Mig-29s for Argentine Air Force?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

8 years 4 months

http://defence-blog.com/news/argentina-looks-to-buy-russian-mig-29-fighter-jets.html

Original post

Member for

11 years

poor choice

Flankers would be better for them

http://www.clavework-graphics.co.uk/aircraft/fantasy_5/F495_Su27_Argentina.jpg

Member for

12 years 7 months

The replacement of the Mirage has been put on hold due to the economic situation in Argentina.

Member for

14 years 1 month

With current RUB-USD exchange rate there probably isn't a cheaper new-built fighter on the market than the MiG-29 (with the exception of FC-1).

Member for

14 years 3 months

while it is obviously a step up from a 60 years old design, it looks terribly short-legged for the nation of that size, as Y-20 Bacon said, a better choice would be a fighter from Su-27 series

Member for

16 years 8 months

With the budget of the Fuerza Aerea Argentina, the range of something like a Flanker would be roughly equivalent to the size of the Hangar in wich it would stay...

Member for

15 years 5 months

lol.
their AF is in a tight financial spot, how about F-5 ?
that is one cheap mofo to operate, or perhaps F-50

Member for

16 years 8 months

lol.
their AF is in a tight financial spot, how about F-5 ?
that is one cheap mofo to operate, or perhaps F-50

If they want western equipment, then second hand Vipers or the F/A-50 (or the israeli Kfirs, but that is called "desperation"), if the Argies dont have their mind set on a western system, the JF-17 might be a good alternative. The rest, well, forget it.

Member for

18 years 4 months

Deja-Vu, an article on a defence Blog that refers to a Russian news aggregation website with zero corroboration from official sources in Argentina....this is the Su-24 nonsense all over again but with the Mig-29. No doubt the British tabloid press will bite and we will be subjected to multiple nonsense articles about the new threat to the Falklands.

Argentina is retiring their Skyhawk next year and it is increasingly looking without replacement. The IA-63 Pampa and the new T-6 Texan II if delivered will allow Argentina to keep a foot in the door for restoring that capability in the future but until I see a picture of an official signing of a Letter of Intent by Argentine officials for any kind of fast jet I won't even humour another silly rumour.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Deja-Vu, an article on a defence Blog that refers to a Russian news aggregation website with zero corroboration from official sources in Argentina....this is the Su-24 nonsense all over again but with the Mig-29. No doubt the British tabloid press will bite and we will be subjected to multiple nonsense articles about the new threat to the Falklands.

Argentina is retiring their Skyhawk next year and it is increasingly looking without replacement. The IA-63 Pampa and the new T-6 Texan II if delivered will allow Argentina to keep a foot in the door for restoring that capability in the future but until I see a picture of an official signing of a Letter of Intent by Argentine officials for any kind of fast jet I won't even humour another silly rumour.

Well Fed, for one, I absolutely believe that the new MiG fighter force of the Argies would definitely represent an imminent and mortal threat to the Falkland Islands. ?

Most especially if that 'mortal threat' pursuades the somewhat easily led U.K. electorate to push for greater defence spending!. If I was MoD I'd be trying to find a way of discretely funding a MiG sales tour to Argentina. We need some photos of MiGs at Tierra del Fuego appearing in the Daily Mail and Sun to get the torches and pitchforks really stirred up

Member for

15 years 4 months

Well Fed, for one, I absolutely believe that the new MiG fighter force of the Argies would definitely represent an imminent and mortal threat to the Falkland Islands. ��

Most especially if that 'mortal threat' pursuades the somewhat easily led U.K. electorate to push for greater defence spending!. If I was MoD I'd be trying to find a way of discretely funding a MiG sales tour to Argentina. We need some photos of MiGs at Tierra del Fuego appearing in the Daily Mail and Sun to get the torches and pitchforks really stirred up

Point taken.
Argentina, will still have to rely on light CAS, Transport/cargo, and Helios capabilities for this decade. Might see some fast jets.. in the next decade.

