Collapse
No announcement yet.

RuAF News and development Thread part 14

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TomcatViP
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Nov 2011

Originally posted by TEEJ View Post
    This has come up before. I can't see Russia sending troops to Syria to fight ISIS?

From 4th August 2015.

https://www.rt.com/news/311583-russi...ps-syria-isis/
    I don't know for you but in my book Putin denials will only raises speculations

I have also a hard time with Mig31 flying in the congestioned airspace above Syria where SyAF, Turkish, Israelis and coalition planes of all sort are susceptible to operate at any time!
    Last edited by TomcatViP; 1st September 2015, 16:20.

Comment

• Austin
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Oct 2003

May be some Special Forces of Military GRU and Signal Intelligence would be there along with Syrian forces , Dont see why Russia would send its military to fight ISIS , let those nation that created it in the first place deal with it
      "A map does you no good if you don't know where you are"

Comment

• TR1
        TR1
        http://tiny.cc/tp8kd
        • Oct 2010

There have been Russian special forces in Syria for many years now, including during the conflict.
        Their main role has not been combat obviously.

Recently however there was footage of a new BTR-82A firing and a Russian voice over the radio. Probably small scale advisor support. Or could be Slavonic Corp 2.0 .

Either way, forget some large troop commitment. If Russia really wanted to intervene there are about 10 steps they could take first to assist Assad short of troop intervention.
        sigpic

Comment

• Wanderlei
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by ink View Post
          Serbian media are reporting, via Israeli news outlet Ynet, that Russian troops and aircraft have begun arriving in Syria to begin Russia's intervention against ISIS. Still too early to tell if this is bogus news but I thought I'd post it anyway.
          I saw it too, but its just Serbian news reporting from Israeli "Yedioth Ahronoth" article that has little to do with reality. Just shows how little twists in reality, and a false title can create false Breaking NEWS story.
          It even states in it that Syria has received 6 Mig-31s which are at the Damasks airbase to support government's fight against ISIS :-))

I don't understand why they do this. So many people read this crap today and are even arguing about this false news report on bunch of places.

Comment

• TR1
            TR1
            • Oct 2010

That Su-34 vid is great, thanks Haarlava.

Author's comment: The optical suit on the second Mi-171A2 prototype is different from the first, and is still not the final configuration.
            sigpic

Comment

• TR1
              TR1
              • Oct 2010

http://wizarden.livejournal.com/91169.html

And some photos from NAPO.
              sigpic

Comment

• Jō Asakura
                多聞天
                • Jan 2011

That's not an "optical suit". It's LIDAR facilitating NOE flight via synthetic vision displays.
                sigpic

Comment

• TR1
                  TR1
                  • Oct 2010

http://alexeyvvo.livejournal.com/137704.html

FSB is buying 6 Ka-226T for use on project 22460 coast guard ships.
                  sigpic

Comment

• archangelski
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Jul 2013

For those interested in MiG I-44 walkaround : http://walkarounds.scalemodels.ru/v/..._1950/MiG_144/
                    http://walkarounds.scalemodels.ru/v/...fi_wheel_bays/

Comment

• FalconDude
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Sep 2010

I never quite got the fascination with the 1.44.

Too little, too late, uninspiring and disappointing... Personally I think it is like an XF103-F2 or similar...

Not sure why everyone thinks it's the bomb ...

Comment

• Marcellogo
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Wanderlei View Post
                        I saw it too, but its just Serbian news reporting from Israeli "Yedioth Ahronoth" article that has little to do with reality. Just shows how little twists in reality, and a false title can create false Breaking NEWS story.
                        It even states in it that Syria has received 6 Mig-31s which are at the Damasks airbase to support government's fight against ISIS :-))

I don't understand why they do this. So many people read this crap today and are even arguing about this false news report on bunch of places.
                        Well, they do this to raise alarm level and try to ditch Iran nuclear deal in the congress...

Comment

• Marcellogo
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by TR1 View Post
                          There have been Russian special forces in Syria for many years now, including during the conflict.
                          Their main role has not been combat obviously.

Recently however there was footage of a new BTR-82A firing and a Russian voice over the radio. Probably small scale advisor support. Or could be Slavonic Corp 2.0 .

Either way, forget some large troop commitment. If Russia really wanted to intervene there are about 10 steps they could take first to assist Assad short of troop intervention.
                          Surely they would need to wait the US congress vote and a deal to be signed between the regime and almost a part of the opposition, so to have a sort of international legitimation.
                          IN THE VERY END they would have to made a sort of official , direct intervention even if loyalist forces would going back to a series of victory, just not to allow to the usual suspect (GSCC, Turkey and Israel) to try to turn tables on another time.
                          What no one would do is to send some stable garrison force, just crash ISIS/ islamist rebels/ die harder ones, handle it to SAA/Kurds/ local commitees and go away.

