Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indian Air Force Thread 21

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anant
    Rank 5 Registered User

Thanks BlackArcher for nice clcks. Disappointed though with Tejas display. It seems from videos of aero india 2017, the display by tejas was not as aggressive in Bangalore as it was in Bahrain. I wanted to see tight turns by the LCA in aero show

Comment

• BlackArcher
      Rank 5 Registered User

Originally posted by Anant View Post
      Thanks BlackArcher for nice clcks. Disappointed though with Tejas display. It seems from videos of aero india 2017, the display by tejas was not as aggressive in Bangalore as it was in Bahrain. I wanted to see tight turns by the LCA in aero show
      I thought that the display was the same as that at the Bahrain Air Show..

Comment

• BlackArcher
        Rank 5 Registered User

Dhruv displaying troop insertion capability

Comment

• BlackArcher
          Rank 5 Registered User

MiG-29 UPG on static display
          Static display of a MiG-29UPG with it's distinctive hump, seen here armed with a R-73 close combat missile, RVV-AE active radar homing beyond visual range air to air missile and R-27R semi-active radar homing beyond visual range missile

Comment

• BlackArcher
            Rank 5 Registered User

Jaguar IM Darin 3 upgrade on static display
            Jaguar Darin 3 prototype 'JM 255' with it's weapons on display.

Seen here are the Griffin 3 LGB, HSLD 450 and HSLD 250 general purpose bombs in the front. On the flanks of the aircraft the CATM-84D1 Harpoon Captive Air Training Missile and CBU-105 Sensor Fuzed Weapon cluster bomb can be seen. The aircraft is also equipped with a LITENING 3 laser designator pod.

Comment

• Anant
              Rank 5 Registered User

Originally posted by BlackArcher View Post
              I thought that the display was the same as that at the Bahrain Air Show..
              ummm well I am assuming from videos posted in tube, the routine seemed different from Bahrain. And no minimum radius turn was seen, as shown in Bahrain. The routine was omre of the same as previous aero India. Or it could be Bahrain Airshow managed to capture better. Also I perceived gripen had displayed more aggressively than lca.

Leaving my above rant aside: From some news coming through it seems french consultancy is needed in helping declaring Kaveri safe for flying and thus paving way for fitting in Tejas.

Also any updates on GTRE-Kaveri front? When will they put SCB in Kaveri and test? They have had SCB for some time now. I am surprised they havent tested SCB in Kaveri yet or have any plans to put them in Kaveri.
              Last edited by Anant; 16th February 2017, 21:14.

Comment

• BlackArcher
                Rank 5 Registered User

Originally posted by Anant View Post
                ummm well I am assuming from videos posted in tube, the routine seemed different from Bahrain. And no minimum radius turn was seen, as shown in Bahrain. The routine was omre of the same as previous aero India. Or it could be Bahrain Airshow managed to capture better. Also I perceived gripen had displayed more aggressively than lca.
                Check this Youtube video of the LCA at Aero India 2017

Comment

• vikasrehman
                  Rank 5 Registered User

Thanks for the pics & news BlackArcher. I must confess I have always found NLCA a pleasure to look at.

One question. BalaJi in his interview indicated end of mk1a production in 2024 and mk2 production from 2030. Surely that cannot be right???
                  Nothing is easier than self-deceit. For what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true. Demosthenes

Comment

• BlackArcher
                    Rank 5 Registered User

Originally posted by vikasrehman View Post
                    Thanks for the pics & news BlackArcher. I must confess I have always found NLCA a pleasure to look at.

One question. BalaJi in his interview indicated end of mk1a production in 2024 and mk2 production from 2030. Surely that cannot be right???
                    yes, it seems that there's a typo..the quote was

‘If you consider that the LCA Mk.1 will be built till 2024 and the LCA Mk.2, when ordered, should be built between 2030-35, then 2035 is good target for production of the AMCA,’ Balaji says.
                    Clearly, the Mk2 production should start when Mk1A production ends. That is ~2024. So the time period should have been ~2025-35, for a total of ~123+ Tejas Mk2s.

And yes, the Naval LCA is almost everyone's favorite LCA variant. Mine too.

Last edited by BlackArcher; 16th February 2017, 22:05.

Comment

• BlackArcher
                      Rank 5 Registered User

HAL HTT-40 aerial demo

Comment

• vikasrehman
                        Rank 5 Registered User

yes, it seems that there's a typo..the quote was

Clearly, the Mk2 production should start when Mk1A production ends. That is ~2024. So the time period should have been ~2025-35, for a total of ~123+ Tejas Mk2s.

