Long Range aviation Tu-22M/ Tu-22M3/ Tu-16/Tu-95 in anti-shipping role

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 2 months

I noticed that the Soviets had approx. 400 Tu-16/tu-95 and Backfires by the end of the 80s in "long range aviation" which was different from the bomber assests in Naval aviation

But the bombers in the long range aviation can they also carry the AS-4 and AS-6 missiles and participate in antishipping strikes ?

Original post

Member for

15 years 4 months

The history is somewhat messy With the Strategic bomber for VVS and RuNavy.

When the Breakup of Soviet happend, the RuN faced to worst cut backs, it was almost to the point of being inactive.
Lot of units and regiments was transfered over the VVS.

Only now in the last 3-5 years have we seen renewed Activity and New units and upgraded units delivered to RuNavy.
But its more about those MPA units, Tu-142MR, Il-18. As welol as a Regiment of new Su-30SM South in Black Sea region.

Member for

19 years 2 months

The history is somewhat messy With the Strategic bomber for VVS and RuNavy.

When the Breakup of Soviet happend, the RuN faced to worst cut backs, it was almost to the point of being inactive.
Lot of units and regiments was transfered over the VVS.

Only now in the last 3-5 years have we seen renewed Activity and New units and upgraded units delivered to RuNavy.
But its more about those MPA units, Tu-142MR, Il-18. As welol as a Regiment of new Su-30SM South in Black Sea region.

Thanks for replying my question was related to before USSR breakup, was the Strategic aviation also tasked with ant-shipping strikes ?

Great website btw :)

Member for

18 years

as far as i can tell, no. only naval aviation was to be used in that role.

Member for

17 years 8 months

From close-up pictures it looks like each variation is special built for specific tasks. Multirole probably wasn't in their blood.