Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Military Aviation News

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 7 (1 members and 6 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hopsalot
    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Spitfire9 View Post
    Artists are creative. Arms manufacturers are largely destructive, intent on devising means to destroy what humanity has built or created. Arms manufacturers might be creative in seeking to come up with ways and tools to destroy things but never let them liken themselves to the creative geniuses of the last 1000 years. I find the choice of 'Leonardo' as a brand name pretentious, very inappropriate and in extremely bad taste. But then who ever said marketing people suffered from taste?

"Most Illustrious Lord, Having now sufficiently considered the specimens of all those who proclaim themselves skilled contrivers of instruments of war, and that the invention and operation of the said instruments are nothing different from those in common use: I shall endeavor, without prejudice to any one else, to explain myself to your Excellency, showing your Lordship my secret, and then offering them to your best pleasure and approbation to work with effect at opportune moments on all those things which, in part, shall be briefly noted below.

I have a sort of extremely light and strong bridges, adapted to be most easily carried, and with them you may pursue, and at any time flee from the enemy; and others, secure and indestructible by fire and battle, easy and convenient to lift and place. Also methods of burning and destroying those of the enemy.
    I know how, when a place is besieged, to take the water out of the trenches, and make endless variety of bridges, and covered ways and ladders, and other machines pertaining to such expeditions.
    If, by reason of the height of the banks, or the strength of the place and its position, it is impossible, when besieging a place, to avail oneself of the plan of bombardment, I have methods for destroying every rock or other fortress, even if it were founded on a rock, etc.
    Again, I have kinds of mortars; most convenient and easy to carry; and with these I can fling small stones almost resembling a storm; and with the smoke of these cause great terror to the enemy, to his great detriment and confusion.
    And if the fight should be at sea I have kinds of many machines most efficient for offense and defense; and vessels which will resist the attack of the largest guns and powder and fumes.
    I have means by secret and tortuous mines and ways, made without noise, to reach a designated spot, even if it were needed to pass under a trench or a river.
    I will make covered chariots, safe and unattackable, which, entering among the enemy with their artillery, there is no body of men so great but they would break them. And behind these, infantry could follow quite unhurt and without any hindrance.
    In case of need I will make big guns, mortars, and light ordnance of fine and useful forms, out of the common type.
    Where the operation of bombardment might fail, I would contrive catapults, mangonels, trabocchi, and other machines of marvelous efficacy and not in common use. And in short, according to the variety of cases, I can contrive various and endless means of offense and defense.
    In times of peace I believe I can give perfect satisfaction and to the equal of any other in architecture and the composition of buildings public and private; and in guiding water from one place to another.
    I can carry out sculpture in marble, bronze, or clay, and also I can do in painting whatever may be done, as well as any other, be he who he may.

Again, the bronze horse may be taken in hand, which is to be to the immortal glory and eternal honor of the prince your father of happy memory, and of the illustrious house of Sforza.

And if any of the above-named things seem to anyone to be impossible or not feasible, I am most ready to make the experiment in your park, or in whatever place may please your Excellency - to whom I comment myself with the utmost humility, etc. - Leonardo da Vinci, 1482"
    http://www.theladders.com/career-new...a-vinci-resume

Comment

• Spitfire9
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Jul 2008

Indian Navy Retires Sea Harriers

http://www.defensenews.com/story/def...iers/82070296/
      Sum ergo cogito

Comment

• Tango III
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Sep 2006

What’s Left on the Air Force Checklist To Make F-35s Operational?

Comment

• Spitfire9
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by hopsalot View Post

"Most Illustrious Lord, Having now sufficiently considered the specimens of all those who proclaim themselves skilled contrivers of instruments of war, and that the invention and operation of the said instruments are nothing different from those in common use: I shall endeavor, without prejudice to any one else, to explain myself to your Excellency, showing your Lordship my secret, and then offering them to your best pleasure and approbation to work with effect at opportune moments on all those things which, in part, shall be briefly noted below.

I have a sort of extremely light and strong bridges, adapted to be most easily carried, and with them you may pursue, and at any time flee from the enemy; and others, secure and indestructible by fire and battle, easy and convenient to lift and place. Also methods of burning and destroying those of the enemy.
          I know how, when a place is besieged, to take the water out of the trenches, and make endless variety of bridges, and covered ways and ladders, and other machines pertaining to such expeditions.
          If, by reason of the height of the banks, or the strength of the place and its position, it is impossible, when besieging a place, to avail oneself of the plan of bombardment, I have methods for destroying every rock or other fortress, even if it were founded on a rock, etc.
          Again, I have kinds of mortars; most convenient and easy to carry; and with these I can fling small stones almost resembling a storm; and with the smoke of these cause great terror to the enemy, to his great detriment and confusion.
          And if the fight should be at sea I have kinds of many machines most efficient for offense and defense; and vessels which will resist the attack of the largest guns and powder and fumes.
          I have means by secret and tortuous mines and ways, made without noise, to reach a designated spot, even if it were needed to pass under a trench or a river.
          I will make covered chariots, safe and unattackable, which, entering among the enemy with their artillery, there is no body of men so great but they would break them. And behind these, infantry could follow quite unhurt and without any hindrance.
          In case of need I will make big guns, mortars, and light ordnance of fine and useful forms, out of the common type.
          Where the operation of bombardment might fail, I would contrive catapults, mangonels, trabocchi, and other machines of marvelous efficacy and not in common use. And in short, according to the variety of cases, I can contrive various and endless means of offense and defense.
          In times of peace I believe I can give perfect satisfaction and to the equal of any other in architecture and the composition of buildings public and private; and in guiding water from one place to another.
          I can carry out sculpture in marble, bronze, or clay, and also I can do in painting whatever may be done, as well as any other, be he who he may.

