Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eurofighter Typhoon discussion and news 2015

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • St. John
    Rank 4 Registered User
    • Jan 2018

Originally posted by djcross View Post
    The downfall of all three munitions is lack of VLO design which makes ECM support against enemy CIWS more difficult during the terminal phase. So you have to employ a simultaneous swarming attack to make sure some of the munitions get through to the target.
    A 1.8m long, 7 inch wide missile is going to have a pretty small RCS anyway.

Comment

• djcross
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Jan 2000

Originally posted by St. John View Post
      SPEAR 3 has longer range and is more about SEAD/DEAD and taking out vehicles with SAM cover. SDB I/II are more about taking out buildings or parts of buildings from closer ranges, or large patrol boats too I guess. SPEAR 3 can also take low level routes to the target if need be.
      SDB II seeker is optimized for automated target recognition and hitting moving targets.

SDB I and II have a range of 80-90km, but the flyout time is longer since they are glide bombs. That range is within the F-35's sensor capabilities against camouflaged targets and decoy discrimination.
      Last edited by djcross; 8th March 2019, 10:12.

Comment

• djcross
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Jan 2000

A 1.8m long, 7 inch wide missile is going to have a pretty small RCS anyway.
        When the seeker is a cat's eye reflector, it does not matter if the weapon is small

Comment

• St. John
          Rank 4 Registered User
          • Jan 2018

When the seeker is a cat's eye reflector, it does not matter if the weapon is small
          Well, this discussion seems familiar. There is a Russian stealth fighter with a far bigger such reflector on the nose. I'm not sure the end cap even comes off until the missile is in the target area either. People are just guessing based on mock-ups and artists impressions at the moment.

Comment

• St. John
            Rank 4 Registered User
            • Jan 2018

SDB II seeker is optimized for automated target recognition and hitting moving targets.

SDB I and II have a range of 80-90km, but the flyout time is longer since they are glide bombs. That range is within the F-35's sensor capabilities against camouflaged targets and decoy discrimination.
            SPEAR 3 is looking at 140km.
            https://world.eurofighter.com/articl...almighty-punch

Spray a bit of jamming on the radar, launch 8 and then wait for impact.

Comment

• ClanWarrior
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Oct 2007

SPEAR 3 is looking at 140km.
              https://world.eurofighter.com/articl...almighty-punch

Spray a bit of jamming on the radar, launch 8 and then wait for impact.
              I would have wondered why the SPEAR 3 was not designed with Stealth from the start, considering that mbda systems have designed and built Storm Shadow.

Comment

• St. John
                Rank 4 Registered User
                • Jan 2018

Originally posted by ClanWarrior View Post

I would have wondered why the SPEAR 3 was not designed with Stealth from the start, considering that mbda systems have designed and built Storm Shadow.
                Cost and simplicity is my guess. Additionally, with it being so small, it's probably going to approximate a near tennis-ball-sized frontal RCS anyway.

Comment

• ClanWarrior
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Oct 2007

Cost and simplicity is my guess. Additionally, with it being so small, it's probably going to approximate a near tennis-ball-sized frontal RCS anyway.
                  Never thought about cost being a factor with a stealthy SPEAR 3, in comparison anyone know the total cost of the Storm Shadow cruise missile?

Comment

• St. John
                    Rank 4 Registered User
                    • Jan 2018

Originally posted by ClanWarrior View Post

Never thought about cost being a factor with a stealthy SPEAR 3, in comparison anyone know the total cost of the Storm Shadow cruise missile?
                    790k in 2011.

Comment

• ClanWarrior
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Oct 2007

790k in 2011.
                      I never new that Storm Shadow cost 790,000 back in 2011. I remember seeing Storm Shadow in mock-up form at the now defunct RAF Leuchars airshow sometime in the early 2000's.

Thanks for the info St. John.

Comment

• swerve
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Jun 2005

SDB I and II have a range of 80-90km, .... .
                        Range of SDB is very dependent on altitude & speed of launch aircraft.
                        Juris praecepta sunt haec: honeste vivere, alterum non laedere, suum cuique tribuere.
                        Justinian

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                        X