Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eurofighter Typhoon discussion and news 2015

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (0 members and 4 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by obligatory View Post
    optimal alt for f-22 was 37k ft
    Come on, obligatory. :-) F-35 enjoys a much higher fuel fraction over the F-22 (and just about everything else), meaning a 50 percent fuel load is not a quite fair comparison. Adjusting for this wont give the F-35 a stellar envelope, but it's certainly a bit larger than this chart would seem to suggest.

    Comment


      i still rather stick to standardized parameters rather than invent new ones for each and every fighter which totally
      removes any hope of comparison

      Comment


        Originally posted by energo View Post
        Come on, obligatory. :-) F-35 enjoys a much higher fuel fraction over the F-22 (and just about everything else), meaning a 50 percent fuel load is not a quite fair comparison. Adjusting for this wont give the F-35 a stellar envelope, but it's certainly a bit larger than this chart would seem to suggest.
        Agree , personally i enjoy the kind of comparision done by Andraxxuss and Spurt where they always equalize the combat radius of those aircraft being compared

        Comment


          Originally posted by obligatory View Post
          i still rather stick to standardized parameters rather than invent new ones for each and every fighter which totally
          removes any hope of comparison
          Now you've been around long enough to see the point. ;-) Those "standard parameters" are fine when you consider that most fighters have similar fuel fractions, or around 30 percent relative to weight, mirroring their design mission carrying external drop tanks. So that "standard" will be close enough for a meaningful comparison. But the F-35 and Flankers (and Mig-31) are exceptions to the rule, both have design missions carrying no external fuel tanks, so different metrics naturally applies.

          So no need to "invent" new rules, just consider that some jets are different depending on what you want to compare. Same thing goes for the Gripen C vs. Gripen E, the latter with a much higher internal fuel fraction and thus with different metrics.

          Comment


            So is that the newest version of starfish prime?

            Comment


              no hell no, energo was around when starfish prime was still toddle around in his napkins

              Comment


                Originally posted by Nicolas10 View Post
                So is that the newest version of starfish prime?
                That unlikely, energo was here even before me

                Comment


                  BAE officials say that if Finland chooses the Eurofighter assembly line can be send to Finland so they can "manufacture" all the fighters in here. Both French and Swedes have made the same offer before them.
                  http://www.talouselama.fi/uutiset/eu...uomeen-6599888

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Broccoli View Post
                    BAE officials say that if Finland chooses the Eurofighter assembly line can be send to Finland so they can "manufacture" all the fighters in here. Both French and Swedes have made the same offer before them.
                    http://www.talouselama.fi/uutiset/eu...uomeen-6599888
                    Which one? Can't translate the whole text

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by halloweene View Post
                      Which one? Can't translate the whole text
                      I don't think they're actually planning to move an entire assembly line to Finland and it likely isn't even necessary. Patria (formerly Valmet) has assembled Hornets and NH90's so end-assembly of Eurofighters should work out easily.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Yama View Post
                        I don't think they're actually planning to move an entire assembly line to Finland and it likely isn't even necessary. Patria (formerly Valmet) has assembled Hornets and NH90's so end-assembly of Eurofighters should work out easily.
                        Yes, that's correct.

                        Comment


                          In fact it could be a smart move : only italian chain has contracted future atm. BAE chain awaiting for KSA good news, and spanish waiting for EJA orders to replace F-18. German chain will be closed for two years...

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by halloweene View Post
                            In fact it could be a smart move : only italian chain has contracted future atm. BAE chain awaiting for KSA good news, and spanish waiting for EJA orders to replace F-18. German chain will be closed for two years...
                            After Trumps victory there have been surge of Eurofighter news released by media. There are always political elements tied to fighter deals and perhaps now Eurofighter is becoming more relevant choice (earlier it was basically seen as unlikely winner) due the talks about more integrated European defense.

                            Comment


                              I cannot imagine Typhoon being sustained in Finland. Sure it will be a serious upgrade over Hornet. But in an invasion, how do you disperse them?
                              Go Huskers!

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by MadRat View Post
                                I cannot imagine Typhoon being sustained in Finland. Sure it will be a serious upgrade over Hornet. But in an invasion, how do you disperse them?
                                I don't see why that would be a problem. Typhoon's operative requirements likely aren't much different from Hornet.

                                Any way, I don't see much chance for Typhoon. It seems expensive and kind of obsolescent. They'd need to come up with some really special deal for to have a chance.
                                Last edited by Yama; 17th November 2016, 23:57.

                                Comment


                                  Originally posted by Yama View Post
                                  Any way, I don't see much chance for Typhoon. It seems expensive and kind of obsolescent. They'd need to come up with some really special deal for to have a chance.
                                  Everything except Gripen will be expensive for them, I am afraid.. I predict they will be whining over $150mil for a Typhoon only then to give in to political pressure and pay $200+mil for the F-35A. Oh, pardon, it's only $90mil, with ancilliary equipment worth another $110mil, sorry..

                                  Comment


                                    Your GripenE is at least $80 and would have virtually the same ancillary equipment... but would either spend more on longer-ranged PGMs or need escorts to do it's job.
                                    "The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

                                    Comment


                                      Originally posted by SpudmanWP View Post
                                      Your GripenE is at least $80 and would have virtually the same ancillary equipment... but would either spend more on longer-ranged PGMs or need escorts to do it's job.
                                      "My" Gripen-E needs 1/3rd of the ancilliary equipment of "your" F-35.. most importantly, allows the user to maintain operational sovereignity and operate the aircraft without the constant involvement of the big watchful eye and does not require an additional $2bil WACO facility just to provide basic operational repairs..

                                      Comment


                                        1/3 the equipment.. nice guess but no proof.

                                        That "big eye" is what allows you to buy a stealth aircraft and operate it in environments that your Gripen could never hope to go.

                                        Oh yeah, BS on the WACO requirement.
                                        "The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

                                        Comment


                                          Originally posted by MSphere View Post
                                          Everything except Gripen will be expensive for them, I am afraid.. I predict they will be whining over $150mil for a Typhoon only then to give in to political pressure and pay $200+mil for the F-35A. Oh, pardon, it's only $90mil, with ancilliary equipment worth another $110mil, sorry..
                                          When they bolt all that stuff to Gripen, I don't think it's going to be that cheap anymore.
                                          Seems obvious that F/A-18E/F is the cheapest, but probably isn't in production anymore in 2022...

                                          Comment


                                           

                                          Working...
                                          X