Again, the bronze horse may be taken in hand, which is to be to the immortal glory and eternal honor of the prince your father of happy memory, and of the illustrious house of Sforza.

And if any of the above-named things seem to anyone to be impossible or not feasible, I am most ready to make the experiment in your park, or in whatever place may please your Excellency - to whom I comment myself with the utmost humility, etc. - Leonardo da Vinci, 1482"
          Didn't know that about da Vinci. OK, Leonardo IS an appropriate name for a company involved in the production of military goods.
          Sum ergo cogito

Comment

• Spitfire9
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Jul 2008

Air Force Delays T-X Solicitation; FOC Shifts Two Years

http://www.defensenews.com/story/def...ears/82081916/
            Sum ergo cogito

Comment

• hopsalot
              • Aug 2012

Didn't know that about da Vinci. OK, Leonardo IS an appropriate name for a company involved in the production of military goods.
              He was a talented guy.

Comment

• BlackArcher
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Dec 2010

Algeria to get dual control Mi-28NE Nigh Hunter helicopters

Comment

• Tango III
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Sep 2006

Italian Air Force Doubles M-346 Fleet to 18

Comment

• TomcatViP
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Nov 2011

New U.S. military bases near the South China Sea

Antonio Bautista Air Base, on the island of Palawan, is a few dozen miles east of the disputed Spratly Islands, where China’s military buildup is underway. Basa Air Base is also near the South China Sea, and is in a rural area outside Manila. Bautista Air Base is the closest installation the Philippines has to the Spratlys, according to Philippine air force. Other bases were considered, according to Philippine media reports, but ultimately not included in the agreement.
                    Source:
                    the Washington Post

Comment

• Tango III
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Sep 2006

Can Argentina's industry be revived?

Comment

• Tango III
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Sep 2006

India, Pakistan and the Future of the Lethal F-16

Comment

• TomcatViP
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Nov 2011

Nine more Aermacchi M-346 advanced jet trainers for Italy

Italy has placed a follow-on order worth 300 million ($336 million) for an additional nine Aermacchi M-346 advanced jet trainers.
                          [...]
                          The contract also includes logistics support and a further, unspecified development effort for a wider integrated training system. The latter includes the digital training aids and simulators located at Lecce-Galatina air base.
                          A direct consequence of the UAE Typhoon order?

Source:
                          FlightGlobal.com

Comment

• Tango III
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Sep 2006

14 quick-reaction AT-802F Air Tractors.

Israeli "Fire Birds" to be declared fully operational

Comment

• Tango III
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Sep 2006

The Pentagon's Emergency Plan If the F-35 Doesn't Work

Comment

• Tango III
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Sep 2006

F-35 flight tests show radar software problems: Pentagon

Comment

• Tango III
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • Sep 2006

BAE progresses pre-delivery trials of Saudi Hawks

Comment

• AndyMarden
                                    Rank 5 Registered User
                                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Tango III View Post
                                    14 quick-reaction AT-802F Air Tractors.

Israeli "Fire Birds" to be declared fully operational
                                    To be pedantic, the fleet actually consists of:
                                    5 AT-802A (single-seat)
                                    1 AT-802AF
                                    8 AT-802F

Comment

• Tango III
                                      Rank 5 Registered User
                                      • Sep 2006

Pentagon lowers F-35 acquisition cost estimate

F-35 goes on global publicity tour in battle for hearts and minds

Comment

• Tango III
                                        Rank 5 Registered User
                                        • Sep 2006

First of Three CN-235 Aircraft with Universal Avionics Upgrade Delivered

Comment

• TomcatViP
                                          Rank 5 Registered User
                                          • Nov 2011

Artists are creative. Arms manufacturers are largely destructive, intent on devising means to destroy what humanity has built or created. Arms manufacturers might be creative in seeking to come up with ways and tools to destroy things but never let them liken themselves to the creative geniuses of the last 1000 years. I find the choice of 'Leonardo' as a brand name pretentious, very inappropriate and in extremely bad taste. But then who ever said marketing people suffered from taste?
                                          it could have been worst

Long Island lab dubbed ‘Dog Vinci’ shows off painting stroke:
                                          https://youtu.be/H-Y5mXghEeA?t=7s

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X