Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years

New Irish Aviation Mag:

http://www.wingsireland.com

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Sorry to mention it here, but I posted a little piece about the Irish Navy in the "Naval thread"

They actually have a very impressive naval arm :) It's on either page 12 or 13 in that thread.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Well done whoever is behind this, it's a tough nut to crack and I wish you well

BUT

a sound smack to whoever left the apostrophe out of IRELAND'S and decided to put one IN to An-124s.

Not a good start - perhaps this is only a dummy cover but it appears to have been produced by one.

YS

Member for

20 years 3 months

That way too harsh Yellow Sun.No need to attack a couple of points of grammar.Us Irish ppl dont speak with best grammar at times.At least someone got up the balls to make a magazine about aviation in their own country and its going to be a toughone to write becuase of the limited scope.Well done to them for taking a chance.

Member for

20 years 6 months

FTD

Shame on you - and SHAME on you for that 'us Irish people line'

So it's OK to be an eejit is it?

If you are producing a professional publication that you expect people to read and respect (and PAY for) then it is not acceptable to commit basic errors of language of the type that 12-year olds couldn't get away with in school.

As I said, I wish the team behind this magazine all the very best and I sincerely hope they can make a go of it where so many others have failed - we you around for 'Irish Aviator' by any chance? We've been here before.

Ireland is an impossible market for a home-grown publisher to make serious money in so yes, the people behind this mag need balls as you put it, but they also need to be taken seriously - and first impressions last.

A magazine like this cannot survive if it only bought by spotters and enthusiasts and even people in the aviation industry - it needs to reach a general audience and that means it must look and sound intelligent.

That cover isn't helping.

And don't you EVER use that 'us Irish people' cr@p again

YS

Member for

20 years 3 months

As someone born, raised and living in Belfast I think i have the right to use the "Us Irish people" line in whatever way I want, including jest, and as with all Irishmen and women I have every right to act like an "eejit" and you don't have a right to go using words like eejit if you aren't Irish.There is absolutely no need to call anyone a dummy for a couple of simple grammatical errors.Simply pointing out that there were two mistakes is enough and not resorting to insulting the authors's (and yes that is the correct way to use the apostrophe there because the apostrophe denotes multiple ownership) work in the magazine.
Also if you are so particular about grammar I suggest fixing your spelling and grammar in the previous post and not attempt writing whilst angry because you don't seem to be able to handle two things at once.
Thank you Taj, I saw it in your IMO post aswell. I will try to find a copy in Belfast on Saturday

Member for

20 years

Thanks FTD!

FTD, PM me-I might be able to save you some looking time.
Dont worry folks, grammatical errors have all been changed prior to printing-it just happens that by not using in house designers we are still awaiting the improved version to upload onto the website. Believe me, outsourcing design work requires one to develop eagle eyes quick smart. Yes Yellow Sun, a good sound smack might rectify the situation!
I wholly agree that first impressions are vital in such a venture and while imperfect, it was necessary to put something visual on the web site, albeit temporarily. I will endeavour to have the probelm rectified in the next 24 hours. Apologies for causing deep offence to some elements!
As regards the economics of the whole thing, well it does require some juggling. The market is not huge so the strategy involves not relying on volume of sales to stay afloat. There are other areas where income can and is being generated.Have no fear folks, we will learn from the mistakes of others and will do our utmost to give Irish Aviation the voice that it sadly lacks at the moment.

Member for

20 years 6 months

FTD

Well, things have moved on and the problem has been solved - which is good, because you were defending the indefensible.

Anyone involved in a professional, commercial publishing venture has to pay attention to these *details* - which are not inconsequential, they will make or break you. If words are your trade then you'd better know how to use them.

For the record, a typo is not the same as a fundamental mis-understanding of the language. The correct use of the possessive apostrophe in AUTHORS (the plural of author) is AUTHORS'.

You only use S'S if it is a singular word ending in S.

So nul point there.

You make a lot of assumptions about who I might be or where I might be from. It doesn't matter if I am Irish or not - your original point of 'bejaysus it doesn't matter' (and I'm *paraphrasing* for you there) was not a particularly good defence of what was clearly an error. As Irish people are renowned as the most skilled users of the English language I expect much, much better from you all.

Taj
If you are onboard with this new magazine, as it seems you are, then good luck and I too will be looking for a copy.

Slan libh

YS

Member for

20 years

Thanks to all who supported us in our first year!

Tadhg

www.wingsireland.com

Member for

20 years 2 months

Well done Taj !
Continued success for the future.

Looking forward to more Irish Air Corps articles !

Member for

20 years 2 months

You have done well for the first year Taj..
I can't wait for the next issue, like Panther I want to see more IAC stuff, for that the IAC may need more stuff themselves :) :cool: