RIAT v Farnborough Airshow

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

5 years 9 months

Hi all,

Please excuse the absolute idiotic question. What is the difference between RIAT and Farnborough airshow? Which is the better show to attend?

Thanks in advance.

Original post

Member for

15 years 4 months

First lf all..
The heck does RIAT stand for..?
It very much sounds like an acronym.

Member for

12 years

Royal International Air Tattoo, held at RAF Fairford. I prefer RIAT, it's only military rather than the commercial feel of Farnborough.

Member for

5 years 9 months

I wondered if that's all that was different. I went to RIAT a few years ago but never to Farnborough. Thanks for the clarification!

Member for

24 years 3 months

As has already been said, RIAT is a military tattoo, showcasing the worlds airforces.

It lasts for two (or this year) three public days (with arrivals and departures before and after) and has hundreds of aircraft both flying and static.

This year it included military jets from as far away as Australia, Japan, Pakistan and Brazil.

Farnborough is a commercial show that starts on a Monday, lasts a week - with public days only at the last weekend.

There are covered pavillions in which the manufacturers have stands displaying their wares - from the big boys like Airbus, Boeing, Rolls Royce etc, down to the smaller suppliers making widgets etc.

Most of the worlds maunufacturers attend - from USA, China, Russia etc.

The flying isn't as intense as at RIAT - but you will see an A-380 being thrown around like a fighter jet - and a few of the aircraft from RIAT also attend Farborough - where the manufacturers are trying to attract sales.

One downside for the average punter at Farborough is the fact that the stands in the pavillions tend to be emptied at the weekend - the traders have all gone home!! although there are some that stay and deign to talk to you.

Ken

PS RIAT takes place in July and is annual, Farnborough used to be in September and was bi-annual and was totally separate - but a few years ago it was moved to July and follows on from RIAT (every other year)

Member for

5 years 9 months

Great explanation, cheers!

Member for

14 years 3 months

like Le Bourget air show.. 20 years ago, it was public from beginning to the end, and one could see and visit every stand he wanted.. now, only the last weekend is public and the airshow is pretty much empty (less flying than during the week and many empty stands)

Member for

15 years 9 months

Got to say I was very disappointed by the Farnborough air display this year on Sunday - no Gripen, Rafale, Typhoon, F-18, F-35, Sukhoi or MiG. Just an F-16 giving a flying display (twice during the afternoon). The only airliner that gave a flying display was the A350-1000. I think a B787 was promised but that didn't happen although I saw one on final approach half an hour after the show was declared to be closed.

Member for

15 years 4 months

Farn, used to be the best in Europa But For a long time now Bot LE Bourge and sometimes even MAKS is better