Anglo-French UCAV (FCAS)

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 2 months

I post this image here as the start to the new thread:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]256913[/ATTACH]

Which is from BAE as of last year.

Which is not this, but nearly the same....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]256914[/ATTACH]

Attachments
Original post

Member for

14 years 2 months

Here is another image:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]256915[/ATTACH]

Similar but not the same. This could be the shared platform but with differing intake being the most obvious national change.

Any other differences?

It could be the shape\perspective but the BAE platform looks longer and sharper?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]256916[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

13 years 2 months

Looks like cranked kite is going to be another common flying wing UCAV/UAV configuration.

I wonder how many articles will point out how it looks "suspiciously similar" to X-47B... :/

Member for

11 years 1 month

I wonder why the US didn't continue development of X47?

It's almost like there was an agreement to hold off and give the European a chance in ucavs.

Member for

24 years 2 months

X-47 didn't continue because it was a one trick pony.

Member for

14 years 2 months

Well, it is suggested that the French are thinking of carrier compatibility and we know BAE looked at that configuration for FOAS, long before any of the X47b flew.

Member for

14 years 2 months

I do think the BAE model is longer in the nose, and the intake makes the fuselage a different shape, but as I said I'm happy for be corrected.

Member for

12 years 1 month

Looks so, slghtly but i wouldn't bet my head on that.

Member for

14 years 2 months

Well it's just a model, but a new one to BAE model aficionados and the fuselage joins the wing inboard of the French wing/fuselage join regardless of which angle you view it from.

There is often lots of chatter about aerodynamics on fighter posts, but less so here. When the first BAE design came out years ago at the signing of the agreement, we concluded there wasn't anything to read into. Now we are close to a tangible design and this one matches the reports we have from both sides, hypothetically what might the difference tell us about the performance requirements?

Member for

14 years 2 months

Hmm, still on my hypothetical one man comparison between BAE designs and Dassault designs, look at this FOAS model and compare it to the BAE model I discovered:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]257076[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]257077[/ATTACH]

Replace the cockpit with the Taranis style intake and there you go. Same leading edge sweep and wing join relative to fuselage.

Perhaps the French design has a broader fuselage more akin to the X47b because of carrier compatibility?

Attachments

Member for

12 years 3 months

I remember the FOAS being designed to somewhat sneak at low alt behind enemy lines. Hence the difference appears to be logical (inlets on the underside, twin engined and manned) : more an evolution behind what can appears a change in mission pattern than some kind of copies or replicants, Rick.

;)

Member for

14 years 2 months

Yes, if this is representative of the BAE FCAS, then it would be logical that they could draw on previous work to get things done.

I just noticed the forward fuselage matches very closely that of the FOAS model (which is the only one that went as far as being produced for executive desks) and when you see the two BAE designs together, it is easier to see the difference between them and the French FCAS design.

Blade Runner would be a cool name for the final product though.

Member for

12 years 3 months

:D

Member for

14 years 2 months

A rather wordy article that seems to suggest the French view FCAS as a way to remain connected to the "Combat Cloud" system of systems that their partners and allies are training for.

Does seem to suggest Rafale will be flying for another 20 years at least and I therefor suggest that the RAF will be replacing their Typhoons with something built outside of Europe:

https://overthehorizonmdos.com/2018/02/05/the-future-of-the-french-air-force-a-future-combat-air-system-as-a-strategy-to-counter-access-denial/

Member for

12 years 3 months

Nice read but this

, or of equipping each foreign combat system with its own converter to allow it to connect to the Combat Cloud,” Lt. Gen. Taprest reports.

looks Weird..

Member for

12 years 1 month

Not so weird, sincerely. Some F-35 UK techs are forbidden for FCAS (contractually) and Fr will always want to keep a private network.

Member for

14 years 2 months

More on the flexible weapons bay, giving some idea of the scope of roles being considered by BAE et al.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]258838[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

12 years 1 month

Definitely agree mrmalaya.
Prezsently very hot parts are tested at DGA propulseurs ... And they are not designed specifically for M88, but more for the FCAS engine. Heat resistance is useful in this case for longer MTBI aka as few as ossible "opening the can" to reach the engine.

Member for

14 years 2 months

As we wait for something more concrete (and you have to wonder if Brexit is having an effect on an actual commitment), there has been a stream of information coming out of the UK partners which supports the idea that the programme is very much alive and very much the future of BAE/RR/MBDA etc.

I emphasise the UK side, because the French are never shy about talking up what their FCAS thinking.

So we have more sophisticated energy generation and management, repeated mention of directed energy, and a weapons bay which will allow the aircraft to do a range of jobs as well as drop bombs.

All of which applies to a future manned jet as much as a UCAV.