Comment

• halloweene
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Jan 2012

ok.

Comment

• SpudmanWP
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Jan 2009

The tire issue was reported in April.

A current example of an open category 1 deficiency is with lines on the F35s landing gear, which can rupture when a tire blows, potentially causing loss of a major aircraft system such as the brakes. Such an event requires some repair work to the landing gear, but contractor officials explained that it is not a safety concern. According to the program office, it is not a safety concern because the current workaround for this deficiency is pilot training to avoid braking on the side of the blown tire. Program test officials said that testing with deficiencies is not uncommon and they will continue to work to address them, but some may not be fully resolved for several years.
            https://www.gao.gov/assets/700/698748.pdf
            "The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Comment

• Ozair
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Oct 2015

Time to chill a bit and realize this is all part of the process.

From one of the DefenceNews articles...

An active-duty naval aviator who reviewed the documents for Defense News said the issues are reflective of an aircraft that packed in a lot of new technology, adding that, historically, all new jets have had problems.

That document looks like growing pains for an aircraft that we tried to do a whole lot to all at once, the aviator said. Youre going to see that if you dig back at what Super Hornets looked like for the first few years. Go back in the archives and look at Tomcat think about that with the variable sweep-wing geometry, the AWG-9 Radar.

"There was a lot of new technology incorporated into the aircraft, and there are always going to be growing pains.
              https://www.defensenews.com/smr/hidd...comes-erratic/

Comment

• SpudmanWP
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Jan 2009

Lockheed Martin Comments on Defense News Reporting

https://www.f35.com/news/detail/lock...news-reporting

Comment

• Shania
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Jan 2017

Valeria has nice summary with some context here https://mobile.twitter.com/ValerieIn...52063826010112

Comment

• halloweene
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Jan 2012

Little "off" info. Tests in Payerne were catastrophic. Look down capability poor , follow ground capabilities and worse, when asked what about numbers of Cat 1 failures? The answer was we a re fully aware those will be fixed quickly of course". Not to talk about capability to fly in alps environment. Trust me or not, F-35 finished last. Just ahead of EFT

Comment

• FBW
                      FBW
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Dec 2011

Little "off" info. Tests in Payerne were catastrophic. Look down capability poor , follow ground capabilities and worse, when asked what about numbers of Cat 1 failures? The answer was we a re fully aware those will be fixed quickly of course". Not to talk about capability to fly in alps environment. Trust me or not, F-35 finished last. Just ahead of EFT
                      Careful hallow, how many supposed leaks of information from these competitions have proved to be inaccurate, incorrect, or incomplete. I dont doubt youve heard this from someone. I doubt the completeness and what it means. You write for a blog or website, negative information about a competitor in a competition where the information is supposed to be secure is available to you.... its always negative reports that are leaked about aircraft in these competitions too, and often wrong.

Comment

• Shania
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Jan 2017

LM reply to article: https://www.f35.com/news/detail/lock...news-reporting

Comment

• halloweene
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by FBW View Post

Careful hallow, how many supposed leaks of information from these competitions have proved to be inaccurate, incorrect, or incomplete. I dont doubt youve heard this from someone. I doubt the completeness and what it means. You write for a blog or website, negative information about a competitor in a competition where the information is supposed to be secure is available to you.... its always negative reports that are leaked about aircraft in these competitions too, and often wrong.
                          you are right. Now tell me how many fake leaks come from someone who recently did a second stroke form carotide sicisure? Why would i care?

Comment

• eagle
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Jan 2000

You got a source for that?
                            That kind of info is not what you'd expect to be shared with the press or spotters.

But it is the Swiss AF, I guess the Rafale mafia is strong especially @ Payerne.
                            How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more.
                            Yngwie Malmsteen

Comment

• ActionJackson
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Oct 2010

I'm gonna go ahead and say this is just Halloween talking out his ..... Again.

His desperation knows no bounds as has been seen. The comment about Alps environment? Really, for an aircraft that is to operate from Alaska and routinely flies at 40k ft?

Not even well thought out bullsht.

Comment

• Marcellogo
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Jun 2014

Let's say that no one of this deficience seems something so big to cast a doubt about the whole of F-35 program but thirteen of them in a row is definitively something to worry about and surely is something that would advice strongly against any early mass order.

Comment

• SpudmanWP
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • Jan 2009

These are not new and we knew last year that it had more than a dozen Cat2 deficiencies going into IOT&E, which are these along with a couple that thy discovered. These are also not new in that thy have known about some of them for years but they were low on the priority list.

Comment

• SolarWarden
                                    Rank 5 Registered User
                                    • May 2015

Originally posted by ActionJackson View Post
                                    I'm gonna go ahead and say this is just Halloween talking out his ..... Again.

His desperation knows no bounds as has been seen. The comment about Alps environment? Really, for an aircraft that is to operate from Alaska and routinely flies at 40k ft?

Not even well thought out bullsht.
                                    Well he has to work much much harder ever since Msphere decided to give up on this F-35 death spiral quest.

The same will happen to him soon.

Comment

• halloweene
                                      Rank 5 Registered User
                                      • Jan 2012

If you think i'm telling BS, make me a pleasure. Do not bother answering. And i never spoke about a spiral of death. Neither about cold.

Comment

• haavarla
                                        Rank 5 Registered User
                                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by SpudmanWP View Post
                                        These are not new and we knew last year that it had more than a dozen Cat2 deficiencies going into IOT&E, which are these along with a couple that thy discovered. These are also not new in that thy have known about some of them for years but they were low on the priority list.
                                        That may be. But i did not know about this and i'm above average in terms of Aviation Interest. Pretty sure a whole lot did not know about all these deficiencies.
                                        So what gives, does this make people stupid or haters?
                                        The F-35 program has no one else but itself to blame from coming under scrutiny.
                                        If you must call different media outlets for F-35 Griefers/dwellers.
                                        Well that is on you guys.
                                        Personally i use DefenseNews a lot when looking for news.
                                        I think they have their nest clean. Good luck trying to discredit them..

As for a few post back, it deserved a Flag/Repport.
                                        Some people does not add credibility to this Thread.
                                        Last edited by haavarla; 14th June 2019, 18:31.
                                        Thanks

Comment

• Shania
                                          Rank 5 Registered User
                                          • Jan 2017

This DN series is actually pretty good and thanks to this we got response from LM with current status.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X