Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

J-10 vs F-2A

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

J-10 vs F-2A

How would the members of the AFM forum compare the J-10 vs F-2A in a possible conflict between Japan and China?
    PLAAF J-10
    45.90%
    JSDF F-2A
    54.10%
  • google
    • Jan 2000

Gah, I hate these polls. Specs haven't even been released on the J-10 yet; isn't this poll pointless? (not to belittle your post or anything)

Comment

Well, much of the information on Fighter Capabilities is classified by their respective goverments. That said, that doesn't mean we shouldn't still debate the pro and/or cons of each design!(within available information) I believe thats the main point of this forum? Your opinion is welcome if you would like to express it?

Comment

• google
        • Jan 2000

I don't think I will express an opinion- simply too many other factors involved at this point. Although in terms of pilot training and a tested airframe, I'd go witht he F-2.

Comment

Your right with the available information its a difficult choice? I voted like you and picked the F-2A with pilot training putting me over the top!

Comment

• GoodPak
            • Jan 2000

In terms of price, I will go with J-10 because F-2's price is TOO HGIH, and you know..., I am broke now.

Comment

I can't believe Japan spent so much money just to remake a F-16!

Comment

• WACHENR0DER
                • Apr 2003

in terms of airplane vs airplane, I will choose the F-2 as it has more innovative avionics compared to the J-10 which, although good, is nothing new when compared to existing avionics that are already found in Russian and other western aircraft..

however if we factor in costs.. at most the J-10 is 30 million.. that means 3-4 J-10s vs 1 F-2.. if that was the case, I would probably prefer the J-10

Comment

• sharmaji
                  • Aug 2003

I've heard that the F-2 is the next best ac after the F-22, with the high price tag, you know that it will have some really really advanced radar, avionics etc

Comment

• xanadu
                    • Jan 2000

I think the Japanese with their expertise in electronics should have some pretty interesting tricks up their sleeves.

Comment

• acfan2003
                      • Oct 2003

The Japs were screwed over by the USA with the f-2 program. The entire program is in fact a laughing stock; I am sure many in the US congress are laughing at the 100+Million dollar per plane the japs are forced to pay. That is twice, triple the cost of an f-16 for what is a slightly improved version of the f-16.

The USA gained much technology from the Japs during the F-X project while Japs still cannot even make a jet engine.

As of today, I'd say the Japs are behind China in many military technologies solely because they lack experience due to their pacifist constitution and from US pressure against pursuing an indigenous military. The H2 rocket boosters record is not very impressive, considering how much money they've spent. It has suffered blow after blow. China's rockets are vastly superior to Japan's for much less money. China can launch a man in space, while Japan cannot. The Chinese have created their own version of the f-16 themselves, having gained many technologies and experience, setting the foundation for more future projects such as the JXX.

I am not impressed at all by the Japanese. They make good consumer crap like CD players, and cars, but they are behind the US, Russians, Europeans, and China in military technologies.
                      Last edited by acfan2003; 11th October 2003, 13:14.

Comment

• plawolf
                        aggresive member
                        • Jan 2000

i agree with google, there are too many unknown or clear elemints surrounding the J10.

but if i had to vote on what i know, as of now, i'd say the F2 is superior to the J10. mainly as a result of avionics.

however, i think the J10 has much more upgrade potential then the F2, and given the rate at which the chinese military industries are progressing and improving, i'd say its very likely that in 10, 15 years time, the J10 will be a much better plane then the F2s of that time.
                        Last edited by plawolf; 11th October 2003, 18:22.
                        the true power of religion does not lie with the deity, it lies with the priests.

Comment

• phrozenflame
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Oct 2003

Why did the Japs agreed to that price first of all?
                          www.JF-17.com

Comment

• Erez
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • May 2003

To save their aviation industry.
                            Much like they are trying to keep their diesel subs just to keep their industry busy for repairing it.
                            "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Euro18
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Mar 2003

Are they different aircrafts? Fighter vs, Striker. F2 is enlarged F16, but too heavy to be a good fighter. Why not compare Su-30MKK against F2, where they are in same catagory.

