Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indian Air Force Thread 21

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (1 members and 3 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlackArcher
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Dec 2010

Extremely tragic.

Both were young test pilots deputed to the Aircraft Systems Testing Establishment.

More details here

The incident happened soon after the pilots took off. It seems to be an aborted take-off. The pilots seem to have ejected on take-off roll, giving them very limited time to react.
    Zero-zero ejection seats should have saved their lives. Accident investigation report will eventually shed light into what went wrong.

Comment

• RadDisconnect
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by haavarla View Post
      As Russia are looking into replacing all older AL-31F with AL-41FS1, better known as Idz117, on its Flanker, and Hellducks, well on a long time perspective.
      its pretty clear that this could be part of the Indian MKI's.
      But you know, its Pay up or shut up. It will cost bucks for IAF.

https://sputniknews.com/military/201...e-ext-su30mki/

Its not much to go on with AESA or otherwise.
      As i can see it, there are no Super MKI in the near future.
      Izd.117 is the AL-41F1, NOT the AL-41F1S, that's the Izd.117S. Also, 117S is bigger diameter and need bigger intakes, so it's not so simple as drop in and replace.

For how much you like Russian aircraft you're getting the simplest detail wrong.

Comment

• haavarla
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by RadDisconnect View Post

Izd.117 is the AL-41F1, NOT the AL-41F1S, that's the Izd.117S. Also, 117S is bigger diameter and need bigger intakes, so it's not so simple as drop in and replace.

For how much you like Russian aircraft you're getting the simplest detail wrong.
        If Sukhoi has a plan how to retrofit the AL-41F1S onto older airframes, then rest assure they have already found a way.
        Just as a way, they have overhauled some very few Su-27SM over to the Su-35S standard for Trials.
        Last edited by haavarla; 3rd February 2019, 11:22.
        Thanks

Comment

• Deino
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Jan 2000

Originally posted by BlackArcher View Post
          Zero-zero ejection seats should have saved their lives. Accident investigation report will eventually shed light into what went wrong.

I thought the Mirage 2000 uses Zero-Zero-Seats?

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
          My working week and my Sunday rest,
          My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
          I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one:
          Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
          Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods:
          For nothing now can ever come to any good.
          -------------------------------------------------
          W.H.Auden (1945)

Comment

• OPIT
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Aug 2005

They do. But ejecting too close to the crash zone can't make it.

Comment

• Deino
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Jan 2000

Originally posted by OPIT View Post
              They do. But ejecting too close to the crash zone can't make it.
              But that's then irrelevant to the claim above "Zero-zero ejection seats should have saved their lives"

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
              My working week and my Sunday rest,
              My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
              I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one:
              Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
              Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods:
              For nothing now can ever come to any good.
              -------------------------------------------------
              W.H.Auden (1945)

Comment

• BlackArcher
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Deino View Post

But that's then irrelevant to the claim above "Zero-zero ejection seats should have saved their lives"
                It's not irrelevant to the claim..zero-zero ejection seats would have meant that they were within the safe envelope of ejection seat operation, when they ejected..however, it seems that they both unfortunately landed in the crash zone after the ejection.

Comment

• BlackArcher
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Dec 2010

First Chinook helicopter handed over to India

New ELHI: India has officially been handed over first of the Chinook helicopters at Boeing's facility in the presence of Indian ambassador to US Harsh Shringla. The India-Chinook Transfer Ceremony took place at Boeing's facility in Philadelphia.

DGAO, Air Marshal A Dev, from Air HQ (Vayu Bhawan), Consul General of India in New York Sandeep Chakravorty and Air Attache Air Cmde Shivanand were also present during the occasion.

According to the Indian mission in US, during his address, Ambassador Shringla lauded the "growing industry partnerships between India and US & commended Boeing for their commitment for the commitment to make in India."

In 2015, India had placed the order for 22 AH-64E Apache attack, and 15 CH-47F(I) Chinook transport helicopters and will receive all of them this year.

The AH-64E Apache attack and CH-47F(I) Chinook transport helicopters are the newest models of the aircraft. This is expected to help modernize the Indian Air Forces helicopter fleet.

According to Boeing, Apache is the worlds leading multi-role attack helicopter and CH-47F Chinook is an advanced multi-mission helicopter that can help in delivering heavy payloads at high altitudes. Both of them are also being used by the US army.

CH-47F Chinook is also being used by 18 other defence forces around the world. Large sections of the Chinook fuselage are being manufactured in India.

Boeing is also training Indian Air Force (IAF) crew for the helicopter. In October of 2018, 4 pilots and 4 flight engineers of IAF were trained for operating Chinook helicopters in Delaware USA.

