Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SAAB Gripen and Gripen NG thread #4

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Halo
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Apr 2009

More "paper bragging", SAAB will have a lot of thins to answer to, however I do Believe that they will manage to deliver too.

Quots from article,
    "possibilities to reduce weight"
    "simulators to reduce test flight program by 2/3", I guess using the old wing design of the Gripen C will also help in this

Source in Swedish
    http://www.nyteknik.se/fordon/nya-gr...ulator-6576208

Comment

• Loke
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Jun 2008

Originally posted by JBr View Post
      Here's a more precise translation of the quoted part of the article:

"Every aircraft has strong and weak points that we have to use to our advantage in dogfight," tells one of the Czech fighter pilots and adds: "We have our own battle tactics and we choose the best one based on the specifications of the oponent's aircraft." Apart from high maneuverability, the other advantage of JAS 39 is its size. "The aircraft is noticeably smaller when compared to other 4th generation fighters, that's why the oponent usually spots us later than we spot him. Another advantage is a very powerful radar allowing target detection on long distance. Based on the results so far, the radar in combination with jammer causes considerable problems to other aircraft," experienced pilot from Čslav praises [the aircraft].
      Thanks! Your translation is way better than Google's

Comment

• Loke
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Jun 2008

At Linkoping on May 19, as the Gripen E was rolled out by Sweden’s Saab, the national flavour in the air was undoubtedly Brazilian. Brazil had the largest number of journalists, officials and military at the ceremony, the country’s flag colours were first to adorn the newly unveiled Gripen Echo after the Swedish blue-yellow. The chunky $4.7 billion deal Saab bagged last year with Brazil to supply 36 new generation Gripens to the Brazilian Air Force still electrifies this Swedish city that builds the jet. Brazil has bet big on the Gripen, harvesting a local build program and a complex production and development sharing arrangement with Sweden. But beyond the Brazilian frisson that still clings like static to everything in Linkoping this season, there are bigger things in Saab’s forward plan. That, without a doubt, is India.
        Full story: http://www.livefistdefence.com/2016/...dia-again.html

Interesting...!

Comment

• Loke
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Jun 2008

Negotiations with Slovakia are expected to be completed by mid-June:

http://www.teraz.sk/ekonomika/p-gajd...57-clanok.html

Comment

• obligatory
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Loke View Post
            i like the song of this:
            "The message is clear: the GaN AESA radar is available to India should it choose to partner with Saab."
            sweden and brazil is left out, but india gets the best money can buy

Comment

• Loke
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Jun 2008

On May 18, Saab unveiled the latest version of its Gripen multirole fighter aircraft. The JAS-39E Gripen is a stockier, beefed up version, with a new engine, the General Electric F414, as well as capacity for 40% more fuel (thanks to a redesigned central fuselage) and additional weapon pylons. The company has also put significant emphasis on data fusion with information from a new active, electronically scanned array (AESA) radar, infrared search and track, electronic warfare systems and more advanced data links, building on the systems Saab has designed.
              At first glance, the E version looks like just another Gripen, but the broader wing roots betray the types ability to carry more fuel. Two additional belly-mounted pylons expand its weapon load, while faceted wingtip pods enable an enhanced electronic warfare capability.
              Read more: http://aviationweek.com/defense/saab...images-1457021

I am very curious about the data fusion on Gripen E however most likely it will take quite some time until specific info on the enhanced sensor fusion capabilities will be released.

Comment

• JSR
                JSR
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Halo View Post
                More "paper bragging", SAAB will have a lot of thins to answer to, however I do Believe that they will manage to deliver too.

Quots from article,
                "simulators to reduce test flight program by 2/3", I guess using the old wing design of the Gripen C will also help in this

Source in Swedish
                http://www.nyteknik.se/fordon/nya-gr...ulator-6576208
                Well I will not go all the way and predict that Scandinavian countries will go the way of Mexico/Poland where some big countries control there firms/ labor but there is significant risk in next 10 years that there will be far less technical and financial ability left to be continue competitive in fighter market.
                how many new fighter with newer EW pods per year Sweden is building now and how many new Meteor per year the are buying.

Comment

• PhantomII
                  Phantoms Phorever
                  • Jan 2000

I thought the use of all of the three primary fuselage hardpoints (not counting the one for recce/targeting pods) for AAMs was interesting. I think the JAS-39 is an excellent airplane, and I hope to see it continue to do well on the export market. I look forward to the day I get to see one in person for the first time.
                  Fox-4!

Comment

• TomcatViP
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Nov 2011

And that they didn't even bother in 10 years of design to come around a stealth weapon pods* for their launch customer does not annoy you? I wonder what for Saab was renown lately?**

...in other words, the GripE is so far the latest 4.0 Gen fighter. What an achievement!

As written earlier, should we stand ready for the rollout next year of the TunnanNG?

*or even semi recessed missile carriage
                    ** But let me guess, we are dealing here with active cancelation...
                    Last edited by TomcatViP; 25th May 2016, 18:37.