These wish lists, keep resurface every year it seems.

Member for

13 years 6 months

Unfortunately, this time, there was substance to that deliriuos and stupid idea, by the highest voices in the MINDEF. The said: "We needed to look at options, so we looked everywere, and for this year 2017, the needed fighter selection has been put on hold. We have adquired (actual verb usage, as in a certainty) 12x Texans IIs, 4x C-295, and a C-130. A4-AR will be phased out by 2022."

In my forum we became extremely angry at the stupidity of even considering the MiGs as a valid system, and spending money on sending personel to evalute whatever.

By the Way, since this is month 2 of the year 1 under the Macri adnministration budget, the Armed Forces have increased their share of GDP% spending from 0,40% to 0,95%. By 2019 the proyection calls for 2,20% GDP, which is quite substancial. In U$D FY17 we are looking at U$D 6,080,000,000 for this year, when 2016 under the f.....g kirchners cleptocracy it was U$D 2,430,000,000. The proyection is for FY17 U$D 14,000,000,000 in 2019.

Make no mistake, we need basically everything. Good thing we already paid Beretta for the 100,000 ARX-200 and 120,000 M-9s, and the factory to make them.

Cheers.

EDIT: By the way, Macri has a FA-50 model in his presidential office.
EDIT2: I understand it was a very nice phone call with Pence and later with Trump. Macri and DJMT have been doing deals since the 80's.
EDIT3: Get it off your heads. Soviet (russian) or chinese equipment is utter fantasy down here. Will never happen.
EDIT4: We don't have oficial papers on the T6-C+ Texans IIs, other than the program runs for U$D 300,000,000 and estipulates 24 airplanes initialy.

Member for

13 years 5 months

If Argentina won't consider Chinese aircraft because "we are a western nation, lol" then that simply demonstrates that Argentina doesn't need any combat aircraft.

Member for

12 years 2 months

If Argentina won't consider Chinese aircraft because "we are a western nation, lol" then that simply demonstrates that Argentina doesn't need any combat aircraft.

JF-17 was considered but they wanted Israeli weapons & avionics, and it would have got quite expensive.
AIUI, one big hurdle is that they want a partner to promote Pampas abroad. That is one thing which held back Kfir deal. But cold hard truth is that advanced jet trainer market is very cluttered already...

Member for

13 years 6 months

You are the best Rii. Can I be like you when I grow up? Please?

Get serious.

Member for

13 years 5 months

Get serious.

I am serious, and I would say the same of Australia's RAAF if we were ever in that position: say, if all of Europe has collapsed into an industrial black hole and the USA no longer produces anything under 25-tons/$200m (circumstances that are unlikely, but not inconceivable). If you won't consider a platform that is clearly "best fit" in terms of capabilities/cost simply because it doesn't fit with your cultural conceptions, then it's clear the need isn't that urgent in the first place.

Member for

12 years 4 months

Why not the Teja?

- It has the Israel avionics and a fine overall good set of performances.
- One inherent benefits of the lengthy design schedule is that upgrades will remain available with retrofit on airframe during a considerable period of time easing decision process (see the 2052 radar that would have to fit on the 2032 back-end).
- The Ar industry would have also a competitive stature to negotiate offsets and future prog involvement.
- It has a reliable engine that proved itself extensively over sea
- it comes cheap and packed with a lot of stuffs.

Member for

13 years 5 months

It's also unproven and unavailable. Five years from now, might be a different story.

Member for

12 years 8 months

There are important influences on Chinese aircraft from Russia and Israel (A country with practically 100% political and scientific class from Russia empire area). I don't see how they become Chinese .

Member for

12 years 4 months

I have in mind that the IAF won't bother letting a dozen of MkI out of their hands if that open a Foreign order.

Member for

13 years 6 months

I have in mind that the IAF won't bother letting a dozen of MkI out of their hands if that open a Foreign order.

India is already moving on to the Mk1A as I understand it, which is hardly a vote of confidence for the Mk1's export future.