India is the 14th nation to use Apache and 19th nation to use Chinook in its forces.

Comment

• BlackArcher
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Dec 2010

Suryakiran team Twitter link

Comment

• Arihant
                      Rank 4 Registered User
                      • Apr 2017

https://www.livefistdefence.com/2019...sfdr-test.html

If the Indian Air Forces unusual satisfaction and eagerness with the indigenously developed Astra air-to-air missile is any indicator, then a technology test conducted on Indias east coast last week should clear the decks for some serious joy ahead.

Last Friday the Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) tested a complete solid fuel ducted ramjet (SFDR) propulsion system from a ground based launcher, blasting a missile system to a high altitude and achieving speeds in excess of Mach 3. Unlike the Astra, which rides on a smokeless solid fuel rocket motor, SFDR technology a $70 million joint effort since 2013 by India and Russia takes every performance aspect of the Astra to the next level, crucially range, sustained speed and kinetic energy during the difficult endgame phase when such missiles close in on normally manoeuvering targets.

The Friday test was a big step up from the debut SFDR test conducted last May when the weapon fired sported only a nozzle-less booster and not the actual ducted ramjet system (with a boron-based sustainer) that powers in later to send the missile screaming across long ranges with minimal dissipation of energy. The big plan is for the SFDR-powered missile to closely mirror the worlds currently most advanced air-to-air missile, the MBDA Meteor, a system that the Indian Air Force will operate on its Rafale fighters arriving this year, and has been hoping to deploy on other platforms too but has hit an integration roadblock.

With the Astra in a final stage of acceptance trials with the Indian Air Force before entry into service (later this year is the hope), with the SFDR technology, the DRDO will be looking to replicate a template of close ground-up coordination with the IAF, concurrent engineering and a plan that allows pilots to discover the capabilities of the missile as its being developed, instead of simply being saddled with a developed system at the end, with a hope and prayer that they like what theyve got.

The SFDR technology will be a legacy leap in our air combat weaponry, said an Indian Air Force officer embedded with the SFDR development team, speaking to Livefist on condition of anonymity. The Astra itself is turning out to be a very capable weapon system, even beyond some of our expectations. With SFDR, as they say, the sky is the limit. We are waiting to see what else this technology can demonstrate, especially from air launches and sustained velocity tests, which we will be gearing up for later this year.

Last year, the Astra missile system also transitioned from a Russian-built seeker to an Indian Ku-band seeker an enormous leap, considering Indias traditional dependence on Russia for these critical computers that actually guide missiles to their targets. This development will carry forward and be fine-tuned on the SFDR-based weapon, a crucial requirement for the higher performance weapon.

A senior DRDO scientist with the missiles and munitions cluster told Livefist, This is a strategically very critical program with our Russian partners. The first application will be a new air-to-air missile and all current work will be dedicated towards achieving that. The IAF has been a very good partner for us on the Astra, and we are looking forward to carrying that ahead with this new technology.

In 2016, during ground tests, the DRDO had revealed that the SFDR-powered weapon would sport a range of 120 km at speeds of 2.3-2.5 Mach, though these specifications are understood to have been revised upward now. The DRDO and Russia have worked together on the development and testing of the nozzle-less booster, boron-based ramjet sustainer and fuel flow controller, in addition to the design of the the dual air intakes. The $70 million program aims to achieve demonstrable finality by summer 2020, by which time the Indian Air Force as with the Astra will guide an acceptance phase. Engineering design and wind tunnel testing on the new missile is still under way and is likely to see changes as the SFDR system progresses through testing.

With SFDR tech now up and rolling, the Indian Air Force will basically get to craft its air-to-air missile payloads around three systems in the medium term: the MBDA ASRAAM for close combat heat-seeking duties, the Astra for beyond visual range and the Meteor+SFDR at the higher end. Theoretically, the SFDR weapon will be deployable across the IAFs fleet, from the LCA Tejas to MiG-29s and Su-30s. But whether the missile will be a fit on the Rafale remains to be seen. Either way, the success of the program could potentially satiate the Indian Air Forces need for a higher performance beyond visual range missile with fleet-wide integration.

Senior defence journalist Vishnu Som said on Twitter, What this means is that India is on the verge of mastering game-changing missile technology which will enable a jet fighter like the Tejas to launch an air to air missile that will travel at between Mach 3 and Mach 7 towards a Chinese fighter likely upwards of 300 km away.

Defence analyst and writer Mihir Shah says, This is great news. It may still take a decade for a missile based on this tech to become operational, but it will provide a significant boost to our air power. SFDR + Astra + ASRAAM should make for a ooformidable combination.