Comment

• TomcatViP
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Nov 2011

Noticed today in the news:

Helgesson says challenges include deciding how to prepare pilots to operate the service’s future fleet of Gripen E fighters, as it will not acquire any two-seat trainer examples of the type.
                      or
                      Meanwhile, the air force’s fleet of eight aged Lockheed Martin C-130H tactical transports – including a tanker – are being put through a service life-extension programme which is expected to conclude by 2021. This will enable the service to continue operating the aircraft until 2030, Helgesson says. Flightglobal’s Fleets Analyzer database records the Swedish airframes as being between 35 and 51 years old, with six in operational use.
                      How do you call in Swedish a 2b$ E-fantasy?

Source:
                      FlightGlobal.com
                      Last edited by TomcatViP; 25th May 2016, 20:08.

Comment

• mrmalaya
                        Generation 4.75+++
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by TomcatViP View Post
                        And that they didn't even bother in 10 years of design to come around a stealth weapon pods* for their launch customer does not annoy you? I wonder what for Saab was renown lately?**

...in other words, the GripE is so far the latest 4.0 Gen fighter. What an achievement!

As written earlier, should we stand ready for the rollout next year of the TunnanNG?

There is a large piece by Tim Robinson of the RAS:

http://aerosociety.com/News/Insight-...t-the-Gripen-E

SAAB are looking at unmanned Gripen and what comes after Gripen in terms of fighter production.

I am inclined to agree with you though. This aircraft makes the Gripen attractive for export and much more effective for the Swedes, but beyond 2030....?

Comment

• Spitfire9
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by JSR View Post
                          The problem with swedes is there bragging on paper. I will send this swedes to Syria first. Plus they don't own factory of Meteor . There missile can practically outdated. This Gripen NG is decade away from service.
                          It is true that SAAB don't make the Meteor. How is that a problem?

EIS 2026... I wonder what you've been smoking today.
                          Sum ergo cogito

Comment

• snafu352
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by JBr View Post
                            ...,"... the radar in combination with jammer causes considerable problems to other aircraft," ....
                            The above is most interesting. Won't please the shaped stealth disciples though!

Must remember; the only way is shaped stealth, the only solution is shaped stealth; there are no other answers other than shaped stealth.

(Hopefully they'll only see that bit and not get upset about the factual bit!)
                            The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
                            Bertrand Russell

Comment

• The_5aab_God
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by snafu352 View Post
                              The above is most interesting. Won't please the shaped stealth disciples though!

Must remember; the only way is shaped stealth, the only solution is shaped stealth; there are no other answers other than shaped stealth.

(Hopefully they'll only see that bit and not get upset about the factual bit!)
                              I'm sure they won't get upset about how legacy Gripens use jamming and radar

Factually the "Shaped Stealth" aircraft have radar and jammers too, and the equivalent to the Gripen E/F the F-18E/F has shaping built in. Pretty interesting to see an aircraft that will see service starting this deep into the 21st century that won't have "shaped stealth" but don't tell that to all the countries that are pursuing shaped stealth, including Russia.

The radar and jamming had better work

clearly a "shaped stealth disciple"

All the growler bubbas say you need a guy in back to direct all the 'trons too, obviously a smaller work load compared to the prowler, but still a 2 man job. What are the expectations exactly of the Gripen Jammers? how automated will the jamming be? Growler is at the top of the food chain for jamm right? And DOT&E says it is "operationally limited in high threat environments"
                              Last edited by The_5aab_God; 29th May 2016, 19:48.

Comment

• The_5aab_God
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Loke View Post
                                Read more: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...d-grip-425546/

EDIT:

S-400 and PAK FA.... those Swedes are very confident in the Gripen E capabilities!
                                If it can't handle those things, they have real trouble on their hands.

Comment

• The_5aab_God
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Halo View Post

Quots from article,
                                  possible, though not likely. typically aircraft get heavier as they age...

You know who else was going to use simulators to cut down on cost and time?

Comment

• TomcatViP
                                    Rank 5 Registered User
                                    • Nov 2011

Originally posted by The_5aab_God View Post

clearly a "shaped stealth disciple"
                                    My ex would have say "Donuts shaped"... Dohooo

Sorry didn't read you clearly

Comment

• The_5aab_God
                                      Rank 5 Registered User
                                      • Mar 2015

My ex would have say "Donuts shaped"... Dohooo

Sorry didn't read you clearly

Ha!

You bring up points that are making this look like Malibu Stacy in a new hat.

Regarding India and GaN radar, sweetman Made it sound like that was already built into gripen NG. I didn't realize that was a future feature.

Comment

• Halo
                                        Rank 5 Registered User
                                        • Apr 2009

@The:5aab_God, well, you are mixing 2 things, one is setting the structure, this usually brings weight loss and the other is more avionics and requirements that add weight LATER.

Comment

• MSphere
                                          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by The_5aab_God View Post
                                          If it can't handle those things, they have real trouble on their hands.
                                          Why would they ever need to deal with S-400?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X