Collapse
No announcement yet.

Russia moving tac air troops to Syria

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MadRat
    Rank 5 Registered User

For not getting involved they've already stocked a considerable amount of weight on the paved areas. I think they are going to be very involved.
    Go Huskers!

Comment

• Flyboy77
      Rank 5 Registered User

Russia Sends Warplanes To Syria To Join Fight Against ISIS

NPR has learned that four Russian attack aircraft have landed in Syria as part of an effort by Moscow to support the regime of Bashar al-Assad against Islamic State militants.

Pentagon Correspondent Tom Bowman says the Sukhoi jets, known by the NATO designation "Flanker" have been deployed at a forward operating base at Latakia, on the Mediterranean coast, along with four attack helicopters and four transport planes. Moscow plans to dispatch more aircraft, Tom says.

Meanwhile, during a nearly hour-long call, Secretary of Defense Ash Carter and his Russian counterpart, Sergei Shoigu, agreed to make sure the respective militaries "steer clear of each other as they each carry out operations against ISIS," Tom says.
      http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...t-against-isis

Only source so far so don't know how true it is. We'll see in the coming days.
      Last edited by Flyboy77; 18th September 2015, 17:10.

Comment

• KRATOS1133
        Rank 5 Registered User

Comment

• Flyboy77
          Rank 5 Registered User

Originally posted by KRATOS1133 View Post
          Well that confirms it then. Definitely a Flanker though hard to tell what model for sure by the tail it looks like a Su-30M2. If it is a SU-30M2 its a weird choice as it was meant to be used as a training aircraft for the Su-27SM upgrades. I would of thought they'd deploy Su-34 or SU-24.

Comment

• Multirole
            Rank 5 Registered User

I think that's a Su-30SM. The rudders have white tips. Makes sense if Russia's first order of business is to defend their airbase. They will likely be followed by Frogfoots.
            pb::

Comment

• YAK-28-BREWER
              Rank 5 Registered User

I don't think this presents any proof. It's a fuzzy picture that has a Syrian symbol watermarked on it. Also it looks like it has a blue tail section but white nose.

Comment

• MSphere

Originally posted by YAK-28-BREWER View Post
                I don't think this presents any proof. It's a fuzzy picture that has a Syrian symbol watermarked on it. Also it looks like it has a blue tail section but white nose.
                These tree tops look like Russia, not Syria, if you ask me..

Comment

• YAK-28-BREWER
                  Rank 5 Registered User

That's what I thought. Also I think that is a Russian Knights Flanker coming in to land. Given my in-laws dacha isn't that far from Kubinka we see them fly over quite often.

Comment

• KRATOS1133
                    Rank 5 Registered User

The NYT speak of 4 Hip + 4 Hind + 4 Flankers
                    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/19/wo...=tw-share&_r=1

Comment

• KRATOS1133
                      Rank 5 Registered User

Originally posted by Multirole View Post
                      I think that's a Su-30SM
                      me too

Comment

• MSphere

... the photo you have posted is of an Su-30M2

Comment

• Jungle Boy
                          Rank 5 Registered User

What Russia did to improve its C-SAR capabilities since 2008?
                          IF Russia is willing to enter to conflict on the side of Bashar Al Assad with air support they will need it.
                          The 2008 conflict with Georgia proved (at least to me) they had none.

Comment

• YAK-28-BREWER
                            Rank 5 Registered User

The 2008 war showed up lots of things. Hence why there has been a big push since from everything I have read to improve across the board.
                            I still don't think that photo has been taken in Syria.

Comment

• JSR
                              JSR
                              Rank 5 Registered User

Originally posted by Jungle Boy View Post
                              What Russia did to improve its C-SAR capabilities since 2008?
                              IF Russia is willing to enter to conflict on the side of Bashar Al Assad with air support they will need it.
                              The 2008 conflict with Georgia proved (at least to me) they had none.
                              you dont do Close airsupoort when you want to defeat in less than 3 days. CAS is for slow motion war.

Comment

• Berkut

Supposedly taken in Syria. Fuzzy picture looks like;

1; A two seater.
                                2; Has black antiglare around cockpit.

= Su-30SM.

Comment

• Jungle Boy
                                  Rank 5 Registered User

Originally posted by JSR View Post
                                  you dont do Close airsupoort when you want to defeat in less than 3 days. CAS is for slow motion war.
                                  But I dont think Russia is sending Flanker do to CAS. I think they are going to use it to atack much more valuable targets such as non ISIS weapons depot wearing down the oposition to the syrian government or bomb ISIS supply lines along the border with Turkey with impunity. Turkey wont dare to atack russian aircrafts fighting ISIS near its border as they do against syrian air force warplanes.

Comment

• Berkut

http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-defe...art-1442589965

Google the title if you dont see the full article.

Comment

• Flyboy77
                                      Rank 5 Registered User

The more interesting question now is that if RuAF does plan to carrier out airstrikes will there dragging their feet on purchases of new PGM come to hurt them now? Not to mention that the smallest PGM that Russia has on offer at the moment is the KAB-500 which is still a big bomb. American equivalent is the GBU-16 or GBU-48. Not good if you are going to be targeting IS in urban city and want to avoid the bad press of collateral damage.

Anyone have any opinions on this?

Originally posted by Berkut View Post

Supposedly taken in Syria. Fuzzy picture looks like;

1; A two seater.
                                      2; Has black antiglare around cockpit.

= Su-30SM.
                                      Yeah I would agree with you. The Flanker in the bad quality photo looks like it has the vertical stabilisers of the Su-30M2 but it could just be the colour contrast that gives it that appearance.

Comment

• Marcellogo
                                        Rank 5 Registered User

Originally posted by JSR View Post
                                        C-SAR : Combat Search And Rescue.

Russia has a lot of CAS anyway.

Comment

• Marcellogo
                                          Rank 5 Registered User

Originally posted by Flyboy77 View Post
                                          The more interesting question now is that if RuAF does plan to carrier out airstrikes will there dragging their feet on purchases of new PGM come to hurt them now? Not to mention that the smallest PGM that Russia has on offer at the moment is the KAB-500 which is still a big bomb. American equivalent is the GBU-16 or GBU-48. Not good if you are going to be targeting IS in urban city and want to avoid the bad press of collateral damage.

Anyone have any opinions on this?
                                          There is many way to kill a cat.
                                          S-25L rocket,Ugroza conversion kit for standard ones (but also unguided one are quite precise), At-16, Kh-25,Kh-29, Kh-59.
                                          Russians have Jdam type bombs but they are definitely not their weapon of choice.
                                          Also because to exploit their full potential you need scores of drones and a very precise satellite signal, something they fulfilled just recently.
                                          In any case they can also habe the occasion to give a try of the new weapons presented at MAKS.
                                          Last edited by Marcellogo; 19th September 2015, 20:04.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X