Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chinese air power thread 18

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #81
    Originally posted by QuantumFX View Post
    And back at CAC, one J-20 is testing with what appear to be 4-drop tanks?

    very difficult to tell from low resolution pictures.
    but if it is 4 drop tanks, then the j-20 likely will have the longest range of all the 5th generation aircraft in existence.

    but I think they are anti ship missiles.

    Comment


      #82
      Originally posted by SolarWarden View Post
      I wonder if the Pak-Fa will ever open its weapons bay doors. J-20 did it in flight and have yet to see the Pak-Fa do it while static.
      Hmm, never.. It's logical to design weapon bays and then never use them.. makes sense..

      Comment


        #83
        Originally posted by MSphere View Post
        Hmm, never.. It's logical to design weapon bays and then never use them.. makes sense..
        It was rhetorical question. But I'm not surprised you're the only one that didn't know that.

        Comment


          #84
          Originally posted by Y-20 Bacon View Post
          where's the flares bay on the j-20? if it has one
          Here:

          Click image for larger version

Name:	J-20A_decoys2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	3670754Click image for larger version

Name:	J-20A_decoys.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	3670755
          sigpic

          Comment


            #85
            Originally posted by Byoin View Post
            the US just uses stealth paint evenly and has not figured out how to apply it in more variations
            Say what?

            https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...4a6efb2101.jpg

            http://media.defense.gov/2005/May/13...-2295B-280.JPG
            sigpic

            Comment


              #86
              Originally posted by Trident View Post
              Here:

              [ATTACH=CONFIG]249114[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]249115[/ATTACH]
              incorrect, they are on the bottom, not top

              Comment


                #87
                Originally posted by SolarWarden View Post
                It was rhetorical question. But I'm not surprised you're the only one that didn't know that.
                Mine was a rhetorical answer. But I'm not surprised you're the only one that didn't know that.

                Comment


                  #88
                  what are you showing me here ? Those spots are more from just heat dissipation no ?

                  Comment


                    #89
                    In my view, the J-20 appears to be far more agile in the air than its design would otherwise suggest, at least based on the videos so far available, and especially considering the fact that it lacks TVC.

                    Comment


                      #90
                      Originally posted by KGB View Post
                      what are you showing me here ? Those spots are more from just heat dissipation no ?

                      Such a fountain of knowledge!

                      Comment


                        #91
                        Originally posted by foxmulder_ms View Post
                        Such a fountain of knowledge!
                        Stops by for a cheap shot. Too cowardly to put his own alleged knowledge up for scrutiny.

                        Comment


                          #92
                          Originally posted by Alpha Bravo View Post
                          In my view, the J-20 appears to be far more agile in the air than its design would otherwise suggest, at least based on the videos so far available, and especially considering the fact that it lacks TVC.
                          Although a little smaller they are still delta wings + canard+ Lerx, so I would expect a maneouvreability at least comparable to a JF-17 if not even a J-10, and not like the Mig-31, even without TVC.

                          Comment


                            #93
                            Originally posted by Alpha Bravo View Post
                            In my view, the J-20 appears to be far more agile in the air than its design would otherwise suggest, at least based on the videos so far available, and especially considering the fact that it lacks TVC.
                            Those video seem accelerated to give perception of agility.

                            Comment


                              #94
                              Originally posted by JSR View Post
                              Those video seem accelerated to give perception of agility.
                              If it had some indigenous engine that we knew nothing about then I wouldn't be skeptical. But damn does it rocket up

                              Comment


                                #95
                                Originally posted by Marcellogo View Post
                                Although a little smaller they are still delta wings + canard+ Lerx, so I would expect a maneouvreability at least comparable to a JF-17 if not even a J-10, and not like the Mig-31, even without TVC.
                                tvc is a bandaid solution. that's why rafale, eurofighter, gripen, f-35, j-20, jf-17, j-10 don't need it.

                                Comment


                                  #96
                                  Originally posted by Alpha Bravo View Post
                                  In my view, the J-20 appears to be far more agile in the air than its design would otherwise suggest, at least based on the videos so far available, and especially considering the fact that it lacks TVC.
                                  can you link where J-20 show off agility ?

                                  Comment


                                    #97
                                    Originally posted by Byoin View Post
                                    tvc is a bandaid solution. that's why rafale, eurofighter, gripen, f-35, j-20, jf-17, j-10 don't need it.
                                    TVC simply enhances a fighter jet's maneuverability. The jets you mentioned all have different reasons why they don't have it. And it has nothing to do with solutions to other problems.

                                    I think it is telling that the 2 countries with the most experience and expertise in the business both have TVC variants on their flagship jets. And Russia went the extra mile and went 3D.

                                    Comment


                                      #98
                                      Originally posted by obligatory View Post
                                      can you link where J-20 show off agility ?
                                      i think he's talking about this latest video. Watch the jet go off in the distance and then just rocket up into the heavens and does a nifty move
                                      Last edited by KGB; 20th October 2016, 04:27.

                                      Comment


                                        #99
                                        Originally posted by KGB View Post
                                        TVC simply enhances a fighter jet's maneuverability. The jets you mentioned all have different reasons why they don't have it. And it has nothing to do with solutions to other problems.

                                        I think it is telling that the 2 countries with the most experience and expertise in the business both have TVC variants on their flagship jets. And Russia went the extra mile and went 3D.
                                        no. the flag ship jet of the us is the f-35. it is their most expensive and important program. they dropped the tvc. the f-22 is a 30 year old design.
                                        so we have 5 different leading aviation preferring NOT to use tvc. it had its day, and now it is gone.
                                        Russia is sticking to it because it is part of their philosophy. they know they are at a strong disadvantage to western jets in radar range and missile reliability and range, so they are hoping to win the close in fight.

                                        if the su-35 rumor is true, then expect to see China make a copy of its engine and improve upon it. no big deal.

                                        Comment


                                          design wise F-22 and F-35 not have more than 10 year difference. its is the old avionics system design of F-22 that make it expensive.
                                          maker of Rafale/Gripen/Eurofighter are not by any stretch leading aviation countries. just look at Airbus civil how they are managing it from titanium to designing various parts.

                                          Comment


                                           

                                          Working...
                                          X