Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RuAF News and development Thread part 15

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 7 (1 members and 6 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MSphere
    • Feb 2010

It would be an utterly obsolete concept today.. no reason to cry over spilled milk..
    But I would love to see the cockpit of that machine..

Comment

• KGB
      KGB
      • Mar 2016

Why MSphere ? I think the swept wing would make a good medium strike jet

Comment

• MSphere
        • Feb 2010

For that they already have Su-34 and Su-30SM.. even Su-35S.. I don't think the S.37 would bring anything decisively new on the table.. But I'll be happy to get corrected if you think otherwise..

Comment

• Levsha
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Jan 2006

But I would love to see the cockpit of that machine..
          I'd imagine the cockpit wouldn't be much more different from any other 1980s Soviet fighter, Flanker instruments I'd imagine? The Su-47 is a demonstrator for aerodynamics and and materials only is it not?

Comment

• MSphere
            • Feb 2010

I guess so.. it obviously doesn't even seem to have a HUD.. but this is a later era aircraft, I guess it could have some CRT displays like MiG-29M or Su-35 once had..

Comment

• JSR
              JSR
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Aug 2011

definition of 6G fighter. Smarter, faster and higher ceiling.
              https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...-idUSKBN19E24H
              Tarasenko said Russia was already working on new aircraft that would be “smarter, faster” and with increased range and a higher top ceiling range.
              “We are working on perspective projects that by some characteristics are ahead of the current perception of aviation,” he said

Comment

• SpudmanWP
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Jan 2009

lol.... Fighter "Generations" have typically had some feature or group of features that delineated & demanded a new number.

Having just "more" of existing features is not a new "Gen", it's just adding a plus sign to the existing one.
                "The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Comment

• MSphere
                  • Feb 2010

Originally posted by SpudmanWP
                  lol.... Fighter "Generations" have typically had some feature or group of features that delineated & demanded a new number.
                  Having just "more" of existing features is not a new "Gen", it's just adding a plus sign to the existing one.
                  What have the current US proposals as a new feature so they dare to call them 6th Gen, then?
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixth-...on_jet_fighter

Comment

• FBW
                    FBW
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Dec 2011

What have the current US proposals as a new feature so they dare to call them 6th Gen, then?
                    The USAF has repeatedly shied away from using that moniker, or even the label "fighter". Perhaps we will get some news on the PCA AoA soon (or not). The USN NGAD program will likely differ from the USAF according to the latest news. Either way, don't expect to hear "6th generation fighter" out of the mouths of any Air Force official.

Considering the slew of contracts, like SHiELD, a good bet would be "LA-SER".

Comment

• Dr.Snufflebug
                      Boggleboople snufflebug
                      • Aug 2012

Ah, nice... Su-35S and Su-27SM3:

The color-matched radome on the latter does look really sleek.

Originally posted by MSphere
                      I guess so.. it obviously doesn't even seem to have a HUD..
                      It had some kind of HUD back when it was still flying, at least:

But my guess is that it's been gutted since. As for the rest of the cockpit, wasn't it just a "legacy" Su-27 they pretty much lifted into place?

The concepts they exhibited elsewhere (as models at fairs etc) were Su-37-like though:

Comparison:
                      Last edited by Dr.Snufflebug; 17th January 2018, 14:46.
                      sigpic

Comment

• SpudmanWP
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Jan 2009

Nothing that I am aware of but FBW is likely correct (lasers or other damaging DEW).

Comment

• Berkut
                          • Nov 2011

From memory - Su-47 had Su-33 HUD.

Comment

• paralay
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Aug 2005

It would be an utterly obsolete concept today.. no reason to cry over spilled milk..
                            I agree. The S-37 was designed as a counterweight to the F-22 and the F / A-18E / F sea fighter. After the appearance of the T-50, they are all hopelessly outdated.

Comment

• Marcellogo
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Jun 2014

@SpudmanWP

Don't get the reason of such a criticism.
                              Let's say, given that the article is Mikoian-Gurevic centered, that they are probably talking about the so called Mig-41 whose they sell as able to fly faster than 4 mach, reach near-mesosphere quotes and being such smarter to need not a pilot anymore.

Now, i didn't know it this would qualify as 6 gen or not in your own but in my book it would be filed under AWESOME the same, regardless of the patch you stick on it, (if they get to do it, obviously).
                              Last edited by Marcellogo; 17th January 2018, 17:46.

Comment

• RALL
                                Rank 4 Registered User
                                • Aug 2017

Originally posted by paralay
                                I agree. The S-37 was designed as a counterweight to the F-22 and the F / A-18E / F sea fighter. After the appearance of the T-50, they are all hopelessly outdated.
                                I do not understand, are you telling us that the F-22 is outdated comparing with Su-57?

i think i understood bad....

Comment

• Marcellogo
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • Jun 2014

@Paralay

For what i know, the S-37 was not intended as the fulfillment of a precise operational requisite but as a technology demonstrator, not just about wings but about advanced fly-by-wire, TVC (on a Soloviev D-30...), bombs bay, rear looking radar and so on...
                                  So some has been reversed on the Pak-Fa programme but other has just found a practical application in others model (SR-10 included).

Comment

• TR1
                                    TR1
                                    http://tiny.cc/tp8kd
                                    • Oct 2010

Nice- Il-112Vs :

sigpic

Comment

• KGB
                                      KGB
                                      • Mar 2016

F-22 is outdated comparing with Su-57?
                                      yep

Comment

• SpudmanWP
                                        Rank 5 Registered User
                                        • Jan 2009

Mach 4, "near" 160k feet, and pilot-less?

Comment

• Marcellogo
                                          Rank 5 Registered User
                                          • Jun 2014

Yes, believe it or not is that is what they would try to get with the Mig-41 program.
                                          The pilot-less thing is something that is envisaged for future Su-57 version also, so if I can understand your skepticism (that I partially share) about the concrete feasibility of such requirements, I didn't understand why you look so surprised by something that was put out by almost a decade.
                                          Almost they have a clear objective and are putting forth a path to get where they want to go while on the other side of Atlantic they have neither a beginning of a preliminary idea about what they want to achieve.
                                          So let's talk about what will be or not the 6 gen when they would get the fog out of their heads, ok?
                                          Last edited by Marcellogo; 17th January 2018, 22:27.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X