Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Availability, Disponability, Capability : Which Metrics?

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • halloweene
    Rank 5 Registered User

Availability, Disponability, Capability : Which Metrics?

I joust found two interesting articles (in french) about those topics. As they are online, they should be easy to translate, so i post them here.
    It would be interesting to compare and discuss metrics used.

http://www.european-military-aircraf...te-de-flottes/

http://www.european-military-aircraf...e-dune-flotte/
  • djcross
    Rank 5 Registered User

Hardware is a recurring cost which becomes increasingly burdensome as the number of aircraft manufactured increases. Capability means many types of sensors and complex redundant systems. But software is a non-recurring cost developed once and reused thousands of times.

The key to a capable system which has high availability yet low unit cost is very simple yet robust vehicle systems and mission systems with complex software which can provide high-level capabilities despite simple mission systems hardware. Such an airplane would likely have a single sensor and operate in a swarm with airplanes which have other types of sensors and/or weapons. All together the swarm has a complete set of mission systems and weapons.

An issue to operating swarms is the support burden of servicing, re-arming and repairing where the ratio of "attritable/disposable" swarm aircraft to a single highly complex Gen 5 is probably 4 or 5 to 1.

ETA: WOW! it only took 10 seconds for the reply to post. Yesterday, it took 5 minutes to post. Maybe the bugs to the forum software are being fixed.
    Last edited by djcross; 18th September 2018, 12:19.

Comment

• halloweene
      Rank 5 Registered User

djcross these papers are PDFS so easy to translate. I did not use auto translator, due copyright and technical lavel of the papers (need to read them completely), but imho they are utterly interesting to be read before starting a discussion about them. Did you try?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
      X