Vietnam war era fighter: MiG-19 versus F-8U versus F-5E versus F-104

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years 10 months

So which one make the best/worst dogfighter/interceptor? how will you rank them ?and why
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/07/c2/67/07c2672558faea72c289f49d1b3bba05--military-jets-military-aircraft.jpg
http://www.vought.org/photo/html/pimages/4412_06.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/48/Northrop_F-5E_%28Tail_No._11419%29_%28cropped%29.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/de/Lockheed_XF-104_%28modified%29.jpg/1200px-Lockheed_XF-104_%28modified%29.jpg

Original post

Member for

15 years 9 months

I'd say the F-5 from those four.

The MiG-19 is awesome but needs new engines after about 250 to 300 hours.

The F-8 is a great plane but big, smoky and complicated.

The F-104 also is small and fast and has the roll rate of a sidewinder but it does not want a sustained turn of any kind.

The F-5 on the other hand has LERXes, sweet little engines that kept on going, good visibility and is also agile as a cat in a corner. Being small is a quality all of its own. Makes you hard to acquire and track visually. F-5 wins this little contest hands-down.

Member for

8 years 4 months

I have some charts from F-5E manual, could be useful?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]261314[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]261315[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]261316[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

24 years 3 months

I vote for Crusader over F-5E, more range to do air supremacy.

Member for

8 years 4 months

Unfortunately, AFAIK, there is no E-M diagram for F-8U or F-104 but they did a series of test for those aircraft against Mig-21F13 in HAVE DOUGHNUT program, and these comments seem telling
[ATTACH=CONFIG]261317[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]261318[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]261319[/ATTACH]
https://nsarchive2.gwu.edu//NSAEBB/NSAEBB443/docs/area51_50.PDF

Attachments

Member for

15 years 9 months

Excellent post. Have a cookie :D

I still stand by my assessment of the F-5 as the superior of the mentioned planes. While the F-104 might be great at boom & zoom, there are too many situations where that just won't work.

Member for

18 years 3 months

Since you said " Vietnam war era" I wonder have saab draken would have done it if fielded in the year 1960 :-)

Member for

16 years 7 months

For this semi-retired defence analyst, a zipper is the fastening on the front of my trousers or on the 'Farnborough 84' windcheater that I scrounged from Boeing some three decades ago. In a lifetime mostly spent in the aerospace industry or in associated fields, I have never heard these weird nicknames being used by defence professionals, so it is hard to see what purpose they serve on this forum. It would be most useful if posters who wish to indulge in these nicknames would take the time to provide translations for the rest of us.

Member for

15 years 9 months

oh i'm quite sorry sir if my futile attempt at fighter jock cool fell utterly flat for you. I have edited my posts right away.

Member for

16 years 7 months

It was not a case of something falling flat - I simply did not understand what you meant. Thanks for making it clear to this uncool former engineer.

Aviation slang has its pitfalls. Back in the days when the A-10 was entering service, one of the UK's best-known aviation writers heard a USAF pilot describe the aircraft's GAU-8/A cannon as the "Big Mother", and duly added this interesting bit of colour to his copy. If my memory is right, the printing presses were rolling and committing these words to paper before a 'street-smart' sub-editor spotted the phrase...

Member for

8 years

Vietnam is where the Mig made a name for itself.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Which is why I avoid using most of the "cool" pilot slang when discussing aircraft types.

Simply put, unless you've earned the right to use flight line slang (as a crew member or maintainer) especially by saying anything remotely derogatory about a type, it marks the speaker as more of a "wanna be" or fanboy.

In my experience, pilots don't use many of the common nicknames as much as the people who want to look like pilots.

Member for

14 years 3 months

As far as these go, the Mig19 could do with better engines...

F5 is simple, agile, and cheap.. but facing an F-8 or, even more, an F-104 properly flown, it will have difficulties touching any of them. It will be able to turn on a dime, but the other guys, especially the F-104, will simply remain at speed and use their massive power advantage to remain out of range

Member for

24 years 3 months

That is not the task of a fighter. It has to go for the bomb-carriers, which do inflict the harm to the own forces. When the Russians evaluated the F-5, they found out, it has an egde over the MiG-21 where the action is.

Member for

11 years 10 months

Unfortunately, AFAIK, there is no E-M diagram for F-8U or F-104 but they did a series of test for those aircraft against Mig-21F13 in HAVE DOUGHNUT program, and these comments seem telling

So
F-104
_ F-104 is superior to Mig-21 in accelerate until 30K feet
_ Mig-21 turn rate is superior to F-104 at all speed and altitude.
F-8U
_ subsonic acceleration is comparable to Mig-21, with Mig-21 able to gain only 200 feet.
_ supersonic acceleration is noticeably inferior to Mig-21
_ Mig-21 has more instantaneous G available through the speed range (until 400 KIAS)
_ Below 400 KIAS, 16K feet F-8 can sustain 1 G higher, above 450 KIAS, Mig-21 can sustain 0.5 more G
_ Comparable Zoom performer until 36K feet, the maximum separation is 1000 feet, Mig-21 has slight advantage if the zoom doesn't excess 30k feet
F-5N
_F-5E has superior MIL/AB acceleration until 15K feet.
_ Mig-21 has superior unloaded acceleration until F-5 top speed
_Mig-21 can zoom slightly better.
_Mig-21 has slightly better Instataneous G below Mach 0.9
_F-5 has slightly better sustained G

On topic of Mig-21 and F-5, I found this
http://www.checksix-fr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Compared-Air-Combat-Performances-Mig-21-vs-F-5E.pdf

As far as these go, the Mig19 could do with better engines...

F5 is simple, agile, and cheap.. but facing an F-8 or, even more, an F-104 properly flown, it will have difficulties touching any of them. It will be able to turn on a dime, but the other guys, especially the F-104, will simply remain at speed and use their massive power advantage to remain out of range

If i understandit correctly, F-5E can accelerate better

Member for

8 years 4 months

BTW, HAVE FERRY/HAVE DRILL used F-5A to test instead of F-5E, F-5E has better instantaneous turn rate but worse sustain turn rate
[ATTACH=CONFIG]261358[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]261359[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

19 years 8 months

I once read an account by an F-8 pilot who had experience fighting against F-104s. He wrote that the F-104 had a one trick zoom advantage over his F-8, but he definitely preferred his F-8.

Member for

8 years 4 months

This come as such a surprise for me, I didn't expect Mirage iii to be such a dog
http://www.f-16.net/forum/download/file.php?id=27785&mode=view

Member for

12 years 4 months

Low power and drag of a delta wing in sustained turn.
Now you see how the Harrier made it in the Malvinas/Falklands ;)

Member for

14 years 3 months

in the Falklands the Harriers success was due to a combination of factors. As long as Argentinian pilots flew the Mirage fast and high, they weren't bothered, but the Harrier pilots had no business going up to mix it with them there.. When the Mirages got lower to play on Harrier's terms, it was their doom.. combined with the latest AIM-9 missile the Harrier had, which allowed them better engagement envelope.. Not to speak of the fact that the Mirages were at the extreme limit of their range, having little fuel left little fuel to play with...

In the end, it is always the same thing, if you don't fly your aircraft to its strong points, you get in trouble