Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SAAB Gripen and Gripen NG thread #4

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maurobaggio
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Loke View Post
    Oops... thanks yes I see now that I made a mistake in the conversion... No more Italian pizza for me tonight.
    I do not understand this concern on the value in US dollars for possible contract with Gripen, once it has been approved the budget in Bulgaria it has not been in US dollars, as well as the amount that could have been received with this deal will depend on the Bulgaria's currency on the day of signing such possible contract.

Just it had occurred in the case of Brazil, since the SEK should be the currency used as reference in the budget of Brazil. In this case it had appreciated against the dollar, then the contract of the 36 Gripen E/F from US$ 4.5 billion since 2009 were increased at the US$ 5.4 billion in 2014, and returned again to the value of US$ 4.5 billion because the SEK currency has been depreciated against the dollar.

To avoid confusion just it happened with those 36 Gripen E/F from Brazil, instead of using the dollar as a reference, my suggestion is to keep the value of currency from country budget.

Comment

• JakobS
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Aug 2015

With some pretty competent Su-30MKM for air superiority I really don't see the need for either the Rafale or the Typhoon in Malaysia. After all those jets costs a lot more than what a Gripen will do. I think the winner will depend on who provides the most beneficial financing package rather than the jets themselves.

Comment

• Ozair
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Oct 2015

Originally posted by JakobS View Post
        With some pretty competent Su-30MKM for air superiority I really don't see the need for either the Rafale or the Typhoon in Malaysia. After all those jets costs a lot more than what a Gripen will do. I think the winner will depend on who provides the most beneficial financing package rather than the jets themselves.
        Malaysia has a strong history of buying for political reasons, hence the reason their fleet was/is in the mess it is. If Malaysia follows this pattern, we will see a Euro/US jet replace the MiG-29s and F/A-18s and the loser of that win the contract to replace the Hawk with payments in palm oil where possible...

Comment

• MSphere
          • Feb 2010

My best bet:

Today's fleet - Su-30MKM, MiG-29N, F/A-18D, Hawk Mk108/208, MB339CM
          Future fleet - Su-30MKM (Super-30), Rafale, M-346

Comment

• Y-20 Bacon
            • Apr 2013

Originally posted by MSphere View Post
            My best bet:

Today's fleet - Su-30MKM, MiG-29N, F/A-18D, Hawk Mk108/208, MB339CM
            Future fleet - Su-30MKM (Super-30), Rafale, M-346
            this makes a lot of sense. its also a set up India will use, giving the Malaysians some commonality with another operator of both.

but the Malaysians also don't make sense. They'll probably say. M-346 is used by Singapore and Israel, ew.
            maybe they'll go Yak-130, T-50 or whatever the US decides on for TX. I don't think they'll choose a US type for a major fighter, but probably willing to settle if its a trainer.

Comment

• Loke
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Jun 2008

Air Chief Marshal Arup Raha will embark on a five-day visit to Sweden, starting tomorrow, to take the existing defence cooperation between the armed forces of the two countries to the next level.
              The CAS will also be visiting a flying base of the Swedish Air Force and the production facilities of SAAB, Swedish aerospace and defence company, at Linkoping where Gripen aircraft are manufactured.
              Read more: http://www.business-standard.com/art...0601181_1.html

Interesting -- seems that Saab may still be a contender in India?

Comment

• The_5aab_God
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Halo View Post
                So Saab over engineered the structure on the prototype?

Would be strange if they started with a structure on the weak side and hope that strength / vibrations "would be ok".

