Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Military Aviation News

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 5 (1 members and 4 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vans
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Oct 2015

^ 3 million is not a large price difference. 5 a little bit, but not a biggie. They should consider the FA-50 simply due to long term stability over engine support and supplies. Although both the Tejas and Thunder are more likely to be integrated with a greater variety of weapons. Out of curiosity, which of these three has the best range? since Malaysia is vast

Comment

• Spitfire9
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by TomcatViP View Post

The JF-17 costs $25 million per unit, and the Tejas and the FA-50 cost approximately $28 million and $30 million respectively. An order of 36 JF-17 fighters would mean a very substantial amount will be saved, Ho said.
      You would have to like gambling to choose an aircraft made by a manufacturer that has no track record in terms of delivering either more or less to spec or more or less on time. Don't know if JF-17 can be accused of that. Nor FA-50.

In my experience you avoid exporting until you have got things sorted in terms of adequately (at least) supplying your own market. Doing otherwise is foolhardy: you risk seriously damaging your brand credibility, losing an awful lot of money, possibly cursing your product irredeemably and setting your company's export prospects back by many. many years. In any case where India is concerned, anything more than token export numbers of LCA would serve to aggravate the shortfall in LCA supply to the local market, so why offer rare goods elsewhere?

Message is this: until you've got it more or less right at home, don't even think of inflicting your deficiencies on others, especially if it aggravates the problems your failings have already caused where your own market is concerned.

Sorry, but I just think a little bit of reality is not such an appalling thing.
      Sum ergo cogito

Comment

• djcross
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Jan 2000

Tango III, thank you for taking the time to bring news links to the forum. I appreciate your efforts.

Comment

• pesko
          Rank 4 Registered User
          • Nov 2017

Originally posted by SpudmanWP View Post
          For the love of God.. check your National Interest articles because they re-post a lot of old news as if it's current.

Better yet, stop post National Interest "news".

Just so you are aware, "lightning" issues for the F-35 were solved a LONG time ago.
          I know that anything less than unconditional praise for the F-35 is triggering to you, but I think a lot of readers of the forum appreciate Tango's links and can make up their own minds regarding the credibility of the articles.
          Last edited by pesko; 22nd February 2019, 10:22.

Comment

• Mags76
            Rank 2 Registered User
            • Jan 2019

Originally posted by pesko View Post

I know that anything less than unconditional praise for the F-35 is triggering to you, but I think a lot of readers of the forum appreciate Tango's links and can make up their own minds regarding the credibility of the articles.
            As well as the technical merits of each aircraft I feel politics will play a big role in this. Any choice will obviously send a message of where Malaysia sees herself aligned. As such a FA-50 or Tejas purchase could be construed as going up against China whilst a JF-17 would be seen as possible a pro China move by Malaysia.

FA-50 and JF-17 also have the benefits of being in widespread use by their own air forces and also successfully exported. FA-50 would have some commonality with F-18 weapons and tech, yet unsure how keen Malaysia would be buying a plane used by most of it's neighbours too. On a side note Mahthir Bin Mohmmed is chief guest at Pakistan Day Parade which will see lots of JF-17 action....

Comment

• a89
              a89
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Sep 2011

3 million is not a large price difference. 5 a little bit, but not a biggie. They should consider the FA-50 simply due to long term stability over engine support and supplies. Although both the Tejas and Thunder are more likely to be integrated with a greater variety of weapons. Out of curiosity, which of these three has the best range? since Malaysia is vast

Other factors should also be taken into account when determining the cost. The life of the JF-17 is 3,000 hours, and the engine needs an overhaul every 600 hours (data from 2013). I am not sure about FA-50 but should be higher.

History and Military Technology blog

alejandro-8en.blogspot.com

Comment

• Yama
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Feb 2012

Wasn't Malaysia unhappy with high Israeli content in Tejas? FA-50 has nearly as much Israeli stuff.

Supposedly JF-17 Block III will have longer service life.

Comment

• swerve
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Jun 2005

The FA-50 has an Elta radar, IIRC - the EL/M-2032. I doubt if it'd be worth integrating a different, non-Israeli radar just for Malaysia, but if it opened up the market for selling the FA-50 to other Muslim countries it might be worth KAI doing it. It's interesting to consider what other radars might be suitable.
                  Juris praecepta sunt haec: honeste vivere, alterum non laedere, suum cuique tribuere.
                  Justinian

Comment

• Tango III
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Sep 2006

Do not forget Iraq, the first Arab and Muslim country have and used the Korean aircraft T-50, but there are a fog in the information about what radar used in the aircraft and of course avioelectronics.

Last edited by Tango III; 22nd February 2019, 22:59.

Comment

• Jackonicko
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Nov 2004

Welcome back Tango! I'm among many who value your contribution. Thank you.

Comment

• Tango III
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Sep 2006

I'm still in the forum but there is no debate.
                        No news is good news:

Thank you all for the words of thanks and appreciation.

I think the time has come to leave this duty, there is definitely someone or more who can complete it if you think it is necessary. And for some to feel clam, comfortable and peaceful in this forum . Thanks again for all you.

Comment

• FBW
                          FBW
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Dec 2011

Thanks again Tango. Good work over the years, 25k posts!

on an unrelated note, anyone know if its still possible to add posters to ignore anymore so you cant see their posts?
                          Last edited by FBW; 23rd February 2019, 18:21.

Comment

• Spitfire9
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Jackonicko View Post
                            Welcome back Tango! I'm among many who value your contribution. Thank you.
                            So am I. Pse keep the news coming, Tango.
                            Sum ergo cogito

Comment

• Vans
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Oct 2015

it's unfortunate that we now no longer have a good source for various news simply because Spudman got overly sensitive

Comment

• TomcatViP
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Nov 2011

Tata and Lockheed Martin joint venture in India - TLMAL - delivers 100th empennage for the Super Hercules

TLMAL a joint venture between Tata Advanced Systems Limited and Lockheed Martin Aeronautics was established in 2010 in Hyderabad. TLMAL exemplifies the Make in India goals and has the distinction of being the single global source of C-130J empennage assemblies that are installed on all new Super Hercules aircraft produced in Marietta, Georgia, in the United States.

Empennage assemblies produced by TLMAL include the aircrafts horizontal and vertical stabilizers along with leading edges and tip assemblies. The TLMAL team also previously manufactured sets of C-130J center wing box components, and introduced a new cutting-edge 4,700 square-meter metal-to-metal bonding facility in May 2018. TLMAL currently employs 500 people.
                                Source:
                                AeroTech News.com

Comment

• Flexible
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • Nov 2013

Turkey to get first S-400 delivery in juli.
                                  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...readies-s-400s

Comment

• Levsha
                                    Rank 5 Registered User
                                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Vans View Post
                                    it's unfortunate that we now no longer have a good source for various news simply because Spudman got overly sensitive
                                    Spudman never asked Tango to leave?

Comment

Originally posted by pesko View Post

Getting old having "debunked" old stories that had no merit in the first place. Which, is not to say we don't appreciate Tango's links. Just in this case we expected more of him..........

Comment

Originally posted by Vans View Post
                                        I think you have the wrong person on who was overly sensitive....

Comment

• ananda
                                          Rank 5 Registered User
                                          • Oct 2010

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2019...t-competition/

Analysist on who has better chances being choosen by Malaysia from three contenders (JF-17, Tejas, FA-50) for Light Fighter (replacing Hawk 200).

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X