Comment

• plawolf
                                aggresive member
                                • Jan 2000

Erez:

"To save their aviation industry.
                                Much like they are trying to keep their diesel subs just to keep their industry busy for repairing it."

didnt know japan have an aviation industry to save. and if they just want to keep their workers paid, there are better ways of doing it then dishing out $100m+ per fighter. (just giving the workers $0.5m each and sending them home would make the workers alot happier, and it wouldnt cost half as much).

no, the reason japan is willing to dish out so much is because they know full well what their soilders did in WWII, and how much the rest all of aisa still hates them for it.
                                the true power of religion does not lie with the deity, it lies with the priests.

Comment

• Erez
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • May 2003

plawolf,

Maybe you are right, but what do you think was the interest of Japan to build the F-2 at first place, instead of buying the Agile Falcon for example?
                                  To retain their ability to build fighter aircrafts, and not to be completely depended on the US, as well as supply jobs for thousands of workers.
                                  "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• plawolf
                                    aggresive member
                                    • Jan 2000

Erez:

"Maybe you are right, but what do you think was the interest of Japan to build the F-2 at first place, instead of buying the Agile Falcon for example?
                                    To retain their ability to build fighter aircrafts, and not to be completely depended on the US, as well as supply jobs for thousands of workers."

while im sure trying to reduce total relience on the US was a major factor when japan decided to go with the F2, creating jobs would no doubt also be one. however, these two are by no means the only reasons or even the main ones.

ever since the end of WWII, japan has always has a morbid fear of the rest of asia taking revenge on them, and so has always tried to stay one step ahead of everyone else. however, the unchallenged superiority of the JDF is fast being erroded by just about everyone that doesnt like japan. from china's massive modernisation programs to N.korea's SRBMs to S.korea's F15ks...

while japan's pre-WWII aviation industry was impressive at its time, it post-war aviation industry can hardly be described as an 'industry' with only a record of building average performing F1s and maintaing F4s and F15s. as such, japan cant hope to match the success of the aviation industries of china, taiwan or S.korea by herself, and so has no choice but to turn to the US.

however, at this time, not even the US can provide japan anything with the capabilities the japanese were looking for. the latest F15 and F16s would at best be able to match or slightly outperform their chinese, taiwanese and korean counterparts on a one-on-one basis. but because of the arms limitation treaty japan signed, she can at best hope to match either the AF or S.korea or taiwan man for man, plane for plane, but would be completely overwhelmed by the PLAAF once its current moderinastion program is complete.

this is a situation the japanese cant accept.

while the typhoon and rafale would seem like a better option then the F2, american pressure no doubt saw to the demise of those possibilities. and so the japanese were forced into buying and modefying the F16 and modernising its avionics with american help at $100m+ a piece, aka the F2.

however, whats most sad abt the F2 program is that its probably only a stop gap measure before the americas pressure or scare japan into buying the JSF and F22 at a couple hundred $m each.
                                    Last edited by plawolf; 12th October 2003, 14:40.

Comment

• Haleyoneshoemak
                                      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by google
                                      Gah, I hate these polls. Specs haven't even been released on the J-10 yet; isn't this poll pointless? (not to belittle your post or anything)
                                      I agree that such a poll is pointless and unnecessary.

Instead, what I think should be polled is: "Appeal wise, or configuration/design-wise", how does people feel the J-10 will stack with the F-2A or visa versa.

Definitely more realistic and constructive, my opinion.

Comment

• ELP
                                        ELP
                                        Rank 5 Registered User
                                        • Jan 2000

plane for plane, but would be completely overwhelmed by the PLAAF once its current moderinastion program is complete.
                                        Interesting theory but wrong. Depends on the scenario. If you are thinking of running air control over Japan. Thats going to be a no win fight and pure fantasy for any number of reasons.

1. One Economic ties
                                        2. U.S. back up of Japan
                                        3. The Japanese air defense is very capable of putting the hurt on any intruders.

however, whats most sad abt the F2 program is that its probably only a stop gap measure before the americas pressure or scare japan into buying the JSF and F22 at a couple hundred $m each.
                                        ?????????????????????????????????????????????????
                                        Last edited by ELP; 12th October 2003, 21:26.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                        X