IRIAF F-14 flown by soviet pilots

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 5 months

Hello together,

I found this info in Pierre Razoux book The Iran-Iraq War, any of you have additional info on this ?

Cheers

Original post

Member for

18 years 2 months

There has never been any evidence that the Soviet Union received any Tomcats from Iran - none, whatsoever.

Member for

11 years 11 months

I'm sure Iran gave the Soviets a nice look, but they didn't let them keep one. The GRU and the KGB had the goods on the F-14 before the Shah was deposed.

Member for

14 years 1 month

Why would they need to receive them? Much easier to send few pilots over for evaluation..

Member for

18 years 7 months

I'm sure Iran gave the Soviets a nice look, but they didn't let them keep one. The GRU and the KGB had the goods on the F-14 before the Shah was deposed.

Doubt it. The Iranians were highly distrustful of the Soviets for historical reasons and the fact that they heavily supported Iraq in its war against Iran... Russia-Iran relations really warmed up only after the war ended and the fall of the USSR.

Member for

8 years

The post asks if Soviet pilots flew the F-14.

It doesn't ask if the Soviets acquired an F-14

Member for

11 years 11 months

Change in leadership. Money talks. I still think the Soviets had a lot more on the F-14 than the West realized. The Soviets were/are great at spying. Within a couple of years of the revolution, the MiG-31 was VVS entering service. No way the Russians turned that kind of technology around in two years. The tech the Russians acquired from the West and inspired by the F-14 went into the MiG-31. Along with some powerful engines.

Member for

8 years 7 months

O-o

Don't see anything on F-14 made it to MiG-31's. Zaslon has nothing in common to AWG-9 and so is R-33's.

Member for

8 years 6 months

any more details?
flown as in what way?

I doubt any Soviets flew the Iranian F-14s during the war
I doubt Iran gave any F-14s to the Soviets

It is possible they may have allowed Soviets to look at the plane.. in Iran.

Member for

8 years

according to a 1997 issue of JDW,article about iranian aerospace,the iranian plan to reengine some of F-14 and F-4 with russian angine and avionic system,particulalry the radar.and russia admitted they managed to obtain 2 F-14

Member for

14 years 1 month

Change in leadership. Money talks. I still think the Soviets had a lot more on the F-14 than the West realized. The Soviets were/are great at spying. Within a couple of years of the revolution, the MiG-31 was VVS entering service. No way the Russians turned that kind of technology around in two years. The tech the Russians acquired from the West and inspired by the F-14 went into the MiG-31. Along with some powerful engines.
What has the MiG-31 had in common with F-14A is beyond me.. :confused: Tech-wise they are not even similar..

Member for

18 years 7 months

Iraqi MiG-23s shot down by mistake the IRIAF F-14 that was trying to defect. As a result USSR never had an access to intact F-14.

Member for

12 years 2 months

Powerful engines...from F-14?

Member for

11 years 8 months

From the armed forces of the soviet Union a book about the F-14, by the Ministry of defence and air forces of the Soviet Union

source http://www.strizhi.ru/cgi-bin/yabb/Y...1188479278/0#0

I have a whole set of these, including Mirage 2000 and F-15C. They include detailed kinematic graphs, pre-flight and cockpit procedures, weapons and radar data and so on and so forth. Most of it is from open source data that was available at the time, though some of it might've been gathered through more covert types of intelligence. What I can say for certain is that the USSR never got their hands on an F-15C at any rate. I reckon the same applies to the cat.

Member for

11 years 11 months

No. The MiG-31's engines. The F-14's powerplants, from the outset, were a problem until much later on.

Member for

11 years 11 months

Pretty simple. Big aircraft w/a big radar, aircrew of two, guiding for long-range AAMs. The Soviets even mounted them in the same place. R-33/AIM-54, same size, same weight, same purpose. All coincidental?

Member for

16 years 1 month

I do not want to click on the link, anyone care to share quick summary of what is stated in the link provided by KGB or in the Razoux book? I seem to recall some of Razouk's facts in other books/articles about the Iran and Iraq conflict have some flaws, or unsubstantiated claims.

Member for

8 years

The F-15 is a copy of the Mig 31. The Mig 31 isn't a copy of the F-14

The only copy talk that's ever gone on with the F-14 is that the Russians made the intakes on the su 27 similar to the F-14

Member for

14 years 1 month

Frankly, this is the first time I hear about the MiG-31 resembling a Tomcat.. :confused: But be my guest..

Member for

17 years 5 months

@ lonewolf

you should read Razoux`s book, it`s an eye opener, you would be amazed at how pragmatic nations are when it comes to their interests.

your take on the subject- "the Iranians were highly distrustful of the Soviets for historical reasons and the fact that they heavily supported Iraq in its war against Iran" etc etc - it`s beyond simplistic and has nothing to do with reality

Also, to be more precise, Razoux wrote that the Iranians allowed the Soviets to inspect/fly the plane