Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RuAF News and development Thread part 15

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (0 members and 4 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr.Snufflebug
    Boggleboople snufflebug

Originally posted by TomcatViP
    Is that some kind of UCAV related test (on the picture the Mig29 is single manned with the active pilot seated in the back)?
    I have no idea what kind of flight tests they were doing, but as you would know if you've ever flown a military trainer - the instructor (senior pilot) sits in the back on nearly all (tandem-seat) models, and when flying a trainer solo you tend to just sit there as well.

The plane pictured is the same airframe that crashed, "white 84", but that particular photo is a couple of years old. Anyway, it flew for the Gromov flight research institute, "LII", which operates out of the well-known Zhukovsky airbase.

There are videos of the crash out there, because nowadays everybody has a decent video recording device in their pockets (i.e. a modern cellphone) and Zhukovsky/Ramenskoe is a pretty urban, populated area, despite it being host to a somewhat secretive airbase. The crash videos show this MiG-29UB being pretty much up in flames well before it hit the ground, so something pretty terrible must have occurred in flight, most likely related to the engines. Severe bird strike, perhaps (goose-level severe).
    Last edited by Dr.Snufflebug; 6th October 2018, 22:24.
    sigpic

Comment

• paralay
      Rank 5 Registered User

9M82 & 9M83

Comment

• St. John
        Rank 3 Registered User

So the 40N6 is just like the 48N6 but bigger, or same size?

Comment

• haavarla
          Rank 5 Registered User

Don't know what "not retractable" means in this context, though.
          That would be the fins, what else could it be?
          Thanks

Comment

• TomcatViP
            Rank 5 Registered User

I have seldom seen a Hawk, Alpha or a T-38 solo flown from the back.. The Mig being certainly not the most pleasant to fly from this position
            Last edited by TomcatViP; 7th October 2018, 15:10.

Comment

• paralay
              Rank 5 Registered User

The 40N6 missile may have the overall dimensions of the Yakhont cruise missile
              Last edited by paralay; 7th October 2018, 17:52.

Comment

• totoro
                Rank 5 Registered User

the container of the missile 48N6 has a diameter of ~ 1 meter
                container UKSK - 0.72 m
                Which is why i said "some variant of UKSK". I mentioned UKSK-M, though I don't know what it will look like. Sometimes one can read it will include SAMs as well. Perhaps it's more likely they mean that'll include Redut system rather than S-400. Still, I am talking about a possible future variant of universal VLS. Chinese pulled it off with their VLS cells having inner diameter of some 81 cm or something like that. HHQ-9 is closer in dimensions to 5V55 round than to 48N6, though. But point is, outer diameter of 48N6 container is not the same thing as inner diameter.

Anyway, we're getting beside the point.

That would be the fins, what else could it be?
                Fins on 48N6 do fold... I am still not understanding the retractable comment.

To get back to the topic: The important question is whether this image attached below is legit or a fanboy made graphic? Can anyone track it down, where did it start circulating? Answering that may help answer the question of 40N6 being same size as 48N6.

What you, Paralay, suggest with your drawings, looks more like the 77N6 missile rumored for S-500 with a different booster. Further complicating the matters is the rumor of 40N6M, a missile allegedly designed for S-500, with similar body to baseline 40N6, but with added booster and possibly different front section, possibly a separate stage front section.
                Last edited by totoro; 8th October 2018, 15:47.

Comment

• panzerfeist1
                  Rank 3 Registered User

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/3371103.html if the Altair program failed, I am now starting to have doubts that a heavier drone like the okhotnik-B is going to be operational in 2020. I am sure the US had good reasons for cancelling the X-47B(with payloads, weight, design, flight range similar to okhotnik-B). They had operational drones like the MQ-9 and RQ-4 heavy as this Altair drone they are trying to develop. What I am saying is my bets are on that the okhotnik-B will not be operational any time soon especially in 2020.

