"in hindsight, they should've bought this instead" thread

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

10 years 11 months

Brazil should've chose the Gripen from the first FX

India should've bought the ex Qatari Mirage 2000s

Russia should've built their own landing dock carrier instead of buying French

India shouldn't have bought the Gorshkov

actually I feel that half the list will mention India..

Original post

Member for

18 years 4 months

Member for

11 years 11 months

I'm torn on the notion of the U.S./NATO shouldn't have purchased the F-35. In my opinion, besides being a scam to make a whole bunch of companies money courtesy of the taxpayer, I'm not sure the F-35 is needed. From what I read about the aircraft, it really isn't what the designers cracked it up to be. I do agree that something is needed, but I am not sure the F-35 is it. I don't believe that the F-35 is a replacement for the A-10 based on pure capability. It seems as if all of these air arms put their eggs in the F-35 basket and it the product is not all it is cracked up to be.

Member for

18 years 10 months

Austria: should have bought Gripen instead of Typhoon. Perfectly adequate for Austria's needs, cheaper to buy & operate, & logistics could have been pooled with Hungary & the Czech Republic.

Member for

15 years 5 months

Gripen E is what the Gripen C should have been

Member for

20 years 8 months

I'm torn on the notion of the U.S./NATO shouldn't have purchased the F-35. In my opinion, besides being a scam to make a whole bunch of companies money courtesy of the taxpayer, I'm not sure the F-35 is needed. From what I read about the aircraft, it really isn't what the designers cracked it up to be. I do agree that something is needed, but I am not sure the F-35 is it. I don't believe that the F-35 is a replacement for the A-10 based on pure capability. It seems as if all of these air arms put their eggs in the F-35 basket and it the product is not all it is cracked up to be.
Don't let the F-35 lovers on the F-35 thread see this you'll have them crying in their beer (or milk as I get the impression that some of the posters are not old enough for beer, mostly the ones who are most vociferous in defence of the pig).

Member for

18 years 10 months

India should've bought the ex Qatari Mirage 2000s...

And the Mirage 2000 production line when it was offered . . .

But had the first of class of the IAC built in Italy with Indians observing & learning, while India prepared to build the second of class.

actually I feel that half the list will mention India..

:D
Let's add -
India should have selected the RR offer to re-engine Jaguar, & actually had the project underway by now.

I think there will be examples from Malaysia along soon.

Member for

15 years 4 months

And the Mirage 2000 production line when it was offered.

Plus one

RN should have gone for Spey engined Crusaders instead of Phantoms (no need to buy carriers and planes and refurb older flat tops all in one go and commonality with our nearest big naval ally)

RN should have gone for CTOL (or at very least contract writers should have insisted that FFBNW cats and traps actually stayed in place during detailed design phase of QE2)

RAAF should have got Buccaneers not Aardvarks

USN should have selected A11 not A12

NATO should have gone for .280 and British Army bought EM2

RAN should have gone Japanese for their Collins class

whoever suggested PFI for RAF IAR should have been shot

likewise whoever allowed a submarine designing and building holiday in the UK

Member for

18 years 10 months

One problem with that list. Japan had a complete ban on arms exports when the Collins class was ordered & built.

Member for

13 years 5 months

Australia should've bought Rafale instead of F-35.

Member for

12 years 4 months

i don't see how you can justify the extra expenses on logistic with Raf when you have alrdy SH in your fleet... It does not make any senses.

If you had in mind that Au shld have bought Rafale instead of SH, then that could be discussed rationally.

But by the way, shld hve Australia bought Tiger and NH90 ? ;)

Member for

13 years 5 months

i don't see how you can justify the extra expenses on logistic with Raf when you have alrdy SH in your fleet... It does not make any senses.

If you had in mind that Au shld have bought Rafale instead of SH, then that could be discussed rationally.

But by the way, shld hve Australia bought Tiger and NH90 ? ;)

Australia did not have SH at the time, and only has so now due to the repeated failures of the F-35 program and government bureaucracy taking the path of least resistance (imagination, career risk, etc.) at each successive turn. So yes, the suggestion is that Australia should've bought Rafale instead of SH+F-35.

NH90 was clearly the wrong choice. Tiger is more complicated.

Member for

13 years 4 months

Everyone that has bought the nh90 should have bought other helicopters instead...

Member for

12 years 4 months

Ok understood. I completely agree. But the Growler is a nice little temptation when Boeing start marketing their fighter.

Member for

16 years 3 months

In the naval aviation realm, France should have developed a carrier-capable multirole Mirage F1M (preferably M53 powered) in the early 70s, instead of wasting time with the Jaguar M, warmed-up Super Etendard and Crusader upgrades.

If the Cold War had gone hot, the European buyers of the F16A would have regretted not buying the Mirage F1-M53 instead.

Luckily for them, the wars that did come generously waited for the F16 MLU upgrade to fix the F-16As limited capabilities, and were ideally suited to close air support (instead of more stressful high-altitude BVR scenarios).

Member for

13 years

Everyone that has bought the nh90 should have bought other helicopters instead...

Other helicopters like what? There wasn't that much choice 15 years ago. Funny how bad press (especially in Germany) is overriding positive news.

The NH90 seen by its pilots (in French)

new-zealand-nh90-success-story

Member for

12 years 10 months

In light of recent Chinese and Russian advances, spelling out a requirement for a fifth gen aircraft was wise. The F-22 ran on proprietary software and couldn't be navalized. So a new fifth gen design was required. The USMC had a fleet of AV-8Bs needing replacement, so a STOVL capability was required to standardization and to reduce costs through higher economies. So the design needed a STOVL variant. (And the F-35B's export prospects are shaping up to be excellent.) It needed to be able to carry a standoff strike weapon internally, so deeper weapons bays were necessary.

In the end, the program over-promised (cheaper than the SH, IOC in ten years flat), and it was badly mismanaged for a long while but for the most part it has delivered what could reasonably be expected.

(The A-10 is also being replaced by the F-16, F-15E, B1B in the CAS role. The days of low level gun attacks are coming to an end. Even the A-10 uses the AGM-65 as its primary air-to-ground weapon rather than the main gun.)

Member for

12 years 10 months

India should have selected the RR offer to re-engine Jaguar, & actually had the project underway by now.

That one was sound. The aircraft's performance in hot and high conditions is poor and a significant thrust upgrade is necessary, if its to be operated past 2020.

Member for

18 years 10 months

It ain't sound if it doesn't happen. The technically & financially more challenging option was chosen, & seems to have run into quicksand.

Member for

13 years 5 months

That one was sound. The aircraft's performance in hot and high conditions is poor and a significant thrust upgrade is necessary, if its to be operated past 2020.

Or they could just retire them from 2020-2025 and replace with Tejas/Mk. 2.

Even today that still might be the best course of action.

Member for

12 years 5 months

They still got a good deal even after the price increases.

Slightly outside of the topic, but still fits;

F-23, F-23, F-23. Did i mention F-23? With F120's...