Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RuAF News and development Thread part 15

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 14 (0 members and 14 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Levsha
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by a89 View Post
    This factor was also pointed out by Yugoslavian pilotos who evaluated MiG-29, F-16 and Mirage 2000.
    When did Yugoslav pilots get to fly the F-16 and Mirage 2000?

The general consensus from Luftwaffe and USAF pilots who flew ex East German MiG-29s was that while the helmet mounted sights and and R-73 SRAAM were certainly impressive, the found the radar less impressive and the IRST not really worth having.

Comment

• a89
      a89
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Sep 2011

The general consensus from Luftwaffe and USAF pilots who flew ex East German MiG-29s was that while the helmet mounted sights and and R-73 SRAAM were certainly impressive, the found the radar less impressive and the IRST not really worth having.
      Back in the 1980s. Note that those Luftwaffe/USAF pilots came from more advanced F-16 versions, or F-4 Phantom upgraded with F-18 avionics. In the 1990s MiG-29s would have fielded M version.

The IRST comment was made by a USAF pilot who spent some time in JG 73. Maybe the system was struggling with reliability because the opinion is not shared by other pilots (including Luftwaffe).
      History and Military Technology blog

alejandro-8en.blogspot.com

Comment

• Austin
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Oct 2003

Those days SU used to export downgraded models and I read after break up of East Germany they took many classfied stuff from fighters including Mig-29 so as to reduce the exposure and falling it into NATO hand.

Back in 90's IAF has secretly carried out BFM involving Mig-29 and Israel AF F-16 the results of that is unknow but it was a mutually beneficial exposure
        "A map does you no good if you don't know where you are"

Comment

• Austin
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Oct 2003

Indian Airforce MiG-29 versus Mirage 2000: personal account from Air Marshal Harish Masand

https://hushkit.net/2019/08/12/mig-2...harish-masand/

Comment

• J-20
            Rank 4 Registered User
            • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Austin View Post
            Indian Airforce MiG-29 versus Mirage 2000: personal account from Air Marshal Harish Masand

https://hushkit.net/2019/08/12/mig-2...harish-masand/
            TLDR version: MiG-29 Destroys the Mirage 2000 in every single category. instantaneous turns, sustained turns, climb, etc and etc. DESTROYED!!!

Comment

• Austin
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Oct 2003

The Mirage was a much better multirole fighter from IAF pov while Mig-29 excelled in AD exactly the reason why it was purchased by IAF to counter PAF F-16.

I read from Mirage pilot twitter that Mirage-2000 was better in BVR to do better RDY/R530 AAM over Zhuk/R-27

Comment

• Scorpion82
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Jul 2005

Far more, original MiG-29A did not meet range requirements. Hence the hunchback C version (9.13). MiG made substantial changes in MiG-29M and internal fuel capacity increased by 30%.

http://alejandro-8en.blogspot.com/20...VHQ31n54p4fM5V

This comment by IAF MiG-29 pilot is worth pointing out:

This factor was also pointed out by Yugoslavian pilotos who evaluated MiG-29, F-16 and Mirage 2000.
                The table doesn't look right to me, based on various sources that I collected throughout the 90s already. According to these:
                9.12 = 3190 kg
                9.13 = 3480 kg
                9.15/9.31 = 4500 kg
                9.17 = 4775 kg
                9.41/9.61 = 5200 kg

Don't have the twinseat numbers in my head, from memory it's 600 kg or do less on the 9.47/9.67.

Bear in mind that guel weight depends on fuel density, the capacity in litre is basically a more useful metric.

Concerning the SMT:
                9.17 was the original prototype still with the N-019MP
                9.17-2 became the 9.19 with the N-010M
                9.18 for Yemen lacked the spine and thus increasef fuel and internal ECM, but was otherwise the same.

The original 9.15 was a very different aircraft with revised airframe incl. enlarged tailplanes with saw tooth, F/A-18 style airbrake, different tailcone with twin drag chute and reprofiled LERX. The auxiliary intakes were removed and tanks added (4500 kg in total, some state 4460 kg). It had a quadruplex analogue FBW for pitch control, uprated RD-33K with 5500 kg dry/8800 kg reheat thrust. Empty weight 11.5t, MTOW 21t.

Cockpit had reshaped canopy for improved visibility, increased seat inclination (30), HOTAS and two monochrome MFDs controlled by HOTAS only.

Avionics included different chaff/flare dispensers with 120 rounds, L150 Pastel RWR, OEPS-29M, N-010 Zhuk (without M), new INS and IIRC new/improved radios, datalink and radio navigation aids.

Gun ammunition was reduced to 100 rounds, but the aircraft featured 4 pylons per wing with 4500 kg total payload.

Armament changes were supposed to comprise R-77, KAB-500L/KR, Kh-29T/L, Kh-31A/P, S-25L and Kh-25MT/ML/MP (never saw those on the aircraft).

That as a brief summary.

