Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Helicopter News & Discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    S97 Retracts landing gear for the first time

    (video included)

    Comment


      Airbus fumes over UK ban

      I read in the news that Airbus went:

      "Frankly we have to understand why they are not following EASA: is that an anticipation of Brexit or is that due to other evolutions or influences? We need to understand that."
      Airbus fumes over UK ban on Super Puma helicopter flights | Daily Mail Online

      It looks to me that they are making a technical problem a political issue, which doesn't look very good to the public. If just the guys at AH read a bit around, there is a clear answer in:

      "However, the report states: "Although the interim action could reduce the frequency of spalling, spalling with the potential for catastrophic failure remains an inherent characteristic of the Puma family for which no long term solution has yet been identified (...) Despite the EASA decision, both the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) and the Norwegian Civil Aviation Authority have kept bans on Super Pumas flying in their airspace in place.
      The two organisations are awaiting the final report into the crash near Bergen, which is expected to be several months away."
      Super Puma has 'potentially catastrophic' design failure, report claims (From HeraldScotland)

      While I can understand the HS could not be the main read around Marignane, AH basically says nothing more about the report, other than denying.

      Comment


        Interesting that the EASA oppose both the Civil Aviation Authority and the one in charge of the Crash inquiry. They'd better be sure of their position otherwise the stain on its reputation could be damaging.
        The fact that Airbus procedures (test and preventive maintenance) seems to have been faulty does not preclude something good for an agency backing them unilaterally.
        Last edited by TomcatViP; 9th November 2016, 08:23.

        Comment


          Originally posted by TomcatViP View Post
          Interesting that the EASA oppose both the Civil Aviation Authority and the one in charge of the Crash inquiry. They'd better be sure of their position otherwise the stain on its reputation could be damaging.
          The fact that Airbus procedures (test and preventive maintenance) seems to have been faulty does not preclude something good for an agency backing them unilaterally.
          Do you have a source for the report? EASA is not reknown for being laxist.

          Comment


            Yes. That's why taking position in such a way is awkward. I think I posted it in the civilian forum. I am on my mobile now but if you do a search for H225, you might reach it quickly.

            Edit:
            Nevermind. I posted the fleet grounding report only. The one lifting the ban might be available somewhere.
            Last edited by TomcatViP; 9th November 2016, 16:53.

            Comment


              A Philippine Air Force W-3A helicopter crashed.

              Four injured as Air Force chopper crashes in Palawan

              Comment


                Greece receives first ex-US Army Chinooks

                Comment


                  Bell signs AH-1Z MoU with Romanian industry

                  Comment


                    U.S. Army's New Futuristic Helicopters Won't Be Like Anything You Have Ever Seen

                    Comment


                      Military helicopter goes down in central Afghanistan

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by TomcatViP View Post
                        Yes. That's why taking position in such a way is awkward. I think I posted it in the civilian forum. I am on my mobile now but if you do a search for H225, you might reach it quickly.

                        Edit:
                        Nevermind. I posted the fleet grounding report only. The one lifting the ban might be available somewhere.
                        It is awkward indeed, but becomes less weird when you look at the different nature of the components of the two boards. EASA board is more technical, where CAA is all business.
                        btw, the link to the ban lifting should be the first one in this article:

                        http://helioffshore.org/easa-airwort...-h225-as332ls/

                        Comment


                          Brazilian military police helicopter down in Rio, killing 4

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by comanche View Post
                            It is awkward indeed, but becomes less weird when you look at the different nature of the components of the two boards. EASA board is more technical, where CAA is all business.
                            btw, the link to the ban lifting should be the first one in this article:

                            http://helioffshore.org/easa-airwort...-h225-as332ls/
                            No.

                            (EASA)
                            Although the root cause of this failure is still
                            not fully understood, it involved cracking of the planet gear bearing outer race, some spalling and
                            propagation of a crack into the rim of the gear, finally resulting in its rupture.
                            There are two configurations of planet gear within the current type design. In depth review of the
                            design and service data showed that one configuration has higher operating stress levels that
                            result in more frequent events of spalling, associated with rolling contact fatigue, while the other
                            exhibits better reliability behaviour. By limiting the type design to the gear configuration with
                            lower stress levels and better reliability and specifying a reduced life limit, combined with more
                            effective oil debris monitoring procedures and other operational controls, an acceptable level of
                            safety can be restored.
                            There is nothing there technical...
                            Worst, nothing is done to counter the reliability issue with a product that has passed apparently test and inspections unhampered since its service entry. This would have been acceptable (not sure really) for a new design or a brand new product line. Not for a product based on a decade long design.
                            Last edited by TomcatViP; 21st November 2016, 01:25.

                            Comment


                              Seems to be a Squirell. No bullet holes were sighted by the police forces (that does not mean it hasn't been downed)
                              Last edited by TomcatViP; 21st November 2016, 01:40.

                              Comment


                                First flight for upgraded Merlin HC4

                                Comment


                                  Russia manufactures two Mi-171 helicopters for China

                                  Comment


                                    Boeing signs off on final six H135 helicopters for Australia

                                    Comment


                                      Airbus Helicopters Delivers Final EC135T2+ for Australian Military Training Program

                                      Comment


                                        Turkey’s indigenous helicopter to be equipped with locally-made missiles

                                        Comment


                                         

                                        Working...
                                        X