Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SAAB Gripen and Gripen NG thread #4

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Diupa
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Jan 2014

First Brazilian Gripen E Completes its First Flight

First Brazilian Gripen E Completes its First Flight

Saab today completed a successful first flight with the first Brazilian Gripen E fighter aircraft, 39-6001. At 2.41 pm CET on August 26, the Gripen E aircraft took off on its maiden flight flown by Saab test pilot Richard Ljungberg. The aircraft operated from Saabs airfield in Linkping, Sweden.

The duration of the flight was 65 minutes and included test points to verify basic handling and flying qualities at different altitudes and speeds. The main purpose was to verify that the aircraft behavior was according to expectations.

This milestone is a testament to the great partnership between Sweden and Brazil. Less than five years since the contract was signed, the first Brazil Gripen has conducted her first flight, says Hkan Buskhe, President and CEO of Saab.

This aircraft is the first Brazilian production aircraft and will be used in the joint test program as a test aircraft. The main differences compared to the previous test aircraft are that 39-6001 has a totally new cockpit layout, with a large Wide Area Display (WAD), two small Head Down Displays (sHDD) and a new Head Up Display (HUD). Another major difference is an updated flight control system with updated control laws for Gripen E. It also includes modifications both in hardware and software.

For me as a pilot it has been a great honour to fly the first Brazilian Gripen E aircraft as I know how much this means for the Brazilian Air Force and everyone at Saab and our Brazilian partners. The flight was smooth and the aircraft behaved just as we have seen in the rigs and simulators. This was also the first time we flew with the Wide Area Display in the cockpit, and I am happy to say that my expectations were confirmed, says Saab test pilot Richard Ljungberg.

39-6001 will now join the test programme for further envelope expansion as well as testing of tactical system and sensors.

39-6001 will be designated F-39 in the Brazilian Air Force and will have the tail number 4100.

https://saabgroup.com/media/news-pre...-first-flight/

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02n1J9VC-_k

Comment

• Sintra
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Aug 2007

That's a beauty
      sigpic

Comment

• Spitfire9
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Jul 2008

Saab Presents First Gripen E to Brazil

https://www.defense-aerospace.com/ar...to-brazil.html

I wonder how it will get to Brazil. Sweden is a long way from Brazil.
        Sum ergo cogito

Comment

• eagle
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Jan 2000

Fly there? It's not like the Gripen can't cross the Atlantic...
          How can less be more? It's impossible. More is more.
          Yngwie Malmsteen

Comment

• Spitfire9
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by eagle View Post
            Fly there? It's not like the Gripen can't cross the Atlantic...
            Well I agree it can fly across the Atlantic (quoted ferry range of 4000Km) but it can't do Sweden-Brazil without refuelling, so I wondered what route it would take.

Sum ergo cogito

Comment

• eagle
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Jan 2000

Click image for larger version  Name:	150626-F-YG608-010.JPG Views:	0 Size:	159.1 KB ID:	3873296

The first F-39 will perform flight tests in Sweden until the end of 2020, then continue flight tests in Brazil.
              If I had to guess, I'd say AAR certification of the E model will be part of the flight tests before going to Brazil.
              Probably still going to include 1 or 2 stops... maybe Gando air base (Gran Canaria/Spain).
              Last edited by eagle; 12th September 2019, 18:38.
              Yngwie Malmsteen

Comment

• stealthflanker
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Sep 2015

Does it really need to fly all the way ? Why can't just ship it or load it into some AN-124's ?

Comment

• Pants
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • May 2017

Originally posted by stealthflanker View Post
                  Does it really need to fly all the way ? Why can't just ship it or load it into some AN-124's ?
                  Sounds like a lot of work compared to just flying it it there. Gripens take part in Red Flag so it's not unusual for them to cross the atlantic.

Comment

• Spitfire9
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Pants View Post

Sounds like a lot of work compared to just flying it it there. Gripens take part in Red Flag so it's not unusual for them to cross the atlantic.
                    Does USAF refuel them mid-Atlantic because they are attending an exercise in USA or do they go via (I guess) Iceland?
                    Sum ergo cogito

Comment

• eagle
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Jan 2000

Even with air to air refuelling, they had a few stops along the way:
                      This year's exercise provided the first opportunity for Gripens to use tankers during Red Flag, and was also the first time the Swedish aircraft had deployed to and from the USA with air-to-air refuelling support, in the form of two USAF KC-10s. This meant the number of required and planned stops could be reduced from six or seven landings used on earlier deployments, to only three.
                      That was in 2013, and they stopped at Lajes. In earlier Red Flags, AAR wasn't possible and they needed six or seven stops. From here.
                      Yngwie Malmsteen

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                      X