If you had to choose between Rafale or F-35

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

10 years 11 months

seeing as how some in the other thread are arguing they are around the same price:

both come in naval and land based variants
both are often advertised to be awesomesauce in air to ground, with a decent air to air capability
both are advertised as being stealthy

which would you choose

Original post

Member for

8 years 7 months

Whoever have larger radar.

Member for

12 years 3 months

As I've no need for a fighter aircraft in my commute, I'll stick with my Honda Accord... Better gas mileage.

Member for

7 years 7 months

Not even a choice - F-35.

It's like choosing between chocolate and a freshly laid turd.

Member for

14 years 1 month

Rafale.. I would not take the F-35 even if it came free of charge.

Member for

15 years 5 months

F-35 will ultimately be better bang for buck,
if Meteor integration ever happen it will also become a good BVR platform

Member for

9 years 5 months

Rafale.. I would not take the F-35 even if it came free of charge.

bias is strong with this one

Member for

9 years 9 months

The F-35 will have the advantage of large production numbers which will lower its cost close to that of the rafale, so the comparison is a bit unfair.

Member for

14 years 1 month

bias is strong with this one
...says a China bot.. :)

Now or in the future?

If I wanted a plan that could go to war now, I would choose the Rafale, as it is a proven platform.
If the question was being asked in say 5 years, I might say F35, assuming that by that time it had got to Block 4 Software and that it had proven itself, in this configuration, at such things as Red Flag, it is just too immature at the moment.
Then the question of what do I want out of plane, IMHO Rafale, with its higher speed is better for air defence.

Member for

7 years 7 months

...says a China bot.. :)

Well to be fair there are more than a few Franco bots too.

Member for

7 years 7 months

If I wanted a plan that could go to war now, I would choose the Rafale, as it is a proven platform.
If the question was being asked in say 5 years, I might say F35, assuming that by that time it had got to Block 4 Software and that it had proven itself, in this configuration, at such things as Red Flag, it is just too immature at the moment.
Then the question of what do I want out of plane, IMHO Rafale, with its higher speed is better for air defence.

By all accounts the F-35 has walloped other aircraft at Red Flag.

By all accounts the F-35 has walloped other aircraft at Red Flag.

Yes I had seen that, I am also aware that the F35 using 3i or 2B software can only carry 2 AA missiles and 2 1,000lb bombs, not necessarily the load out that is required, I am also aware that there have been reports saying that there are problems with the project, issued by the Pentagon, I am sure the truth is somewhere between the two extremes, quite where on the continuum is the real question that nobody, as far as I know, knows the answer to, hence my response.

Member for

14 years 1 month

Well to be fair there are more than a few Franco bots too.

I am not one of 'em.. I just don't like the F-35..

Member for

7 years 7 months

I am not one of 'em.. I just don't like the F-35..

Many don't because of how it looks. Hell, I don't even like how it looks. I don't much like the look of Stephen Hawking either, he also doesn't move very fast, but the guy is smart as hell.

Member for

7 years 7 months

Yes I had seen that, I am also aware that the F35 using 3i or 2B software can only carry 2 AA missiles and 2 1,000lb bombs, not necessarily the load out that is required, I am also aware that there have been reports saying that there are problems with the project, issued by the Pentagon, I am sure the truth is somewhere between the two extremes, quite where on the continuum is the real question that nobody, as far as I know, knows the answer to, hence my response.

A half ready F-35 is still better than a fully ready 4th gen though.

Member for

14 years 1 month

Many don't because of how it looks. Hell, I don't even like how it looks. I don't much like the look of Stephen Hawking either, he also doesn't move very fast, but the guy is smart as hell.
Hawking is a class.. But I love it how he's able to admit a defeat.. doesn't occur very often, though.. Kane of Hicks boson, Preskill on black hole's information paradox, Choptuik on naked singularities is all I can remember..

Member for

7 years 7 months

Hawking is a class.. But I love it how he's able to admit a defeat.. doesn't occur very often, though.. Kane of Hick's Boson, Preskill on black hole's information paradox, Choptuik on naked singularities is all I can remember..

So he has development bugs too? Well, what do you know? My analogy was better than expected.

Member for

14 years 1 month

There is one problem, though.. as you have mentioned, Hawking is a class, the Rafale is a chocolate and the F-35 is a freshly laid turd..
You were, indeed, correct, but unlike you, I never liked turds.. and never will..

Member for

16 years 8 months

As I've no need for a fighter aircraft in my commute, I'll stick with my Honda Accord... Better gas mileage.

I myself am looking to a Mazda 3, a Ford Focus or an Opel Astra, the FIAT Punto is getting too small, those three are much better than a JSF or a Rafale for carrying the groceries and the kid...

Member for

13 years 5 months

As the question makes no sense in the absence of timelines, mission requirements, budgets and national-strategic considerations, this is as good an answer as any.

Still, I wouldn't mind an F-35 -- would sell for a fair bit I expect. Can I request a "B" model?