Generally speaking if you are not discovering cracks through testing, the aircraft is "over engineered" (read heavier than it needs to be, and every pound counts --especially on a light fighter) or the crack testing is wrong. Either is not good. I don't think its typical to over engineer the aircraft you are testing and then removing structure later (happy to be proven wrong)

Engineering is designing things you think "will be ok" given the parameters you are working on, and in the case of aircraft keeping them as lightweight and cheap as possible. Thats where mathematics, modeling, experience, education etc come into play

Comment

• obligatory
                  • Oct 2008

you havnt got a clue what you are talking about 'saab god'

Comment

• The_5aab_God
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by obligatory View Post
                    you havnt got a clue what you are talking about 'saab god'
                    I'll pass it on to the engineer I asked. Thanks

Comment

• MadRat
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Aug 2006

That was a rather rude, repugnant, and uncouth reply, obligatory. I really expect better.
                      Go Huskers!

Comment

• Loke
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Jun 2008

The Botswana Defence Force (BDF) Commander Lt General Gaolathe Galebotswe this week confirmed that his organisation has interest in procuring new fighter jets to replace an aging fleet of their F5s.

Among the type of fighter jets the BDF is interested in is the Swedish made Gripen, which the army is said to have recently developed interest in procuring.
                        Full story: http://www.botswanaguardian.co.bw/ne...hter-jets.html

Comment

• JohLin
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Apr 2014

Flying lesson on a Saab JAS 39D Gripen jetfighter – cockpit video - Nyheterna (TV4) - Swedish speech, but subtitled in English.
                          TV4 News Sweden correspondent Stefan Borg in an exclusive flying lesson on the Swedish jetfighter Saab JAS 39D Gripen with Saab test pilot Marcus Wandt.
                          https://youtu.be/dNm92-6nrfY

Comment

• BlackArcher
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Dec 2010

IAF Chief Arup Raha on Sweden visit- flies Gripen D

Comment

• Loke
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Jun 2008

GABORONE, Botswana — The Botswana Defence Force (BDF) has confirmed negotiations with Swedish aircraft manufacturer Frsvarets Materielverk (FMV) are underway for the acquisition of between eight and 12 JAS Gripen "C" and "D" aircraft variants to replace its ageing fleet of US-made F-5 fighter jets.
                              Full story: http://www.defensenews.com/story/def...ment/85939750/

Comment

• Loke
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Jun 2008

Stating that Saab plans to design, produce, support & innovate under PM Narendra Modis Make in India initiative for defence, the Swedish companys India country head and Chairman Jan Widerstrm told FE Online that the Saab India is eyeing deals worth multi-billion dollars.
                                Saab highlighted key features of its new Gripen E fighter aircraft, which was recently unveiled in Sweden. The defence major is offering to make the latest version of Gripen, the Gripen E, in India.
                                Full story: http://www.financialexpress.com/arti...arkets/285858/

Comment

• Loke
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • Jun 2008

Days after RBI chief Rajan steps down, India eases foreign investment rules
                                  Saab, the Swedish defence and aerospace company that recently re-pitched its Gripen fighter jet to the Indian Air Force, welcomed the announcement.

"We think this is a very good move and this decision by the government only encourages us to start our business in India," said Robert Hewson, Saab's Asia-Pacific head of communications.
                                  Full story: http://in.reuters.com/article/india-fdi-idINKCN0Z60TB

Comment

• Loke
                                    Rank 5 Registered User
                                    • Jun 2008

The Botswana Defence Force (BDF) Airwing will be acquiring eight Swedish Gripen fighter jets according to the Business Weekly and Review.
                                    Full story: http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.ph...ace&Itemid=107

Comment

• Loke
                                      Rank 5 Registered User
                                      • Jun 2008

Gripen backlog larger than Typhoon's by early next year:

https://twitter.com/GripenNews/statu...84901813542912

Comment

• Ozair
                                        Rank 5 Registered User
                                        • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Loke View Post
                                        Gripen backlog larger than Typhoon's by early next year:

https://twitter.com/GripenNews/statu...84901813542912
                                        Somewhat cheeky. Perhaps Airbus should tweet the current numbers for manufactured airframes...

Comment

• toan
                                          Rank 5 Registered User
                                          • Jul 2008

The total order for Eurofighter now is 599, and the 478th productional Typhoon has been dilivered this month.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X