Bangladesh Air Force

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years

All news and discussion about the Bangladesh air force (BAF), a small but nascent air force probably looking for new types in 5-10 years...

Original post

Member for

13 years 6 months

The near future:

http://russianplanes.net/images/to165000/164034.jpg

http://russianplanes.net/images/to165000/164877.jpg

Member for

19 years

Bangladesh is a very flat country, with most of the country as flat as a table top. This makes me think a SAM based IADS may be best with small numbers of aircraft to augment it. Additionally, the EEZ is of vital importance with potential possibility of conflict with Myanmar. Bangladesh Navy ships dont have air defence as their strong point (to put it mildly).

Presently Bangladesh has a small number of F-7s that are in decent shape and constantly buzzing around the city. I think their basic strategy is to fly low around an urban environment and popup an ambush. However, these planes lack any real range and offensive capability. There is rumor that they do have some kind of a BVR capability in theory, but not sure how that pans out in real operational terms.

Bangladesh has been economically growing at a decent pace and consistently for two decades. However, defence spendoing is miniscule and most Bangladeshis (including myself) would like to keep it that way. We are quite peace loving and not interested in picking any fights. When Myanmar naval forces blatantly entered and stayed in our territorial waters, our reaction was to ask them very politely to leave, later we complained to the UN and eventually had our way in a diplomatic way.

So, the challenge for us is to build a bare basic IADS that maximizes value for a mpdest pocket. Yet, it would be nice to have at least some teeth, some offensive capability.

This is my vision of how that could happen:
Layered SAMs, Hq-7, Hq-16, HQ-9. A small number of each would be good enough for our small country. Everything networked together by a national c4isr system.

Fo the limited offensive capability, I would go for refurbished and upgraded chinese J-8s. Given the flat terrain, interceptors would work great. They would also be able to cover naval air defence, and an Ashm role maybe even cm-400akg. 24 units of j-8s should do nicely, or so I hope, with the disclaimer that I am just a lay person and have no professional experience in these matters...

PS: amazing pics tr-1, thanks for sharing. They look beautiful!

Member for

10 years 11 months

Fo the limited offensive capability, I would go for refurbished and upgraded chinese J-8s. Given the flat terrain, interceptors would work great. They would also be able to cover naval air defence, and an Ashm role maybe even cm-400akg. 24 units of j-8s should do nicely, or so I

are you serious Hussein?

weren't you the same guy preaching how the JF-17 is the light saber for the third world?
grandestrategy.com/2007/06/light-sabre-for-third-world-fc-1-jf-17.html

Member for

19 years

are you serious Hussein?

weren't you the same guy preaching how the JF-17 is the light saber for the third world?
grandestrategy.com/2007/06/light-sabre-for-third-world-fc-1-jf-17.html

Horses for courses my friend. JF-17s could replace j7s but cannot give us a decently ranged platform with certain performance parameters...

Also if you read the link, my projection of JF-17 export success was based on the caveat of a chinese engine...

Member for

24 years 3 months

I know they had to go due to age, but I liked the A-5s they were using up until fairly recently. Nice looking little airplane.

Member for

13 years 4 months

A good topic, but lots of flawed assumption by the thread author.

There is no such strategy as "flying low around urban environment and pop up to ambush". Flying interceptors are not like a play of hide and seek. Do you even understand the modern radar capability of "look down, shot down"?

J-8 is such an old platform compared to the jf-17. There is little difference in combat range between the two, but a great leap in radar, kinematic performance and weapons capability of the jf-17, why bother with the ancient j-8?

Member for

14 years 1 month

I know they had to go due to age, but I liked the A-5s they were using up until fairly recently. Nice looking little airplane.

A bitch to fly, so they say.. :)

Member for

10 years 11 months

A good topic, but lots of flawed assumption by the thread author.

There is no such strategy as "flying low around urban environment and pop up to ambush". Flying interceptors are not like a play of hide and seek. Do you even understand the modern radar capability of "look down, shot down"?

J-8 is such an old platform compared to the jf-17. There is little difference in combat range between the two, but a great leap in radar, kinematic performance and weapons capability of the jf-17, why bother with the ancient j-8?

there's some guys.. okay actually just two guys in this forum, who have such a hard on for 3rd gen aircraft that they imagine crazy scenarios and upgrades that's supposed to make them more appealing than all the other more sensible options out there.

Member for

10 years 11 months

A bitch to fly, so they say.. :)

Hussein would say.. no problem.. just stick a modern radar and fbw in the A-5 and it will be a cheap but modern alternative for any air force, like those brave freedom fighters who want topple Assad and evil Shiites.

Member for

11 years 5 months

I think if it was me I would go for 50 JF-17,s to replace the F-7,s and Mig-29's make sure that Jf-17 came with Ra,ad missiles in the deal to give a stand off capability I would then look into updating and adding to the C-130 fleet maybe look at getting 6 C-130-H from the US next look at replacing the An-32's maybe with 6 C295's with 2-3 in MPA fit.

Member for

12 years 10 months

How about getting some used F-16 instead? Relatively cheap (compared to new western jets) and far superior to JF-17.
There should be a ton of second hand F-16 available in the next decade as jsf gets adopted.

Member for

14 years 1 month

How about getting some used F-16 instead? Relatively cheap (compared to new western jets) and far superior to JF-17.
There should be a ton of second hand F-16 available in the next decade as jsf gets adopted.
I'd like to see some analysis for that..

Member for

11 years 5 months

the other thing that needs to be taken into mind is that they will have a good stock of weapons from China for the F-7 fleet that can be used on JF-17.