Boeing awarded with MQ-25 contract

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/us-navy-awards-boeing-805-million-mq-25a-stingray-c-451553/

As far as i can tell, this is the first of possibly more contracts. It doesn't include any sort of obligation on behalf of USN to go with going after the four prototypes are constructed.

Anyway, a very nice looking bird.

Original post

Member for

12 years 2 months

Why do i have the feelin that year after year MQ-25 will gain much more capabilities than "simple" refuelling?

Member for

19 years 10 months

There are two KPPs for this aircraft, the first having to do with the way it integrates on the carrier and the second specifying the amount of fuel it needs to offload at a distance. Outside of these KPPs each OEM was free to design to what it felt best and could leave as much growth as it felt best (without being uncompetitive obviously). As the Navy acquisition official explained to a reporter recently, the lead systems integrator on this aircraft is the US Navy which also has ownership of the TB for the mission systems which means that if Boeing, or any other OEM wishes to enter into the Naval UAV space in the future they can bid an air vehicle and utilize the systems developed under this program. Much of this also existed on the X-47 where the Navy retained the rights to much of the landing and refueling capability that was demonstrated by Northrop Grumman.The first flight of the EMD flight vehicle is expected by mid 2020 and they plan on taking it out to the ship a year or so later. Navy wants IOC in 2024.

As far as i can tell, this is the first of possibly more contracts. It doesn't include any sort of obligation on behalf of USN to go with going after the four prototypes are constructed.

The EMD program comes with 4 aircraft for development testing, carrier integration and likely operational evaluations. The Navy between now and before the four are delivered will put together a plan on how to approach the acquisition through LRIP and the Full rate production phases. This is likely outside of the FYDP but we will get a little more clarity in a couple of years. This program is one of the CNOs top three priorities so of course they will buy more beyond the 4 which are just for development and testing.