what ever happened to IAR-95 ME?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

a very interesting indigneous design from IAR of Romania.

The aircraft was being reserached on in the late 80s, design wise the aircraft is a two seater, single tailed, single engined aircraft, resembling very very much like the Chinese Super-7 and F-20. The aircraft has 4 pylons on the wings and wingtip rails.

IAR-95 ME technical data

Length: 16.0M (52 feet 5.75 inches)
Wing Spam: 9.3M (30 ft, 6 inches)
Height: 5.45 m (17 feet 10.5inches)
Wing Area: 27.9 m^2 (300 sq ft)
Empty weight: 7880 kg (17,372 lb)
Max take off weight: 15200 kg (33,510 lb)
Max Weapons Load: 3200 kg (7,055 lb)
Powerplant: one Tumanskii R-29-300 Turbojet rated at 122kN (27,420 lb) with after burner

(interestingly they were going for a Rolls Royce Spey earlier)

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

RE: what ever happened to IAR-95 ME?

IAR-95ME would have been the technological demonstrator (ME means experimental model)for the Romanian supersonic programme. In late '80s the whole programme was cancelled and left behind only few large scale models and a nearly complete set of manufacturing drawings. The prototype would have been built by I Av Bucharest ( today Romaero) near Baneasa airport.
Some sources indicate that a mock-up has been built, but noone has seen it.
There is no connection except the name with the first IAR-95 design with Spey engines.
Between this and the IAR-95ME there were several designs, all named IAR-S

Best Regards,

Danut
Romania

Member for

24 years 2 months

Ah finally the IAR pics of the two seater, pretty nice and simple look.
I must thank Dave, who in turn got it from Romanian Air Force page who got it from you Danut or so I've heard. many thanks.

Member for

24 years 2 months

oops here is the pic
Attachments:
http://www.keypublishing.com/forum/importedfiles/3cac05e8261255c4.jpg

Member for

24 years 2 months

Yes, that pic is taken by myself.It represents not the IAR-95ME. but the last design of IAR-S, which looks very similar to the IAR-95ME.
Here's the picture of the original IAR-95design, with Spey engine
Attachments:
http://www.keypublishing.com/forum/importedfiles/3cac7a49445d14b1.jpg

Member for

24 years 2 months

Interesting design - An Eastern Gripen of sorts?

Member for

24 years 2 months

Looks like an F-16 with a MiG-23's nose and air-intake layout.

It's a shame about Eastern Europe's failure to produce (or even finish designing) a super-sonic fighter. Would have made the aviation world more interesting if nations like the Czech Republic, Romania and Yugoslavia were in the fighter market as producers, don't you think?

Member for

24 years 2 months

I would imagine that in time, Romania will become a fighter producer. Especially as they are gaining a lot of the needed experience with such programmes as the "Lancer" and "Sniper". If the EU turns its attention to industrial nations like Romania and Poland and really helps them, they could become major players. Who knows, in ten or twenty years time NATO pilots could be flying in Romanian or Polish built fighters.
As far as Yugoslavia is concerned, don't rule them out just yet. As with everything "Eastern" European, they will survive the current crisis.