Looks like Indian Airforce is super excited about this project. Who wouldn't be?

It remains to be seen whether the lraam which will employ this SFDR tech will be jointly developed with Russia or be indigenously developed by DRDO.

IAF is also very upbeat about the Astra. Astra mk2 is in the works which will be having a dual pulse motor for longer range and better end game maneuverability.

Also it is to be noted that Astra and Asraam aren't going to completely replace the RVV-AE and R-73M in Indian airforce service. What IAF wants is to diversify its aam stocks and have more options on the table.

Astra as an aam has similar performance to the vanilla R-77 albeit with better ECCM and seeker acquisition range. (2010 ish tech vs late 90s tech)

Comment

• BlackArcher
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Dec 2010

Yes, indeed, this SFDR missile is the technology demonstrator that will lead to the next gen indigenous air to air missile. And being similar to the Meteor, and with close access to the Meteor's specs (since the IAF is buying them with the Rafale deal), the IAF will likely try to benchmark the SFDR based missile to meet the Meteor's envelope, performance and the NEZ.

But the biggest pro will be to allow the IAF to provide fleet-wide access to this missile, so that all IAF types in the later half of 2020s will be equipped with a BVRAAM that has 120+ km range with Meteor like performance, at an affordable cost.

As for the Astra Mk2 with dual-pulse motor, any links on that?

Comment

• halloweene
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by BlackArcher View Post
                          Yes, indeed, this SFDR missile is the technology demonstrator that will lead to the next gen indigenous air to air missile. And being similar to the Meteor, and with close access to the Meteor's specs (since the IAF is buying them with the Rafale deal), the IAF will likely try to benchmark the SFDR based missile to meet the Meteor's envelope, performance and the NEZ.

But the biggest pro will be to allow the IAF to provide fleet-wide access to this missile, so that all IAF types in the later half of 2020s will be equipped with a BVRAAM that has 120+ km range with Meteor like performance, at an affordable cost.

As for the Astra Mk2 with dual-pulse motor, any links on that?
                          Not to mention MBDA will to cooperate on the project.

Comment

• BlackArcher
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by halloweene View Post

Not to mention MBDA will to cooperate on the project.
                            MBDA to cooperate on the SFDR air to air missile project? In what way?

Comment

• halloweene
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Jan 2012

Needto talk to their PR executive (jean dupont) first.

Comment

• Mags76
                                Rank 1 Registered User
                                • Jan 2019

IAF MiG-27 jet crashes around 18.10 near Pokhran. Pilot ejects safely. Had taken off from Jaisalmer.

https://twitter.com/livefist/status/1095318415726833664

Comment

• Arihant
                                  Rank 4 Registered User
                                  • Apr 2017

The PDV missile has been successfully tested for the fourth time yesterday against an electronic target.
                                  The test was successful.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/stat...d-1938253.html

​​​​​​

BHUBANESWAR: The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) flight tested a high speed interceptor missile from a defence facility off Odisha coast on Tuesday.
                                  ​​​​​​​
                                  Defence sources said the indigenously developed missile capable of destroying enemy weapons at high altitude was fired against an electronic target in salvo mode from the Abdul Kalam Island at about 11.10 am.

In an automated operation, the Prithvi Defence Vehicle (PDV) interceptor missile, which was kept fully ready, took-off once the computer system gave the necessary command for lift-off.

The interceptor guided by high accuracy inertial navigation system and supported by a redundant micro navigation system moved towards the estimated point of the interception. The heat shield ejected after the missile crossed atmosphere and with the help of infrared seeker, the system moved for interception.

The missile had a smooth take off from the launching complex-IV of the test facility. After a good cross over, it went off. Since an electronic target was used for the test instead of an actual target, the crossover validated the trial, said a defence official.

The DRDO has developed both high and low altitude anti-ballistic missiles in a bid to provide two-layered aerial protection to major cities and vital installations. While the PDV interceptor missile can destroy incoming enemy weapon systems in exo-atmospheric region, the Advanced Defence interceptor missile has the capability to kill incoming missiles in endo-atmospheric region.

The test assumes significance as India plans to deploy a two-tiered Ballistic Missile Defence (BMD) system once the interceptors are inducted in the armed forces.

India is the fourth nation to have developed a robust BMD system after the US, Israel and Russia. It was fourth test of the two-staged solid fuelled PDV which can destroy incoming missiles of 5,000 km range.
                                  While the interceptor missile was first tested on April 27 2014, the second trial was conducted on February 11, 2017. On September 23, the third test was conducted during night.

