Harrier GR11

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 1 month

I know this is a massive 'what if' but if British Aerospace had won the contract for the JSF with the Harrier GR11 what would the aircraft look like?
The GR7/9 have many general design similarities with the GR1/3 but are clearly much more advanced designs, how would 21st century engineering, aerodynamics and avionics have been incorporated in to the Harrier GR11?

Original post

Member for

12 years 3 months

!!! Exclusive picture: Ram applied harrier GR11 !!!:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]252269[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

18 years 5 months

There are plenty of things you can do better with todays technology. IMO updateing the Harrier would be a waste of resources. I mean that same money would be better spent on a proper new aircraft instead.

I think that the updated Harrier would look close to the Superharrier:
From aerospaceweb.org
[ATTACH=CONFIG]252275[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

16 years 7 months

I know this is a massive 'what if' but if British Aerospace had won the contract for the JSF with the Harrier GR11 what would the aircraft look like?

By "contract for the JSF" you mean British Aerospace being the prime contractor and winning the Pentagon competition for the USAF/US Navy/Marine Corps replacement for 7/10 of the entire american tatical fast jet fleet?
Thats not a massive "what if", thats pretty much impossible.

The GR7/9 have many general design similarities with the GR1/3 but are clearly much more advanced designs, how would 21st century engineering, aerodynamics and avionics have been incorporated in to the Harrier GR11?

You could throw every " 21st century engineering, aerodynamics and avionics " into the Harrier airframe that it still wouldnt be capable of cover one single KPP for the JSF program except "getting airborne". :D

If your question is "what would a new ASTVOL BAE design after the Harrier look like", well, like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]252316[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]252317[/ATTACH]
Cheers

Attachments