Comment

• haavarla
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Dec 2008

Looks like they did it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=-HAkqvTiwr8

This time against an Hornet. Could this be from Finnish Airforce?
                  Thanks

Comment

• eagle
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Jan 2000

Finland is not part of NATO...
                    That is a Spanish Hornet.
                    How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more.
                    Yngwie Malmsteen

Comment

• paralay
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Aug 2005

"Practical aerodynamics of the MiG-29" fuel capacity (0.785 kg/l) in internal tanks - 3300 kg external tank - 1175 kg operational capacity of internal fuel tanks - 4300 liters produced capacity of internal fuel tanks - 4200 liters

Click image for larger version

Name:	337-mig29p.jpg
Views:	1005
Size:	921.8 KB
ID:	3870965

Comment

• panzerfeist1
                        Rank 6 Registered User
                        • Feb 2018

https://www.aviasalon.com/assets/dow...-31-in-eng.pdf

Sadly I do not see RTI but atleast KRET will be there. https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...&ct=clnk&gl=us also what does the JSC stand for at the end of some company names? krets 2018 book hinted the maks 2019 airshow at the end of their pdf page. 2 weeks is going to feel like forever but I will be on a lookout for a KRET 2019 book from the end of the show and before the end of this year.
                        I thought the fall of western civilization was a tragedy, now I realize it's a comedy.

Comment

• blackwood
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Dec 2011

Joint Stock Company JSC, private shareholders can own stock. Listed iam not sure?. Somebody in corporate world will know.

Comment

• Austin
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Oct 2003

Kremlin To Invest $3 Billion in 35-tonne Turbofan for Il-96, CR929

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-n...an-il-96-cr929

Comment

• XB-70
                              Rank 4 Registered User
                              • May 2018

"Current plans call for combustor trials to begin next year, completion of the first gas-generator in mid-2021, and the first engine to test in 2023."

Well, that answers my biggest question on MAKS-2019. I was wondering if they already had any working hardware to exhibit or discuss. I always knew it was a long shot and it looks like they won't start testing their hardware until 2020. And, since PD-35 seems to be coming along faster than PD-12V, probably nothing there either. It might be a while before us average Joe's see how their common design concept for engines is going.

Comment

• LMFS
                                Rank 4 Registered User
                                • Feb 2018

Originally posted by XB-70 View Post

"Current plans call for combustor trials to begin next year, completion of the first gas-generator in mid-2021, and the first engine to test in 2023."

Well, that answers my biggest question on MAKS-2019. I was wondering if they already had any working hardware to exhibit or discuss. I always knew it was a long shot and it looks like they won't start testing their hardware until 2020. And, since PD-35 seems to be coming along faster than PD-12V, probably nothing there either. It might be a while before us average Joe's see how their common design concept for engines is going.
                                This is what I have found, they are apparently going to cover all the power classes, but it still remains to be seen how the different manufacturers are going to share the market, i.e. Aviadvigatel and Kuznetsov.

Name:	PD-14_RAZVIT_180624_01.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	3871040

Name:	UEC_660x430-620x404.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	3871041

Apart from that we would have the PD-30 based on the NK-32-02

Comment

• a89
                                  a89
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Scorpion82 View Post

The table doesn't look right to me, based on various sources that I collected throughout the 90s already. According to these:
                                  9.12 = 3190 kg
                                  9.13 = 3480 kg
                                  9.15/9.31 = 4500 kg
                                  9.17 = 4775 kg
                                  9.41/9.61 = 5200 kg
                                  Hello Scorpion, the data come from airwar.ru website and Yefim Gordon's book on MiG-29 (description based on manual). For some of the latest variants I had to do some simple calculations. Note that the data you provide are in kg.

"Practical aerodynamics of the MiG-29" fuel capacity (0.785 kg/l) in internal tanks - 3300 kg external tank - 1175 kg operational capacity of internal fuel tanks - 4300 liters produced capacity of internal fuel tanks - 4200 liters
                                  Thanks Paralay, does the table come from a book? Do you have the reference?
                                  Last edited by a89; 16th August 2019, 08:11.
                                  History and Military Technology blog

alejandro-8en.blogspot.com

Comment

• paralay
                                    Rank 5 Registered User
                                    • Aug 2005

Thanks Paralay, does the table come from a book? Do you have the reference?
                                    https://yadi.sk/d/UvfCtDO857kZcw

Comment

• LMFS
                                      Rank 4 Registered User
                                      • Feb 2018

Originally posted by paralay View Post
                                      Wow, thanks!!

Comment

• Deino
                                        Rank 5 Registered User
                                        • Jan 2000

A new and slightly longer video frkm the Okhotnik's maiden flight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xFYc3KCbHw

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
                                        My working week and my Sunday rest,
                                        My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
                                        I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one:
                                        Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
                                        Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods:
                                        For nothing now can ever come to any good.
                                        -------------------------------------------------
                                        W.H.Auden (1945)

Comment

• TR1
                                          TR1
                                          http://tiny.cc/tp8kd
                                          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Austin View Post

All said and done the latest statement from Deputy RuAF chief states Mig-35 Operating cost is 1.5 times lower than modern Sukhoi family
                                          SMT has 40% cheaper flight hours compared to 9.12/9.13, mostly from digital real time health monitoring vs fixed repair calendar like the legacy birds.

MiG claims even bigger savings on MiG-35, but I am not sure what they really are, the above figure is according to the AF.
                                          sigpic

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X