Comment

• Arihant
                                    Rank 4 Registered User
                                    • Apr 2017

DAC has cleared the procurement of 54 IAI Harop drones from Israel

https://m.economictimes.com/news/def...w/67971351.cms

At present we have around 110 Harop systems in our inventory. The Harop is known as the P-IV in IAF service.

Talks are also going on on Project Cheetah which envisions arming existing Herons and Searcher and also enhancement of their ISTAR capability.

Comment

• BlackArcher
                                      Rank 5 Registered User
                                      • Dec 2010

IAF likely to proceed with the purchase of second-hand MiG-29s from Russia that will be upgraded to the MiG-29 UPG standard in IAF service. Supposedly in very good condition, based on the IAF team that evaluated the airframes. They will most likely need new RD-33 Series 3 engines that are used on the MiG-29 UPG fighters.

IAF wants to accept Russian offer of 21 surplus MiG-29 fighters

The under-strength Indian Air Force(IAF), already making do by extending the life of its MiG-29, Mirage 2000, and Jaguar fleet, is now evaluating an unexpected windfall from Moscow for a brand new squadron of upgraded MiG-29 multi-role fighters.

These 21 fighters were built in the 1980s by Russian firm, RAC MiG, for the Russian Air Force, which eventually could not muster up the money to pay for them.

For three decades, these aircraft have lain unused; their wings stored separate from their bodies. Now, the IAF has been invited to buy them at the price they were built which is below $25 million (Rs 175 crore). That is cheaper even than the Tejas Mark 1 fighter.

A high-level IAFteam has returned from Russia, where we found the MiG-29s to be in excellent condition. They could make an excellent addition to our fleet and we are submitting a positive report, said a senior air marshal who is directly involved in air force acquisitions.

The IAFinducted the MiG-29 in the late-1980s after the United States supplied the Pakistan Air Force the F-16 Falcon fighter. Since then, the IAF has operated three MiG-29 squadrons: called First Supersonics, Black Archers and Tridents. Two of these squadrons are based in Adampur, Punjab and the third in Jamnagar, Gujarat.

The IAFs existing 69 MiG-29s are currently undergoing a $900 million mid-life upgrade to the MiG-29UPG standard. While the old MiG-29s were mainly twin-engine, air-superiority fighters, optimised for air-to-air combat with enemy fighters. The far more capable MiG-29UPG is a multi-role fighter that is also equipped and armed to strike ground targets.

In addition, with the addition of large capacity fuel tanks and mid-air refuelling capability, the IAF regards its MiG-29UPGs as long-range, multi-role fighters.

These are without question the most capable MiG-29s flying anywhere in the world, said the IAF air marshal.

Russia has confirmed that it will upgrade the 21 MiG-29s now being offered to the same standard as IAFs other three MiG-29UPG squadrons. That would add another $15 million or so to each fighters price.

In addition to the IAFs fleet of MiG-29UPGs, the Indian Navy operates the MiG-29K/KUB variant off the aircraft carrier, INS Vikramaditya. This variant will also fly from the INS Vikrant, when it is delivered in 2020-21.

Comment

• BlackArcher
                                        Rank 5 Registered User
                                        • Dec 2010

More details on the 21 MiG-29s that Russia has offered along with the UPG upgrade.

Apparently these were not completed airframes.

Livefist link

The Indian Air Force has expressed interest in acquiring 21 MiG-29s from Russia aircraft built from half-constructed 1980s airframes that were never completed. Sources indicate that the IAF has been offered a bargain price for the jets a win-win for both sides, since the IAF gets an additional squadron at a bargain price, while the beleaguered RAC-MiG gets to warm up its production line while pushing out airframe shells that were going nowhere. These airframes, sources confirm, will be brought up to the MiG-29UPG standard that half of the IAFs Fulcrum fleet is on, with the other half being upgraded progressively. Livefist had a chance to see these airframes last year at MiGs Lukhovitsy facility near Moscow.

Comment

• TR1
                                          TR1
                                          http://tiny.cc/tp8kd
                                          • Oct 2010

I am still not convinced of the "stored for years" hypothesis, not for all 21 air-frames.

That photo as best as I can tell, dates from 2013:

http://survincity.com/2013/10/produc...9-in-moscow-2/
                                          http://survincity.com/2013/06/produc...-29-in-moscow/

Those airframes were moved from the conserved storage they were in earlier:

https://www.alfotoru.com/2011/11/12/...C%D0%B8%D0%B3/

A lot of airframes, but keep in mind those photos are over a decade old.

However that was around the time Myanmar bought ~20 MiG-29s and VKS bought another 18. I have a hard time believing there are another 20+ left, though I could be wrong.
                                          sigpic

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X