Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chinese air power thread 18

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because the Ka-52 and Mi-28 exist. MOD has no desire for lighter weight attack helos either.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha Bravo View Post
      So how come the Russians didn't develop the Kamov design and sold it to the Chinese instead?
      They already had Ka-50 and Mi-28 designs way back.

Comment

J-20: Weapons bay doors open and PL-10 visible

J-20: Close-ups, especially the IRST

J-20: Fresh out of the factory

Comment

Divine Eagle HALE UAV taken flight

Comment

J-20:

Last edited by QuantumFX; 2nd June 2018, 03:37. Reason: Replaced video with animated gif

Comment

HQ footage of J-20, J-16, J-10C

Comment

China and Russia actually benefit from selling each other monkey model J-20s and Su-57s. The J-20 and Su-57 have different strengths and weakneses, and a combination of the two of them would be harder to counter than a simple J-20 or Su-57 force. For the RuAF, J-20s could function as stealthy spotters for their Su-57s. For the PLAAF, Su-57s could function to assist clean-up after the merge, or to carry long-range interception or anti-ship missiles.

Comment

We have a pretty good view on the double octogonal split air outlets (the yellow J-20).

Comment

WS-10X powered J-20: https://twitter.com/HenriKenhmann/st...73623220568064

Comment

More of the same but with bit more footage

Comment

J-20 with Lunenberg lens...must be the ones allegedly picked up by indian radars.

Comment

^Yeah I like that idea too. Russia and China should swap these birds.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha Bravo View Post
                            J-20 with Lunenberg lens...must be the ones allegedly picked up by indian radars.
                            All production J-20s whether demo flights/flypast or aggressive training with other PLAAF aircrafts appear to carry Lunenberg lenses. Even the later prototypes (especially #2017) used Lunenberg lenses. These are very young birds and early days for the PLAAF when using 5th gen aircraft and they will do everything to hide its true RCS. There were rumors (from SDF?) that J-20 had to use Lunenberg lenses even when going up against aggressors comprising of KJ-500 and J-10B as well as ground based assets including S-300. And these newly released footage suggests that maybe true. PLAAF will be extremely protective of the J-20 and will not be risking it near the border of any country without masking its RCS. They might (stress the might) fly near a border of a country if the RCS is heavily masked and their motive was to test the J-20 passive senors. J-20 is packed full of senors of varying types with 360 degrees. It is a signal sucker/leech. Any aircraft that flashes its radar at the J-20 probably compromised itself by doing so. But again the PLAAF is unlikely to risk the J-20 flying near borders of other countries. They will first use it against J-10B/C, J-16, Su-35, KJ-500, KJ-2000, etc extensively before sending it out on risky mission. It will take the PLAAF years to develop tactics for 5th gen warfare. I mean how long did it take the USAF to adapt to the F-22?

Comment

All production J-20s whether demo flights/flypast or aggressive training with other PLAAF aircrafts appear to carry Lunenberg lenses. Even the later prototypes (especially #2017) used Lunenberg lenses. These are very young birds and early days for the PLAAF when using 5th gen aircraft and they will do everything to hide its true RCS. There were rumors (from SDF?) that J-20 had to use Lunenberg lenses even when going up against aggressors comprising of KJ-500 and J-10B as well as ground based assets including S-300. And these newly released footage suggests that maybe true. PLAAF will be extremely protective of the J-20 and will not be risking it near the border of any country without masking its RCS. They might (stress the might) fly near a border of a country if the RCS is heavily masked and their motive was to test the J-20 passive senors. J-20 is packed full of senors of varying types with 360 degrees. It is a signal sucker/leech. Any aircraft that flashes its radar at the J-20 probably compromised itself by doing so. But again the PLAAF is unlikely to risk the J-20 flying near borders of other countries. They will first use it against J-10B/C, J-16, Su-35, KJ-500, KJ-2000, etc extensively before sending it out on risky mission. It will take the PLAAF years to develop tactics for 5th gen warfare. I mean how long did it take the USAF to adapt to the F-22?
                              My thoughts exactly. There's no way the J-20 would have flown close enough to the indian border, or any other border, without some form of attempt at masking its true RCS, i.e. with a Lunenberg lens or something similar. The J-20 has appeared with the Lunenberg lens almost every time when flying against other platforms in DACT, or when flying in non-restricted public airspace. I don't even think they would fly the J-20 near an adversary border, even at this early stage, in an attempt to test its passive sensors. They could readily simulate and test this without taking that risk.

Comment

holi-sheeeeeeeeeet Just sw thig at SDF:

Full-scale mock-up of Anjian "Dark Sword" UCAV?

Comment

Looks about J-10’s size, prbably designed around the same parts.
                                  pb::

Comment

Looks about J-10’s size, prbably designed around the same parts.
                                    But the J-10 is from CAC ... the Dark Sword from SAC !

So IMO unlikely.

Anyway; most surprising ... and so the questions are now:
                                    - why was it unveiled now?
                                    - who are these guys and where - on what event - was it shown?
                                    - ... is it a recent image or only now posted?
                                    - Is it still alive? I thought it was long dead and superseded by the Sharp Sword.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
                                    My working week and my Sunday rest,
                                    My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
                                    I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one:
                                    Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
                                    Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods:
                                    For nothing now can ever come to any good.
                                    -------------------------------------------------
                                    W.H.Auden (1945)

Comment

SAC and CAC are not parts suppliers right? I assume they use the same subcontractors.

If the Chinese really want to upset everyone, they should put out a VTOL UCAV model. The merde will hit the ventilator.
                                      Last edited by Multirole; 5th June 2018, 09:20.
                                      pb::

Comment

SAC and CAC are not parts suppliers right? I assume they use the same subcontractors.
                                        Just because J-10 and Dark Sword both are single engine canard deltas doesn't mean they have a similar lineage or use similar parts...

In any case, I imagine we'll get more info over the next few days to suggest whether this mock up is legit (i.e.: from SAC/AVIC or something unrelated to them), as well as whether it is in any form of development atm.

Comment

If the Chinese really want to upset everyone, they should put out a VTOL UCAV model. The merde will hit the ventilator.
                                          Why would that be the case? What's so special about a VTOL UCAV?

This has long been vapourware, seems like they're going ahead with it. What role would it play, recon, attack?

Comment

Working...
                                          X