And yes, the Naval LCA is almost everyone's favorite LCA variant. Mine too.

Thanks!
                        Another question. From what I can gather, they are planning to increase NLCA dimensions in MK2 thereby increasing its fuel capacity/range etc. Yet they are also promising a reduction in empty weight. How? I mean there is only so much they could achieve by redesigning the landing gear. Or is this another one of those over ambitious goals which might come back to bite them.

ps. Now those projections for AMCA timelines seem more realistic than what we were used to in the past.
                        Nothing is easier than self-deceit. For what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true. Demosthenes

Comment

• BlackArcher
                          Rank 5 Registered User

Originally posted by vikasrehman View Post
                          Thanks!
                          Another question. From what I can gather, they are planning to increase NLCA dimensions in MK2 thereby increasing its fuel capacity/range etc. Yet they are also promising a reduction in empty weight. How? I mean there is only so much they could achieve by redesigning the landing gear. Or is this another one of those over ambitious goals which might come back to bite them.

ps. Now those projections for AMCA timelines seem more realistic than what we were used to in the past.
                          They're going to increase the length of the N-LCA by 1m and the width by 350mm plus some other aerodynamic refinements such as reduced nose droop compared to the NP1 and NP2 protos. LEVCONs seem to have done their job and will be retained. the FCS changes such as the Automatic AoA Approach Hold Controller mode that were tested out on NP1 and NP2 will also go on to the Mk2

Wing Span will get pushed out that way, but it will increase internal fuel capacity and help in the MLG retraction and attachment. The issue with the NP1 and NP2 prototypes was that load transfer to the structure through the attachment point of the MLG was not optimum. It couldn't be fixed without a big re-design and that is what the N-LCA Mk2 aims to do. That fix should help reduce the weight of the landing gear, which is the biggest issue with the NP1 and NP2, which has led to a much higher empty weight than is optimal. And with that done, the payload should increase. As will the fuel and hence the endurance in a clean configuration. Plus the F-414 will give it a 90kN engine, allowing for higher payload/fuel to be carried.
                          Last edited by BlackArcher; 16th February 2017, 23:20.

Comment

• BlackArcher
                            Rank 5 Registered User

DRDO developing a new High Band Jammer pod for the Su-30MKI to replace the SAP518 pod (referred to as the 51A by mistake). Apparently the IAF was very unhappy with the pod and its impact on the MKI's flight envelope, plus interface issues with the MKI's RWR. IAF is reportedly happy with the new pod, calling it "very promising".

Plus, plans to replace the MKI's current analog RWR system with a new DARE developed digital RWR 'Dhruti'

DARE developing new jammer pod for IAF's Su-30MKI

It all begins with the Russian SAP51A jammer pod that Moscow supplied with the Su-30MKI. After grappling for years with the pod, the Indian Air Force finally in 2015 realised it simply couldn’t use them for two reasons. One, they were heavy — and when slung onto wingtip hardpoints, they cut into flying envelope like a butcher’s knife.

‘With the Russian pods, the Sukhoi is basically a transport aircraft,’ one of the scientists says.

The second issue is even worse. The IAF realised the SAP51A pod hadn’t been properly interfacing with the indigenous on-board radar warning receiver (RWR), therefore killing pilots’ chances to exploit both systems fully. While the reasons why the IAF took their time remains unclear (but at one level understandable), DRDO’s Defence Avionics Research Establishment stepped in immediately, offering to help. The result is the pod you see those three scientists standing next to in the photograph above.

DARE’s High Band Jammer (HBJ) pod begins dummy carriage trials in six months on an IAF Su-30MKI, with full integration within the year. By 2019, DARE has committed to seeing the pod become fully operational with the IAF’s Flanker fleet.

Significantly, the HBJ pod will be a fully indigenous one. A DARE scientist explains that the HBJ pod currently has three major systems: the integrated EW suite, the active array phased transmit-receive unit and the cooling system. While the first two have been rapidly developed in-house, the complex cooling system is in process, with DARE sourcing an Israeli system for the moment. The team says they’ll have a fully functional Indian cooling system on the HBJ pod before full integration trials by the end of the year.

Better still, the HBJ pod, the scientists tell Livefist, will spawn a family of EW sensors and systems for platforms like the LCA Tejas, MiG-29 and any other fighter the IAF chooses to operate.

The Indian Air Force, which has embraced the wares from DARE more than kit from most other DRDO labs is expectedly thrilled. An IAF Su-30MKI pilot at the show confirmed that the HBJ pod was a ‘very promising system’ and that ‘more than anything, it is our own in-house development, so I don’t have to run to the Russians if something doesn’t work’.

