Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Switzerland fighter replacement plan restarted

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spitfire9
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by St. John View Post
    Indeed. We can debate whether this will be complete by 2025 or 2035 but it will not be available for demonstration in the bid and will therefore be assessed with the same merit as the Captor-E in the 2008 RFQ, i.e. not.
    Agreed. What post-selection developments are to be undertaken for any of the candidates has little or no bearing to the selection process.
    Sum ergo cogito

Comment

• halloweene
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Jan 2012

No timescale mentioned there, just says that it's very ambitious. For GaN transmitter, demonstrator was 2014 (assuming it was on time), and in-service date is 2023. Full MFA demonstrator is currently non-existent, so based on that I'd say sometime after 2030, which is also the opinion shared a French journalist who wrote an article in Combat Aircraft, July 2015, Page 23. The conformal, multiband, multirole antennae development will begin in 2025 for qualification around 2030+. They will get GaN on the existing system first and then begin work on the rest. From a testing perspective it doesn't even make sense to have the latter interfering with the integration of the former.
      That is probably why there will be *Rafale 4.1 (2023) and 4.2 (2025) (first real fork in Rafale program), with funcions available as soon as 2022. Spectra antennas are already AESA. but in fact, they realized that tile architecture of modules was cheaper and already greatly improved signal treatment (co location).GaN modules were expected on F3R standard but will be available finally on Spectra 04T (on fourth tranche Rafale, F4.1). At least that is what i could deduceafter extensive talks with Thales people (not very talkative).

Comment

• halloweene
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Jan 2012

My favourite bit is the 3 antennae in each of the leading edge slats. We'll just stick 3 antennae in this moving aerodynamic control surface, it'll be right. There'll be no problems due to the movement of the slats with functionality and the extra weight in a moving control surface will have no adverse affects on performance or fatigue and the cabling into the moving slats will work somehow.
        Long wave antennas. do not need to be as precise as Xband.

Comment

• St. John
          Rank 4 Registered User
          • Jan 2018

Originally posted by halloweene View Post

Long wave antennas. do not need to be as precise as Xband.
          Still not exactly a sure-fire working solution without a lot of testing and that doesn't address the loading or cabling issue either. The other problems I see with a 360deg MFA is alerting aircraft on a 360deg sphere as to where you are if used in detection mode.

Comment

• St. John
            Rank 4 Registered User
            • Jan 2018

That is probably why there will be *Rafale 4.1 (2023) and 4.2 (2025) (first real fork in Rafale program), with funcions available as soon as 2022. Spectra antennas are already AESA. but in fact, they realized that tile architecture of modules was cheaper and already greatly improved signal treatment (co location).GaN modules were expected on F3R standard but will be available finally on Spectra 04T (on fourth tranche Rafale, F4.1). At least that is what i could deduceafter extensive talks with Thales people (not very talkative).
            I would have thought they'd be extremely talkative about such progress. Maybe there silence indicates worries. Nevertheless F4.X is irrelevant to this competition.

Comment

• halloweene
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Jan 2012

Yes and no, quotations will be done on existing versions, but you cannot help examiners to think about future.

Comment

• St. John
                Rank 4 Registered User
                • Jan 2018

Yes and no, quotations will be done on existing versions, but you cannot help examiners to think about future.
                Each party will promise the world for the future though. What's now is known.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                X