Help please - Luftwaffe Eurofighter colision with Lear Biz Jet.

Read the forum code of contact

Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 3 months

Hi All,
Can any body put me right please ? I have just been informed on another Forum of the above collision. Can any tell me do the Eurofighters have TCAS or other Air traffic avoidance warning systems, I seem to remember reading on this Forum that the UK's fleet doesn't but is this true ? and which other countries do or do not have them an the aircraft please ?

Geoff.

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Fast jets have transponders when operating in civilian airspace per ICAO and national civil avaition authority requirements and are obligated to follow traffic deconfliction directions from civilian air traffic controllers.

Member for

18 years 11 months

However, this Learjet was operated by a contractor operating with the Luftwaffe to provide "airborne target services", so it was deliberately operating in close proximity to the Typhoon.

http://nsnbc.me/2014/06/23/germany-lear-jet-crashed-after-collision-with-eurofighter/

A private Lear Jet with two on board crashed after a collision with one of two German Air Force Eurofighter jets above the town of Olsberg, Sauerland, in the German State Nordrhein Westfalen, reports local police. The pilots of the two military planes were training the intercept of an out of communication, civilian airplane. At least one of the two occupants of the Lear Jet has been killed.

Oberst (Colonel) Andreas Hoppe of the 31st Tactical Fighter Wing, said that the pilot of the severely damaged Eurofighter was able of returning his jet to the Nörvenich Air Base near the city of Köln while the pilot of the second Eurofighter landed at Köln Wahn.

Hoppe added that both of the pilots were very experienced and had often executed the same training exercise as the one they carried out Monday morning at the time of the crash. The Air Force spokesman said that he had no information about the causes to the collision and that both of the planes impacted at both their body as well as a wing.

The training exercise, said Oberst Andreas Hoppe, involved the intercept of a civilian plane that failed to communicate with aviation authorities, adding that the Air Force usually establishes visual contact with such planes to guide it to one of the nearest air ports to land. The usual distance between the interceptors and the civilian plane, he added, was normally about 500 to 1,000 meters while the second military jet normally would trail the intercepted plane at a distance of 3,000 meters.

Here is the website of the contractor.
http://www.gfd-hohn.de/

Member for

11 years 3 months

Hi All,
djcross,
Many thanks for the answer can I take it then the answer is no for the TCAS and rely totally on ATC and the ICAO & NCAA guidelines when operating in civil airspace ?
Bager.
Many thanks for the article and the basic outline of the incident.

But would really like to know if Typhoon is fitted with TCAS for definite yes or no anybody please ?

Geoff.

Member for

18 years 8 months

No. I'm not immediatly aware of any such system on a military fast jet. ACAS has been tested on the F-16 afaik, maybe on other aircraft, but it doesn't look like being wide spread in operational service.

The Luftwaffe has published a press release of the accodent stating that the leading EF and the Learjet were turning left and than the collision happened. Details have not been released and civil and military aviation authorities investigate. Based on what's released it looks like the Learjet rammed the leading Eurofighter in the turn damaging its wing and fuselage and some equipment on the wing. The Learjet crashed, one crew is still missing.

Best wishes to their families and friends in these hard times!

http://www.luftwaffe.de/portal/a/luftwaffe/!ut/p/c4/TYpLCsMwDERvZKVWGpvueoo23SmxCQJ_glGaHr_yolAevJGYgRcohd68kXAtlOAJ88q35TTpNB-TY2BaOAV49GWIZq0lSrfEIqzeGkltZq9NUm-O1rQxHGDGC17R24iIVt0_1Jz0Gv6ZvHNuRO9GtXVkhx-w53z_Ap7xtSs!/

Member for

11 years 3 months

Hi All,
Many thanks to the reply's and Scorpion, many thanks for clearing my question especially. :eagerness:

Geoff.