A DARE scientist associated with the project tells a familiar story: Russia’s unwillingness to share codes (or its insistence on an additional commercial understanding) that could have helped manage the interfacing issues between the SAP51A pod and Indian RWR better and faster.

Incidentally, the indigenous DARE RWR on the IAF’s Su-30MKIs will also be replaced soon. The lab is in final testing of an all digital RWR (the existing system is analog) christened ‘Dhruti’ that will begin ground testing in May this year, followed by a phased installation across the fleet.
                            Last edited by BlackArcher; 17th February 2017, 00:30.

Comment

• JakobS
                              Rank 5 Registered User

There were several issues that caused the Rafale deal to collapse, he says, but he specifically pointed to France’s unwillingness to part with a proprietary RAM that is applied to the Rafale’s canopy. Had the deal moved forward, Rafales completed in India would have been sent to France to receive the coating.
                              https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...thy-am-434300/

Comment

• Loke
                                Rank 5 Registered User

Apart from the single-engine fighter contest, Livefist can confirm that both Boeing and Dassault have been formally informed that the requirement for a twin-engine Make in India fighter will be floated once the Indian MoD finalises and announces its strategic partnership policy (Minister Parrikar yesterday suggested there was only 5% work left). Both companies also concur that the deal will be to supple well over 150 jets to the Indian Air Force (and, potentially, the Indian Navy), and a focus to export to the global market.
                                I am really puzzled by this -- so they are going to have:

1. The SU-30mki (270 or so?)
                                2. 36 Rafale
                                3. 123(?) Tejas mk1/mk2?
                                4. 150 or so "single engine fighter" (Gripen E/F or F-16 block 70)
                                5. More than 150 twin-engine fighters (in addition to the 36 Rafale).
                                6. quite a few Mirage 2000 and Jaguar
                                7. Some older migs

wow.

Also it will be interesting to see if they go for Rafale or SH as the twin-engine "foreign" fighter. Although at this stage I must admit I am puzzled they don't choose the F-35 instead of a large number of twin-engine 4.5 gen fighters, by the time they are ready to order it should be significantly cheaper than the Rafale and perhaps also cheaper than the SH while being much more capable -- ooops I forgot India wants local production, that does not fit well with choosing the F-35 does it...

Comment

• Loke
                                  Rank 5 Registered User

What are the French worried about, the Rafale contains no state-of-the-art technology, it's all outdated 80s stuff.

/sarcasm

Comment

• halloweene
                                    Rank 5 Registered User

Originally posted by Loke View Post
                                    What are the French worried about, the Rafale contains no state-of-the-art technology, it's all outdated 80s stuff.

/sarcasm

Same as F-22...

Comment

• Loke
                                      Rank 5 Registered User

While sources in the IAF said the Gripen is a new and better aircraft compared to the F-16, which has only been updated, experts say that the latter may still have an edge. Air Marshal BK Pandey (retd) said, "Given the present political scenario and the kind of ties we are looking at having with the US, the F-16 looks like the aircraft. Just buying that, however, would be foolish."

Another expert pointed out that if the F-16 deal has to come through then there needs to be some policy change in the US pertaining to Transfer of Technology (ToT) which may take years but the IAF's need is immediate.

"If India is buying an aircraft, it's looking at transfer of technology, without which the government would not go ahead as it makes no sense," Air Marshal M Matheswaran (retd) said.
                                      http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/57134888.cms

Comment

• JSR
                                        JSR
                                        Rank 5 Registered User

DRDO developing a new High Band Jammer pod for the Su-30MKI to replace the SAP518 pod (referred to as the 51A by mistake). Apparently the IAF was very unhappy with the pod and its impact on the MKI's flight envelope, plus interface issues with the MKI's RWR. IAF is reportedly happy with the new pod, calling it "very promising".

Plus, plans to replace the MKI's current analog RWR system with a new DARE developed digital RWR 'Dhruti'

DARE developing new jammer pod for IAF's Su-30MKI
                                        This pod story does not make sense. The pods were developed in early 90s and exported first to RMAF. it is more like outdated export tech.

Comment

• vikasrehman
                                          Rank 5 Registered User

This whole thing is mind boggling.

Both F-16 and Gripen were part of MMRCA competition not too long ago. Neither was good enough for IAF back then. IAF purchased 36 Rafales in an off the shelf deal (may be because it would not have been easy to scrap that deal after millions the participants had poured into it). And now both Gripen/F-16 are back in line. Where is the logic in all this?

When it comes to ToT, I think India would probably get a better deal with Gripen than F-16.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X