Comment

• wilhelm
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Dec 2004

Originally posted by haavarla View Post
                            A Nice walk around the MFI Mig 1.44:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBB33mzgwfk

PS, those AL-41F looks huge!
                            At 4:25 onwards in the video, there is a data placard.
                            I've never seen proper details of the 1.44 ever released.
                            Are these figures accurate? Can somebody translate them here please?

Comment

• Flanker_man
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Jan 2000

Originally posted by TR1 View Post
                              Author's comment: The optical suit on the second Mi-171A2 prototype is different from the first, and is still not the final configuration.
                              2013 version.......

Ken
                              Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast.
                              Flankers (& others) website at :-
                              http://flankers.co.uk/

Comment

• Dr.Snufflebug
                                Boggleboople snufflebug
                                • Aug 2012

Originally posted by FalconDude View Post

Too little, too late, uninspiring and disappointing... Personally I think it is like an XF103-F2 or similar...

The MiG MFI project was a mega-failure mostly because it was conceived at the worst possible time. It sorta took the shape of an odd 4/5-generation half-breed from the beginning as that was how things were standing at the time, the Soviet Union was facing a mounting crisis when it should have flown in the 1980's, and the subsequent years of shock capitalism and total economic mayhem screwed it up even more. When it finally took to the air in 2000 (!) that was more of a moment of closure rather than anything else.

The fascination with it is mainly because it's a real rarity and very little is actually known about it. Also, it would have been a beast (albeit slightly "out of place") if things had actually worked out as originally planned, no doubt about it. Furthermore, it was supposed to be Mikoyans magnum opus... That's why it's interesting IMO.
                                Last edited by Dr.Snufflebug; 2nd September 2015, 19:25.
                                sigpic

Comment

• Yama
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • Feb 2012

Originally posted by haavarla View Post
                                  A Nice walk around the MFI Mig 1.44:

PS, those AL-41F looks huge!
                                  Did the demonstrator really have AL-41's, or did it have D-30F6's like Su-47?

Originally posted by Dr.Snufflebug View Post
                                  The fascination with it is mainly because it's a real rarity and very little is actually known about it. Also, it would have been a beast (albeit slightly "out of place") if things had actually worked out as originally planned, no doubt about it. Furthermore, it was supposed to be Mikoyans magnum opus... That's why it's interesting IMO.
                                  I've always thought that Mikoyan's "magnum opus" was going to be project 7.01...
                                  When MiG-31 was presented in Le Bourget 1991, they promised that they'll present its successor in next Paris air show. Alas we never got to see it...

Comment

• TomcatViP
                                    Rank 5 Registered User
                                    • Nov 2011

Ironically, the PakFa would be that "magnum opus".

Comment

• Berkut
                                      • Nov 2011

Originally posted by wilhelm View Post
                                      At 4:25 onwards in the video, there is a data placard.
                                      I've never seen proper details of the 1.44 ever released.
                                      Are these figures accurate? Can somebody translate them here please?
                                      I have a good pic of the placard and it is full of random numbers. So no, it is not accurate at all.

Originally posted by Yama View Post
                                      Did the demonstrator really have AL-41's, or did it have D-30F6's like Su-47?
                                      1.44 was always with AL-41F's.

Comment

• MSphere
                                        • Feb 2010

Is the cockpit layout of the 1.44 known?

Comment

• Jō Asakura
                                          多聞天
                                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by FalconDude View Post

The 1.44 is the direct contemporary of the European Fighter Aircraft (later Eurofighter) and ACX (later Rafale) programmes of the early to mid 1980s. It is interesting that delta canards represented the pinnacle of European/Russian fighter designs but all three had fundamental differences.

For example, the then EFA consortium found that close-coupled canards being located close to the wing in conjunction with a chin intake produced too much drag @ supersonic speeds, and hence opted for the current fuselage mounted 'long-arm' canards.

As one will note, the 1.44 has both chin intakes (retaining the aerodynamic advantages at high AoA & sideslip) and close coupled canards so it would be interesting to see how the MiG engineers overcame this supersonic drag problem. Obviously CFD was in its infancy at the time and was by no means accurate over all parameters, so clearly MiG, TsAGI et al did the many thousands of hours grind in the wind-tunnels & gas dynamic labs

The radical looking forward fuselage of the 1.44 compared to its European contemporaries is probably indicative of how MiG overcame these design problems, a process that ultimately broke MiG's [Communist party] bank.

Incidentally, there are no AL-41Fs installed. After the second (and last) test flight NPO Saturn promptly removed them - as they were on loan to MiG. All remaining AL-41Fs (iIrc 18) are in storage @ NPO Saturn's Rybinsk plant.

Elsewhere, Tikhomirov-NIIP's circular AESA developed for Almaz Antey:

http://aviazhuk.ru/uploads/editor/im...C00067-%EA.jpg

Was due to debut @ MAKS 2015 in pavilion D9 but may have been withdrawn.
                                          sigpic

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X