Comment

• mikoyan
                    Rank 5 Registered User

take a load of this, check center pylons
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Trident
                      Rank 5 Registered User

https://bmpd.livejournal.com/3371103.html if the Altair program failed, I am now starting to have doubts that a heavier drone like the okhotnik-B is going to be operational in 2020. I am sure the US had good reasons for cancelling the X-47B(with payloads, weight, design, flight range similar to okhotnik-B). They had operational drones like the MQ-9 and RQ-4 heavy as this Altair drone they are trying to develop. What I am saying is my bets are on that the okhotnik-B will not be operational any time soon especially in 2020.
                      Very vague and poorly substantiated article, but here's how I understand it in a nutshell:

- the project is likely to continue, the developer/OKB remains in charge but the production plant is switched from KAPO to UZGA
                      - issues caused by underfunding, mismanagement and power struggles (surprise - it is Putin's Russia after all...)
                      - Underperforming engines? No such reports have surfaced with the Yak-152, which has been flying on the same powerplant for some time now.

Seems the airframe is considered fundamentally sound (an assessment with which I'm inclined to concur), but completion of design, testing and production is being put in different hands. Fair enough, UZGA are the outfit who have been license-building the IAI Searcher/Forpost, so Altius should be right up their alley. Actually, the biggest threat to the project in my opinion lies in the German roots of the engine - not because it's not up to the task, but it draws heavily on a modern automotive technology base with a correspondingly international supply chain. Consequently there is a danger that it could run afoul of the import substitution drive prompted by Western sanctions. Responsibility for which falls squarely at the feet of the government though...

It would not be the first promising, technologically advanced aerospace project destroyed by Russian politics and mismanagement (An-70, I'm looking at you)
                      sigpic

Comment

• panzerfeist1
                        Rank 3 Registered User

Trident thanks for the info

I stumbled upon some interesting news that needs to be shared here.https://russia-insider.com/en/goodby...-radar/ri24947

"In accordance to his (most likely his sources) info, Russia not only already has radiophotonics radar, we knew that device existed and was working in lab, but that it will be on trials on Su-35 as a platform before 2021 and that it will be a serial production device."

This makes me assume that the SU-57 could have had its radar upgraded. If a 4th gen aircraft is getting ROFAR before 2021, They better have put these damn things on the SU-57 earlier than they would on the SU-35. I can only hope since I believe the contract was 2 su-57s coming out each year.

Comment

• haavarla
                          Rank 5 Registered User

take a load of this, check center pylons
                          Now that is a Flanker on Steroids!!
                          That is Easily a 14 Weapons stations platform with a decent mission range, and with quite the large sticks to go with it.
                          Absolutely 100% Awesome sauce!!
                          Last edited by haavarla; 14th October 2018, 18:25.
                          Thanks

Comment

• ClanWarrior
                            Rank 5 Registered User

It is the first time that I have seen a Su-35 with a pair of R-37's, and featuring air to ground missiles too.

Comment

• Deino
                              Rank 5 Registered User

It is the first time that I have seen a Su-35 with a pair of R-37's, and featuring air to ground missiles too.
                              But these are not R-37... IMO these are clearly Kh-31

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
                              My working week and my Sunday rest,
                              My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
                              I thought that love would last forever; I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now; put out every one:
                              Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
                              Pour away the ocean and sweep up the woods:
                              For nothing now can ever come to any good.
                              -------------------------------------------------
                              W.H.Auden (1945)

Comment

• panzerfeist1
                                Rank 3 Registered User

Posting this here just for laughs about the situation in Syria of the s-300 deployment that he joked about the country having a S-700 air defense. https://www.rt.com/politics/441331-s...irinovky-rant/

Last edited by panzerfeist1; 16th October 2018, 00:15.

