Looking for information about the RAF Atlas ZM400

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

12 years 7 months

https://www.flickr.com/photos/109794245@N05/17437136685/in/datetaken/

I was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time when ZM400 landed here at Kirtland AFB back on May 8.

But oddly enough, the aircraft has been here at Kirtland ever since, and has been sitting on one of the aircraft parking ramps for a few weeks now.

In a trip over to that side of the base yesterday, I noticed a RAF C-17 has arrived (not sure what day), and was parked in the same general area.

I was wondering if anybody knows of any issues with ZM400 as I find it odd it's been here at Kirtland for over a month now.

Thanks in advance for any information!

Rob

Original post

Member for

14 years 3 months

Are the RAF flying their A400Ms at the moment? The grounding after the crash in Spain might have something to do with the prolonged stay?

Member for

11 years 2 months

A400m crashed in spain May 9th all but airbus test aircraft have been grounded sense then. Not sure if french A400m are grounded.

Member for

13 years

To reply directly to the question asked, then undoubtedly the grounding of their aircraft by the British following the total loss of an aircraft on first flight in Spain is why ZM400 remains at Kirkland AFB.

Now that Airbus have released the findings of the investigation into the Spanish crash, with the blame (as I non-technically understand it) placed on engine control software incorrectly installed. Presumably Airbus and the operating Air Forces have now worked out how to ensure that existing aircraft can be re-flown safely. As far as I am aware the RAF have two delivered (ZM400 and ZM402) with ZM402 noted on training around UK airfields on 8th May before grounding. Presumably both will be checked and tested before returning to flight once cleared to do so. In many ways only a month grounding following a disastrous crash could be considered quite a short period. Think back to how long it took to get Concorde cleared for flight again (although the cause of the problem was very different).

Member for

14 years 8 months

They are flying again: screenshot from a few minutes ago

[ATTACH=CONFIG]238207[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

12 years 7 months

Thanks all for the information!

I had thought the crash and subsequent grounding had happened later in May, but that would explain why it's been here since it landed with what I assume was some sort of a weapons delivery.

Hope it gets back into the air soon, and I'm lucky enough to be somewhere to get a decent picture again.

Rob