UK/RAF and Japan/JASDF Cooperation on Military Exercises and Defence

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 2 months

So, not long back from Japan with my partner and step-daughter, holiday, bit of work and attended the Formula 1 weekend in Suzuka, (Hamilton didn't half blow it & what's up with Ferrari...). Great time but yes, I just came across this and it's regarding the relationship, future relationship I guess it could be said, between the UK and Japan. For one, it seems as though the UK are looking at extending it's presence in the region in terms of not only in Air and Defence, but in Sea as well. A few snippets of information from the link:

“Japan is our closest security partner in Asia and I want to significantly deepen defence cooperation between our two nations.

We will do that through joint exercises, reciprocal access to our military bases, military personnel exchanges and cooperation on equipment, including a new air-to-air missile.”

- Defence Secretary Michael Fallon.

The exercises with Japan and South Korea are in part designed to counter the rising threats from North Korea’s intensified nuclear and missile tests, according to local media.

The South Korean Air Force said in a statement that the exercise will be conducted between the 4th and 10th of November at Osan Air Base. Exercise Invincible Shield will involve a combined aerial exercise, “the first of its kind” the statement added.

Britain is planning to send four Typhoon jets, a Voyager tanker aircraft and C-17 Globemaster transport aircraft to take part in the exercise.

According to a press release, the Chief of Staff of the Japanese Air Self Defence Force, General Yoshiyuki Sugiyama, announced that the first-ever UK-Japan Fighter Exercise would be hosted at JASDF Misawa Air Base from mid-October to early November.

This is the first time the JASDF has hosted an exercise with a foreign nation other than the United States. The far east exercise will be aimed at enhancing interoperability to deepen the UK and Japan’s partnership in security and defence.

Earlier in the year it was revealed that Japan and the UK are moving forward with efforts to develop a new joint air-to-air missile.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/britain-stepping-military-presence-far-east/?utm_source=FB&utm_medium=FacebookPage&utm_campaign=social

I'm guessing this is the post-Brexit Global Britain we're about to see for the future. Something I welcome.

Thoughts?

Original post

Member for

12 years 3 months

This is the way to go.
I am only guessing the RAF lacks all the C17 support it would need in such a big theatre. Why not pool in the way it is done in Eu?

Member for

18 years 9 months

So, not long back from Japan with my partner and step-daughter, holiday, bit of work and attended the Formula 1 weekend in Suzuka,

(Off topic). Never been there at the right time for F1, but I've often passed through Suzuka. My mother-in-law's family came from Tsu, the capital of the prefecture & just south of Suzuka.