Comment

• Austin
                                  Rank 5 Registered User

PD-14 Marks the first new Certified Engine in 2 Decades after PS-90 Series

Russian Engine for Irkut MC-21 Wins Certification

Russian civil aviation authority Rosaviatsiya has issued type certification for an indigenous engine alternative for the Irkut MC-21 narrowbody known as the PD-14, the countrys Ministry for Industry and Trade announced Thursday. A pair of MC-21 prototypes powered by Pratt & Whitney PW1431G geared turbofans now engage in flight testing, but PD-14 certification marks an important advance for the Kremlin-ordered Import Substitution program, aimed at achieving Russian independence in the commercial aviation domain.

In fact, the PD-14 winning the type certificate means that this engine is ready for delivery and commercial operation, said minister for industry and trade Denis Manturov in a statement. This enables us to assert that the first turbofan engine for commercial jets in the history of modern Russia has successfully been created.

Next, schedules call for the PD-14 program to gain validation with the European Air Safety Agency next year
                                  . Manturov expressed a hope that the MC-21 will soon commence testing with the indigenous powerplant following the planned shipment of three operable engines by the end of this year. The minister insisted that the PD-14 and MC-21 schedules had been synchronized.

Compared with previous-generation Russian commercial turbofans, the PD-14 offers a fuel burn decrease at typical cruise of 15 percent, while featuring a bypass ratio of 8.5:1 as opposed to more commonly achieved ratios of 5:1 or 6:1. Its specifications call for fuel consumption comparable to that of the Pratt & Whitney PW1000G series and CFM Internationals Leap family. Given that, the PD-14 claims its place as the worlds third engine purposely designed and certified for use on next-generation narrowbody jets.

Preliminary studies into a next-generation turbofan began in Russia at the turn of the century. In 2008 Vladimir Putin made the decision to provide state funding for the project. Bench testing began in 2012 and flight trials in 2015 on an Il-76 testbed. Developed under the framework of the federal program dubbed Development of Russian Aviation Industry 2025, the PD-14 program started with a budget of 80 billion roubles ($1.22 billion) covering development and production setup. Perm-based ODK-Aviadvigatel leads the development effort while ODK-Perm Motors performs final assembly line in the city of Perm.

The PD-14 marks the first commercial engine project executed under the umbrella of the United Engine Corporation (Russian acronym ODK), a government-controlled organization formed by the merger of Russian companies involved in powerplants, gearboxes, and other subsystems for applications in commercial and military aviation.

As a result, the government distributed work packages to ODK members to cut development and production preparation cycles. In terms of technology as well, the PD-14 represents a drastic departure from the previous generation PS-90A. Using hollow wide-chord blades for the fan and blisks in the compressor, the newer engine weighs about three tons and develops 14 tons of thrust at takeoff. Engineers designed the baseline engine specifically for the 180-seat MC-21-300, but its derivatives can power both larger and smaller airplanes. The developer announced three versions of the PD-14the PD-14A, PD-14, and PD-14M--featuring the same 1900 millimeter fan diameter. Intended for the 150-seat MC-21-200 shrink variant, the PD-14A produces 11 percent less thrust and resembles the baseline model but with a compressor pressure ratio of 38:1 rather than 41:1 for higher thermal margins. The PD-14M for the Il-96-400M and MC-21-400 develops 12 percent more maximum thrust. It features an additional stage in the compressor, resulting in an increase in pressure ratio to 46:1 and a drop in bypass ratio from 8.5:1 to 7.2:1. The developer also plans a higher-thrust derivative, known as the PD-18, incorporating a geared fan for maximum thrust of 18- to 20 tons; smaller versions designated PD-7 and PD-10 feature a reduced fan diameter for various Sukhoi Superjet variants. Meanwhile, plans call for use of the PD-14s core in the PD-12 turboshaft, and for a larger PD-35 intended to power the Sino-Russian CR929 widebody.
                                  "A map does you no good if you don't know where you are"

Comment

• St. John
                                    Rank 3 Registered User

Paralay - Could it be that the 40N6 looks like this?

https://defense-update.com/20181107_...china2018.html

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                    X